Traditional Parenting Mommies

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies, this is replacing the old sticky, I just wanted to keep it updated.

My name is Mel, and I am mommy to two wonderful kiddos: Haley is 5 and Tyler is 19 mos. I am pretty much TP all the way; I believe in age-appropriate CIO, I am not anti-spanking when it is necessary and not done in anger (for me it is a last resort), and I believe kids should sleep in thier own crib/beds. We use disposable diapers, are not much into baby wearing, I have a snuggli that I love for walks but not really around the house. I would never consider home-schooling and we are very pro-vax although I am delaying the Chicken Pox Vaccine until age 4.

Basically I believe that raising your child should be parent-led and not child-led.

I formula fed both and I am very anti-circ, although I strongly believe that these two things should never be grouped into a parenting style.

Nice to meet you all!!

May 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Basically I believe that raising your child should be parent-led and not child-led.[/b]
Ditto to that!

I am Valerie--SAHM to Troy who is 17 months. I fall pretty much into the category of TP--it's how I was raised and think I turned out pretty darn good and it's what I believe although, I can understand AP--it's just not for me! I BF, use disposable diapers, let TRoy CIO when necessary, will spank when I feel it's necessary, but will try many other forms of discipline before hand, and he will ALWAYS be in his own room! I am vaxing on schedule as well. I can't promise I will be here daily because of the other boards I cohost and am active in, but will do my best~

May 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
bexmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bexmommy Send a message via MSN to bexmommy Send a message via Skype™ to bexmommy
Hi girls im Becci 27 DF Jake 24, DS Reece 7, Ds Jay 5 and Keira 13 months. I live in England UK and I'm Def a TP I believe children need boundary's. I believe in spanking too, i was spanked so was DF, didn't do us any harm! Looked forward to getting to know you all
May 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
i guess i'm a traditional parent too!
i spank my boys when they need it.
used disposable diapers cause i sure don't want to wash a poopy cloth one.
and both my boys drank formula alnog with nursing cause i'm in school 6 hours a day.
and mine don't just cry it out, they cry it out in time out cause i don't want to listen to it.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
May 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM

May 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I pop in here once in a while. I used to co-host but haven't had time for as many boards lately.

I'm Kelly, mommy of Davey. I'm 23 (I'll be 24 next month) and wife of Dave who is 29. We have been married since September 21st, 2002 and have been together since September 18th 2000.

I am mostly TP, I use 'sposies, I believe (and have used) CIO/sleep training, I without a doubt, vaccinate my child, and I plan on sending him off to school when he's the right age of course.

My son is circ'd, but I think that is a personal decision that a family must make on their own.

I tried to BF but things weren't working out for me and the thought of BF'ing was giving me panick attacks, so I ended up pumping for 2 weeks then just throwing in the towel all together.

May 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I fit no where, so I hope I can post in both forums.

Quote:
Basically I believe that raising your child should be parent-led and not child-led.

I formula fed both and I am very anti-circ, although I strongly believe that these two things should never be grouped into a parenting style.

Nice to meet you all!![/b]
I agree. However, how we lead our children is slightly different.

We use a crib thats in the same room as our bed (until they are older)

I am formula feeding with an experience much like this:

Quote:
I tried to BF but things weren't working out for me and the thought of BF'ing was giving me panick attacks, so I ended up pumping for 2 weeks then just throwing in the towel all together.[/b]
That happened to me twice, so I am pretty sure I will be formula feeding from birth any future children..... well it depends on the day, sometimes I think I have it in me to try again

We circumcised our boy and will most likely do it with any future boys, and I definitely feel that is a traditional thing to do.

Though IMO homeschooling is not a crunchy thing.... I know there are whole movements of very mainstream people homeschooling. Its funny how things fall into different people's lists.

I guess that's it... other than that I'm crunchy with grace based discipline (which is very much parent led ) and cloth diapers.
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
May 21st, 2007, 03:11 AM
babyreaves's Avatar Super Mommy
I am Kristen and I'm 22 years old (23 on May 29th). I have been married to my husband for two and a half years and we are currently stationed on Guam because my husband is in the USAF. I am originally from California (born and raised). We just had our first baby together on April 19th her name is Ciara Janae. I am graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Public Relations on May 27th. I believe in spanking (as long as it's not done out of anger, and the child knows exactly why they are being punished) I am half breast feeding/half formula feeding... I wanted to exclusively breastfeed, but I got really sick after labor and had to be re-admitted to the hospital. I think I believe in CIO beginning at 1-2 years of age, but we'll see if that changes over time (like everything else I believed in about parenting). I believe in crib sleeping, but my little miss priss is so needy that she won't let me put her down for a second so she sleeps with me (and her bassinett, but she has been fussy in there lately) but in a couple moire months she will be in her crib (my bed is a MARITAL bed).I believe in respectful and polite children, because quite frankly I am disturbed by how children speak to their parents and behave in public...kids used to be so well behaved, I can't stand when people say we should try and reason with our children (you can't reason with a toddler!) Like the previous poster said parent-led, not child-led
May 21st, 2007, 05:17 AM
Quote:
I fit no where, so I hope I can post in both forums. [/b]
Of course!

