Potty Training

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At what age did you start potty training your child?
What type of "potty" did you use?
What methods worked for your child?
What kinds of encouragement and/or rewards did you use?
Did you use pull-ups or real underwear when training?

Please share your tips and experiences!

July 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
At what age did you start potty training your child? Haley was 2 and a half.
What type of "potty" did you use? She had her own potty seat, not one on the big toilet.
What methods worked for your child? We waited for a weekend that we could stay in all weekend with no distractions and focus all our energy on that. It was a big Potty Party weekend.
~I gave her as much to drink as she wanted all weekend, to encourage her to go more often.
~We had a toy potty for her to teach her dolls on, potty training books and movies, and pretty new panties.
~I would ask her every 15 mins if she felt like she needed to go. Every hour we would both go sit on the potty and try. If she didn't have to go, she would get a sticker for trying anyway. And if she did go on the potty she would get special gold stickers that she could display on her potty.
~Every single time she went on the potty throughout the whole weekend we made a HUGE deal out of it! It was a big celebration, hugs, kisses and praise galore! She could also call the grandparents or other family members to tell them about it if she wanted to.
What kinds of encouragement and/or rewards did you use? described above
Did you use pull-ups or real underwear when training? Real underwear, she wore a diaper overnight but panties the rest of the weekend.

She was fully trained for daytime after those 2 days, and night trained soon after as well. She has only had a handful of accidents overnight, usually when she was sick or had a nightmare.

August 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
At what age did you start potty training your child? At first I used pullups, and then after I knew she was doing good and was trained enough to know when she had to go to the potty, I gave her panties only. Even if that meant we had to change her panties 4-5x a day!

March 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Mommy2n1
I am far away from training Keira.. but this is what I did for Sean and Traci.. each was a little different so I'll answer for each

Sean:
At what age did you start potty training your child? 2 but didn't happen until 2 1/2
What type of "potty" did you use? We bought a potty seat
What methods worked for your child? nothing until HE was ready...
What kinds of encouragement and/or rewards did you use? none because he did it himself.
Did you use pull-ups or real underwear when training? Pull ups

Traci:

At what age did you start potty training your child? 2 she was ready
What type of "potty" did you use? both the potty seat and the one on the big potty
What methods worked for your child? nothing she was ready... She trained herself in the matter of a weekend
What kinds of encouragement and/or rewards did you use? None
Did you use pull-ups or real underwear when training? Actually it was summer time so she didn't wear anything at all and then we would put the diapers on at night in case of accidents and then underwear during the day.

April 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At what age did you start potty training your child? He potty trained himself around 25 months old.
What type of "potty" did you use? little potty topper seat thing
What methods worked for your child? letting HIM decide when he was ready. I had tried to start him about two months prior to that and he hadn't been ready so I had decided to wait when he suprised me with doing it all by himself.
What kinds of encouragement and/or rewards did you use? lots of verbal encouragement, no rewards. I did lots of cheering everytime and told him what a big boy he was.
Did you use pull-ups or real underwear when training? I went more with the full time naked method He wore underwear when dressed but he was pretty big on being naked when at home at the time.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

February 18th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney21 View Post
At what age did you start potty training your child? Haley was 2 and a half.
What type of "potty" did you use? She had her own potty seat, not one on the big toilet.
What methods worked for your child? We waited for a weekend that we could stay in all weekend with no distractions and focus all our energy on that. It was a big Potty Party weekend.
~I gave her as much to drink as she wanted all weekend, to encourage her to go more often.
~We had a toy potty for her to teach her dolls on, potty training books and movies, and pretty new panties.
~I would ask her every 15 mins if she felt like she needed to go. Every hour we would both go sit on the potty and try. If she didn't have to go, she would get a sticker for trying anyway. And if she did go on the potty she would get special gold stickers that she could display on her potty.
~Every single time she went on the potty throughout the whole weekend we made a HUGE deal out of it! It was a big celebration, hugs, kisses and praise galore! She could also call the grandparents or other family members to tell them about it if she wanted to.
What kinds of encouragement and/or rewards did you use? described above
Did you use pull-ups or real underwear when training? Real underwear, she wore a diaper overnight but panties the rest of the weekend.

She was fully trained for daytime after those 2 days, and night trained soon after as well. She has only had a handful of accidents overnight, usually when she was sick or had a nightmare.

This has definitly given me some hope I'm really glad I read this and can't wait to try it out in a couple months thanks
February 28th, 2010, 03:50 PM
You are very welcome, good luck!!!! They really have to be ready so don't get discouraged if the first try doesn't work out, just give it a month and try again. One day it will just sort of click with them and all of a sudden it will be a breeze!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search