Cry It Out

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What CIO method worked best for you?
What age do you feel is appropriate for CIO?

Please share your tips and experiences!

July 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Jami&Marshall's Avatar Jami&Marshall
Send a message via MSN to Jami&Marshall
What CIO method worked best for you? I just didn't make eye contact when I went in to soothe him and I would sing 1 song to him and rub his belly or back and would turn on his mobile when I left so that he didn't feel "alone". I would let him cry 5 minutes and then go in there and soothe him initially, then wait a few minutes longer and so on.
What age do you feel is appropriate for CIO? I started CIO on a smaller scale when he was about 4 months old.

July 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For my kids I never timed the minutes or anything, I simply followed our nightly routine and put them to bed. I listened to their cries and as long as they were just fussing, I would let them be to settle down on thier own. If I could tell that they needed me, I would go back in, give them back their soother and blankie, lay them back down and rub thier face while I shushed and hummed quietly to them. When they were calm I would say goodnight and leave again. On a couple of occasions I sat in the rocking chair and let Tyler hold onto my finger through the rails of his crib until he drifted off.

But I never pick them up, once I say goodnight and put them to bed, they know that is where they are staying until morning. And I don't turn lights on, even if they need to be changed I keep things dark and quiet, and I only shh, whisper or hum to them.

August 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What CIO method worked best for you? Over 4-5 months old. And i dont let them cry long at that age without comfort...But when they get closer to a year old, its different!

March 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Mommy2n1
Keira never really had to CIO long. She would cry for a minute and then she would be asleep. She always slept really well unless she was sick. To tell you the truth I can't remember what I did with the other 2... they are so much older 12 and 8 lol.
January 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM
MrsBales06's Avatar Member
Send a message via MSN to MrsBales06 Send a message via Yahoo to MrsBales06
Dakota gets her bath and then off to bed every night. If she cries once she is in her crib I leave her to just CIO unless Her cry turns to a need mommy cry. I just check on her maybe every 10 mins but I don't touch her or talk to her, I just peer in and put her blanket back on her if she kicked it off. Usually when this happens she would only takes about 10 to 15 mins to stop and fall asleep. Once she is asleep I put her blanket back on her one more time and take her pacifire out of her crib.
I started doing this when she was about 3 & 1/2 months old because that is when she started sleeping in her crib. She falls asleep now and raerly does she cry once being put to bed and she is almost 6mos now.

<span style="color:#FF00FF">we just had

January 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
What CIO method worked best for you?I used to go in about every five minutes or so. I always just soothed his back, hummed a song until he stopped then left the room. If he started crying, I'd wait five minutes, then go in again. After awhile, I waited until ten minutes, but I never went more than that 99% of the time.
What age do you feel is appropriate for CIO? Three months
February 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for this post! We're having a HUGE problem with this and Noah is almost a year old. I've tried everything but DH isn't really cooperating and it's causing a lot of problems because now he knows if he cries hard enough and long enough eventually DH will feel bad and come in there and deal with him ... It's been really frustrating for us!
March 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Super Mommy
I just followed her cues-if it sounds like there might be a problem I would go in and try to figure out what it was and what to do about it. But if she's just fussing I let it go. I guess I started this technique around 10 months or so-I honestly don't remember. Might have been earlier than that.
April 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, here's an alternative to CIO for younger babies, if anyone is interested. I just made it up but it worked well with my son. I rocked him to sleep until he was about 3 months old, and then I started to just place him in bed at betime. After about 5 minutes he would start to fuss, at which point I would go in, and bring him out and rock him to sleep. I did this for no more than 3-4 nights in a row and its like he just suddenly "got" that was putting him in his bed to sleep, and stopped fussing and would just go to bed!

Of course, I had him babysat when he was 6 months old for an evening. The babysitter picked him up at the first sign of any fussing. Then I had to resort to CIO. I was like you Mel, I would go in and comfort him as much as he needed, but I never picked him up.

My personal opinion on what age is appropriate is not before 6 months.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search