Time-Outs

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What time-out methods work best for you?
At what age did you start using time-outs?
Do you use a chair, corner or somewhere else?
How long is the child expected to sit in time-out?
Do time-outs work for your child?

Please share your tips and experiences!

July 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Jami&Marshall's Avatar Jami&Marshall
Send a message via MSN to Jami&Marshall
What time-out methods work best for you? They only work if I sit there with him and talk to him about what he has done wrong
At what age did you start using time-outs? I started about 18 months when I felt like he could sort of grasp the concept
Do you use a chair, corner or somewhere else? I sit him on a kitchen chair
How long is the child expected to sit in time-out? Usually about 30 seconds to 1 minute, long enough for me to explain things and give him time to process it.
Do time-outs work for your child? I usually start with redirection because even at his age, he doesn't full grasp the concept of time-out.

July 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had to start time-outs with Tyler yet, so I'll share what worked with Haley:

What time-out methods work best for you? One warning, then time-out. If she got up before her time was up, the time re-started. She had to stay put until I said time was up, and then she had to tell me what she had done wrong. ( I didn't ask her to say sorry to me, but if she was in time-out for hurting or taking toys away from her brother or step-sister, then she had to go apologize to them)
At what age did you start using time-outs? I really don't remember, probably around 3
Do you use a chair, corner or somewhere else? They started out in the chair, until she got between 4 and 5 year old, and then I started making her stand in the corner for time-outs and her behaviour changed very rapidly! The corner time-outs were extremely effective for her. Now, I honestly can't even recall the last time she's been on time-out.
How long is the child expected to sit in time-out? I did one minute per year of age for a first offense. Double the time for a second offense, and the third time would have been a spanking.
Do time-outs work for your child? Yes.

I also wanted to add that I am guilty of sending to her room many, many times. Obviously her room is full of toys and books and this was not a punishment for her in any way. It was simply me taking the easy way out and wanting some cool-off time of my own. It was around this time that the chair time-outs stopped working because she had stopped taking me seriously. Once I realized how lazy I was being in my parenting I started the corner time-outs and I have had my little angel back ever since.

September 1st, 2007, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What time-out methods work best for you? Setting a certain amount of time there, facing away from any tv or people or anything...
At what age did you start using time-outs? about 2.5
Do you use a chair, corner or somewhere else? a chair in the corner or sometimes i send to the room
How long is the child expected to sit in time-out? 1 minute=age. So now shes almost 4, she'll be in for 4 minutes, and if she acts up while in time out, itll be extended another minute.
Do time-outs work for your child? at times, but not always.

March 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Mommy2n1
What time-out methods work best for you? Removing them from the behavior
At what age did you start using time-outs? around 18 months with my other 2
Do you use a chair, corner or somewhere else? With my son we had him put his nose on the wall.. we didn't have many empty corners.. with my daughter we had a chair in the corner
How long is the child expected to sit in time-out? 1 minute per year...
Do time-outs work for your child? they did at times and at times no..
February 18th, 2010, 04:13 AM
[QUOTE=Laney21;5986229]
What time-out methods work best for you? I always warn cameron first so she knows if she doesn't stop whatever it is then she is going to timeout, at first she didn't understand but she picked up really quick. when she was 1 and a half if Isaid do you wanna go in timeout she would shake her head no.
At what age did you start using time-outs? early
Do you use a chair, corner or somewhere else?Whatever corner was closest
How long is the child expected to sit in time-out?I would leave her there for about a minute and then check back with her ask her if she knew why she was in timeout, if she was sorry if she understood not to do it again, sometimes she gives in easily and says sorry and is fine other times she will sit there crying for 20 minutes and keep trying to get up and I keep sitting her down but she never gets up without telling me she is going to stop or whatever it was and I don't hesitate to take her back if she starts again
Do time-outs work for your child?very much

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search