Is your child required to eat everything on their plate?

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Jami&Marshall's Avatar Jami&Marshall
Send a message via MSN to Jami&Marshall
or can they be done when they say they are full? I ask because I have a child who is a grazer and will not necessarily eat everything on his plate and I don't force him to but people have made comments that he should "clean his plate".

June 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well we aren't up to that age yet but basically, here is my take on this issue.

When AJ is young, he will have to eat enough to make me happy (so I know he's gotten enough healthy food, etc.). He will will also have to eat a good variety. So for example, if his dinner is applesauce, chicken cut up into little pieces and carrots, he can't eat all the applesauce and nothing else.

As he gets older, yes, he'll have to clean his plate if he wants to have dessert.

February, 2005
August, 2005
June 26th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I require that he eat all of his veggies and all of his meat, and all of his milk, the carb side I could care less about, but I also don't give him a ton for his first serving, if he wants more he can have more, but yes he's required to eat all of his veggie and all of his meat and all of his milk.
June 27th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, they don't have to clean thier plates, they eat until they are full. But if I think Haley's not really full and just doesn't want to eat her veggies, then she doesn't get any dessert or snacks until the next meal.

June 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
We don't make Belle "clean" her plate, but we do watch what she eats and how much. She isn't a picky child but she will refuse to eat foods because they are cold, so we have to be sure we watch that. Especially in restaurants. At home or out to eat, we'll put a set amount on Belle's plate is she finishes it all, then she gets seconds, however if she finishes most of it and refuses, say her broccoli (which is something she likes), then we'll encourage her to eat it by sharing it with her or giving her a little extra of something she does like and that usually gets the broccoli in her mouth too.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
June 29th, 2007, 12:10 AM
AnnieP1970's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to AnnieP1970 Send a message via MSN to AnnieP1970 Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieP1970
Yes, usually Emily is required to eat everything on her plate. I put enough on there that I know she'll eat it. There are alot of times she will say she's full because she is looking for something else that isn't on her plate. Usually if I don't have her clean her plate she'll be complaining in an hour or so that she's hungry.
June 29th, 2007, 06:18 AM
wolfpack's Avatar I need a frappuccino!
No. We have them eat a certin ammount of their food. We usually put on their plate a little bit more than we think they will eat. That usually buys us a little time to eat some of our own meal! lol Some weeks they will clean that out and still ask for more. Other weeks they will hardly eat anything on their plate and truly be full. They cycle with how much they eat as they have growth spurts and plateaus.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search