Hey - I'm new

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey everyone! I'm new to this board. I'm from the March 2007 Playroom. I just started doing CIO with my 2 month old. He started out sleeping in his crib when we first got home, but when he was 1 1/2 weeks old he started crying as soon as he was put in the crib. He is our first baby so we didn't really know how to handle this situation. We ended up letting him sleep with us because we were desperate for some sleep, and our pediatrician said it was fine to let him do that because he couldn't form any habits at his age. Well, we ended up going to a new pediatrician recently because we had some issues with the old one, and this new one told us we needed to get him in his crib because he could form habits. So we've been trying CIO with him because nothing else has worked at all.

So we started this officially on Monday night, and it's SO incredibly hard! That makes tonight the 3rd night of doing this. My question is how long do you ladies think this will take before he learns to sleep on his own, and there will no longer be all this crying and screaming to get to sleep?

Also, when we put him in his crib we always make sure all his needs are met: he's been fed, he has a clean diaper, etc. He has a bedtime routine every night that includes a bath, storytime, and a feeding. He always falls asleep nursing so I have to wake him up throughout it to continue. He definitely knows when it's bedtime because we he's slept with us he goes right to sleep plus he's always so tired while nursing. I just don't know what to do because I don't know if he's too young to let him CIO or what.

ETA: I must also add that when we let him CIO until he falls asleep, but whenever he wakes up later in the night (usually around 3 1/2-4 1/2 hours since the last time he ate) I always get up to feed him and change his diaper. Then I'll put him back in the crib when he's drowsy but awake, and we start the process over. He's definitely not ready to sleep through the night so I always feed him when he wakes up as long as it's been at least 3 1/2 hours because he normally goes 4-5 hours during the day. Anyway, I guess I'm just worried right now that he's too young to do CIO, but his pediatrician said to do it. What do you think?

May 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Kath113's Avatar Pogo Addict
I think your pediatrician is full of hooey. 2 months is too young and I'm a CIO supporter. Having a 7 month old right now and having just gone through the age of yours myself recently, I can tell you they do not understand CIO at 2 months old. They only understand that they are hungry in the middle of the nite or that they need to cuddle or they need their diaper changed or whatever. My personal opinion is, you brought a baby into this world, so you should accept that you will not get uninterrupted sleep for many months. Get out of bed and go cuddle and/or feed your baby when he wakes up.
May 11th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto, I am a big CIO supporter as well and IMO 2 months is too young. If you want to transition him to the crib, you can still work on that, but I would not leave him crying in the room.
My DS was the same way, there was no way to get him to sleep in his crib at all for the first 6 weeks or so. So I let him sleep in his swing or co-slept, whatever I had to do to get some rest. About 7 or 8 weeks I started working on the crib again and I would do the bedtime routine, lay him down with his soother and stay in the rocking chair right next to his crib so I could comfort him and touch him and let him get used to the fact that Mommy is always close by, even if I'm not holding him. He didn't actually fall asleep in the crib for the first few days but I made the amount of time longer and longer each night and by the end of that week he was falling asleep in there, and started sleeping through the night shortly after he was used to the crib.

Good luck to you!

May 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not at all saying I think 2 months is old enough to let him CIO, but I just want to clear something up something. I do not at all leave my son in his crib to cry if he wakes up crying in the middle of the night. I always, and I mean ALWAYS go in there to comfort him, feed him, change him, etc. So please don't think his pediatrician was even suggesting to leave him to cry even when he woke up. She said to let him cry if all his needs were met. She said if he's been fed, changed, burped, etc., and after rocking him and all he starts getting drowsy put him down. If he cries she said to let him for a little while.

Nights are actually great for him. It's naptime that's hard. He goes right to sleep in his crib at night, but he struggles with sleeping at all during the day even though he's clearly tired.

May 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Quote:
She said to let him cry if all his needs were met.[/b]
That's what CIO is to me!

If it's just naptimes that he is having this problem, maybe he is getting overtired. Try putting him down sooner, don't wait until you can clearly tell he needs a nap.

Have you had any more luck the past couple days?

May 19th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's still only naptimes. It's so weird how he sleeps so great at night (I mean no problems at all), but naptime is so hard. At night we have his routine, and half-way through it he starts to get fussy. I guess because he knows it's bedtime, and he gets so tired. However, even though he gets so fussy and tired during the middle of the routine as soon as I'm through feeding and burping him I lie him down in his crib, and before I even walk out of the room he's found his thumb and is sucking. This is what ultimately puts him to sleep every time. But for some reason he has a hard time finding his thumb during the day. At night, though, he ALWAYS finds it. Last night he went to sleep at 8:30 and didn't wake up until 4:30 am! So clearly he's learned to soothe himself at night - it's just during the day that's a problem.

He loves his paci, but the problem is he can't seem to keep it in his mouth for long so he just gets upset everytime it falls out (it wakes him up once it falls out). Well, I've been trying a new thing with him that seems to be working OK so far. I swaddle him up real tightly, give him his paci, and hold him either until he gets drowsy or falls asleep. I then lie him down in his pack n play in the living room. After a few minutes I take the paci from him before it has a chance to fall out. For some reason he continues sleeping if I take it from him (even while he's sucking on it). I don't mind holding him until he falls asleep during the day at all because he's doing so well at night even though we've been doing naptime so differently, and hopefully when he gets older he'll be able to self-soothe himself easier with his thumb.

May 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
We ended up letting him sleep with us because we were desperate for some sleep, and our pediatrician said it was fine to let him do that because he couldn't form any habits at his age.[/b]
I think this ped is wrong, humans and human babies are creatures of habit at any age and once they are used to sleeping with you it is harder for them to sleep alone. I think you should slow down on the letting him cry thing, he is only 2 months old and could need night time feedings and other things. Instead of just letting him cry try some other approaches.... like how many ounces of breastmilk/formula is he getting during the day? If you are breastfeeding you may not know. But if he is not getting enough during the day he may still need a night time feeding. Try doing one thing at a time, if you want him to sleep in a crib put him in the crib to go to sleep at night.... rock him until his calm but not asleep and then lay him down. Return and repeat as necessary over and over and over. Just be persistant, but don't leave him all alone for his stress levels to go way high. Later you can worry about getting rid of nighttime feedings, but don't do it all at once.
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
May 31st, 2007, 07:12 AM
How is Asher doing now? Any easier naps yet?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search