Boys saves mom in housefire

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I came accross this news clip this morning.

It made me feel very guilty that we do not have a fire extinguisher in our house, and not only that, but I haven't really talked to Haley (my 5 year old) a whole lot about what to do in case of a fire. She knows stop, drop and roll, but that's about it.

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home?
Do your kids know how to use it (if they are old enough, obviously)?
Do you check your smoke detectors regularly?
Have you talked to your kids about fires, and do you have an escape route or plan?

July 19th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? YES
Do your kids know how to use it (if they are old enough, obviously)? No, not really old enough just yet.
Do you check your smoke detectors regularly? My hubby is supposed to do that...but ours has a beeper alarm that
goes off when the battery is low.
Have you talked to your kids about fires, and do you have an escape route or plan? um, no.... guess i need to do that.

July 19th, 2007, 07:56 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ben's too young to understand, but we do have one fire extinguisher, and we check the smoke detectors once or twice a year.
July 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Jami&Marshall's Avatar Jami&Marshall
Send a message via MSN to Jami&Marshall
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? Yes, in the kitchen
Do your kids know how to use it (if they are old enough, obviously)? N/A since he's on 20 months
Do you check your smoke detectors regularly? Justin does this religiously
Have you talked to your kids about fires, and do you have an escape route or plan? N/A again since he is so little but we (Justin and me) both know our escape plan

Our smoke detectors were beeping one time in the middle of the night when Justin burnt some bacon and it woke me up but Marshall didn't hear it, so we are going to purchase one of the smoke detectors for his room that the parents can talk into, so he hears our voices and wakes up when it goes off.

July 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Our smoke detectors were beeping one time in the middle of the night when Justin burnt some bacon and it woke me up but Marshall didn't hear it, so we are going to purchase one of the smoke detectors for his room that the parents can talk into, so he hears our voices and wakes up when it goes off.[/b]
I've never heard of something like that!

July 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Jami&Marshall's Avatar Jami&Marshall
Send a message via MSN to Jami&Marshall
Quote:
Quote:
Our smoke detectors were beeping one time in the middle of the night when Justin burnt some bacon and it woke me up but Marshall didn't hear it, so we are going to purchase one of the smoke detectors for his room that the parents can talk into, so he hears our voices and wakes up when it goes off.[/b]
I've never heard of something like that!
[/b]
They have them at Home Depot for about $30 U.S. I guess you just record your voice into them like "Marshall wake up" and while the other smoke detectors are beeping, he hears me talking to him.

July 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM
OkieAlli's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm new on this board, but I saw this thread and just wanted to point something else out to you. Do you have vent/light/fan/heaters in your bathrooms? Last month, my DH were out in our backyard washing the dog (my dd, Claire, was at her grandparents house), and had only been outside for about 30 min or so when I looking inside to see the time and noticed our power was out. I told DH, we started looking around the other houses to see if it was the whole street or what. Everyone else had power. That's when he said he smelled something burning, but I didn't. We were looking all around, but never thought to go INSIDE! I walked around to the front of the house and when I looked up, I saw smoke pouring out the attic turbans and out the sides of our house! I ran inside and my house was full of thick black smoke. I ran around (on the floor) looking for the fire and when I went into our room, it was the worst. I peeked around into our bathroom to see it was on fire. DH busted out our window, grabbed the garden hose and put the fire out before it burned our house down, thank God! Here's what I want EVERYONE to know, the whole thing started b/c we left our fan/light on in our bathroom, it shorted out, caught fire and then caught the ceiling on fire, ceiling gave way, fell to the floor and caught the floor/rug on fire. It's just not something you think about catching your house on fire. So PLEASE turn them off when you go to bed, leave the house or even go outside! This can also apply to ceiling fans, so just be aware when you leave your house. This thing was not old, not faulty (to our knowledge) and was installed by a certified electrician. You just never know.

July 19th, 2007, 05:56 PM
OMG! Thank goodness you caught it in time, and most of all that no one was hurt!!

Thanks for sharing that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search