May 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
M4NE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone!! I'm Lee and I have 3 boys, ages 4, 3, and 5 months. I'm very TP!! We did CIO with the two older boys but haven't had to with Zach b/c he goes to sleep easily and usually on his own. I FF and feel very strongly that formula is not the evil that some people make it out to be...I've got 3 very happy, healthy FF boys to prove it!! We use disposable diapers. The boys aren't circ'ed but that was b/c of a medical problem Daniel had shortly after birth(I figured he'd been stuck and poked enough)Since he wasn't circ'd we didn't circ the other two, but I have no problem with circ. I have begun using a baby carrier for Zach, but he's nearly 19 lbs at 5 months and baby wearing is just easier for me....and it leaves my hands free for the other two!! We also spank and my boys will be attending public school. Even though I am a teacher, I know that I don't have the patience with my own children to effectively homeschool them. They will be attending the school where I teach.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 30th, 2007, 03:41 AM
jekr43's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I'm Julie and I'm 27 and my litttle girl Amanda is 10 months old. I am a SAHM.

May 30th, 2007, 06:38 AM

June 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
jekr43's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I'm Julie and mom to a 10 month old, Amanda. Live in Chicago and a SAHM.

June 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Becta1206's Avatar Veteran
I am very much a traditional parent.
My children's vaccinations are right on schedule.
My son is circumcised and my future sons will be as well.
I spank my children when they need it and everything else doesn't work.
I used cloth diapers once for my son and I didnt like cleaning the poppy diaper so I switched.
Both of my child drank formula because I had a hard time nursing my son when he was first born.
They sleep in their own rooms and always will. I have used CIO/sleep training for my daughter and it worked. She nows goes to sleep easily and quickly. My son went to sleep fast anyways.
My son goes to public school and LOVES it and I would have it no other way.

<div align="center"></div>
June 7th, 2007, 05:40 AM

June 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
Hey Ladies!

I'm Lily. I'm the co-host of the SAHM Board here on JM. I'm 27, and married to Joe. I'm a SAHM and he is in the US Navy. We currently live in Connecticut. We have one daughter, named Gabrielle Mary.

I believe in parent led child rearing with respect and encouragement.
Belle's Vaccine schedule is right on time.
I supplimented formula and breastmilk, Belle got the best of both worlds.
I let Belle sit in the cart at the grocery store, buckled in.
I use disposable diapers and pacifiers.
I use both spanking and time outs, where they are appropriate.
Belle has slept in her crib since she was a week old. She never slept in bed with us, she slept in the basinette attachment of her Packn'Play that sat on my side of the bed for that first week.
I'm a believer in CIO, as age appropriate.

Right now, tonight June 20th, is the 3rd night Belle has gone to sleep without a pacifier at all. And I'm so proud of her!

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
June 20th, 2007, 04:46 AM
and WTG Belle!!!

July 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Regular
Hi. My name's Jan, and I am 29, married with 3 kids:

Kyle 11-03-95
Elizabeth 2-11-99
Dennis 7-01-01

I'm more on the traditional side than the attachment side, although I have gotten some good insights from reading AP material at times.
July 5th, 2007, 04:22 PM

July 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
AshesL78's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to AshesL78
Hi! I am Ashley, 29 from TX. I live with my boyfriend Keith. Between the both of us, we have 5 kids. Our kids are Xander 2, Delaney 2, Alerric 3, Myranda 5, and Zachary 11. Xander and Zachary are mine and Delaney, Alerric and Myranda are his.

My kids were bottlefed
We use disposable diapers
Our kids sleep in their own rooms in their own beds
We spank and use time out
Our children are vaccinated
The boys are circed
The oldest goes to public school, as will the others.

Thank you rawisner!
Delaney 06/09/05, Xander 06/02/05, Alerric 08/06/03, Myranda 03/06/02, Zachary 07/02/96
<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search