CIO question

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2007, 06:37 AM
koakoba's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies - My name is Krista, my daughter is 8 months old. I've started CIO at bedtime. Any tips, advise? It breaks my heart to listen to her cry. If I do the "check every 10" thing, it makes it worse. She cries even harder. So I don't let her see me if I need to check on her. Is that the right thing to do?
How long until she's better going down by herself?
Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

</div>
June 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Krista!!

There are lots of different ways to do CIO so do what you feel is best. How is she crying? Is she upset that she's not getting her way or is she screaming bloody murder? In the beginning if she is very very upset you could stay in the room a little longer but leave her in the crib. Just keep laying her down, rub her back, sing to her, stroke her face, etc and then leave the room when she is calmed down. But if it's just a mad cry because she's not getting her way, then I would just follow your normal nightly routine, give her lots of hugs and kisses, say I love you and goodnight. Then leave the room, and like you said, don't let her see you if you need to check on her.

Every baby is different but it shouldn't take more than a few days. She should be crying for less amounts of time each night, at least.

Hopefully there's some other mamas around to give you thier input too because we all do it a little differently.
Keep us posted on how she's doing!! Good luck!

June 25th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds horrible but we just put him in bed and never went in to check on him, he got even more upset if we did that. We do have a video monitor so we were watching him, we just didn't go in his room. The first night was the worst and by night 4 he was not crying at all when we laid him down and slept for 12 hrs, it was great. Ever since he's been a great sleeper too. HTH.
June 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
She screams bloody murder - but it is getting somewhat better. It's been about a week, and she's down to about 20min to 1/2 hour at most. Then she just conks. I'm hoping she continues to improve, my nerves can't take much more. I was rocking her to sleep, and I still rock her as part of the night time routine, but I think that's the hardest part for her - she'd gotten used to the rocking as a sleep aid. eek. I don't feel I should cut the rocking out - because when dad puts her to sleep he doesn't do it at all, and she cries longer... so it does help to calm her and slow her down. Or maybe I should?? I don't know...

Thanks for your advise ladies

</div>
June 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
You can definitely keep the rocking as part of the nightly routine, as long as you are not rocking her to sleep. Rock her for a certain amount of time and then put her to bed when she is still awake, because ultimately she needs to learn how to self-soothe and fall asleep on her own.
You're doing great, just keep it up!!

I love the messy face pic in your siggy, btw. Too cute!!!

June 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks - she LOVES carrots. As you can see. She went down really well tonight!!! Early too - but she didn't get a long afternoon nap.

</div>
June 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Yay!

June 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM
bexmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bexmommy Send a message via MSN to bexmommy Send a message via Skype™ to bexmommy
Welcome tot he board! Glad to hear that she's settling down now
July 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
How are you doing, I hope Ella's still making progress!

July 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It sounds horrible but we just put him in bed and never went in to check on him, he got even more upset if we did that.[/b]
That was the same way with us. Glad she's improving though! It is hard, but CIO has been the only thing that works for us--but it still tears me up when he does it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search