CIO

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM
Julz81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Julz81 Send a message via Yahoo to Julz81
I need help, for the last week my son has not been wanting to take his naps and wakes in the middle of the night for about two hours. I know he is tired for his nap cause he falls asleep in the living room and when i move him into his crib he will wake up and start screaming and screaming. He wont stay laying down he stands and screams. How long do i let him cry it out? And do i go back in to pat his back at all or anything? Yesterday I let him cry for about 30 min then went in and got him. Should I wait longer?

He really needs to start taking naps again cause if he does not he is horrible cranky.

oh by the way he is 20 months old. and has started the terrible two, i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

BFP: 04/03/2014 EDD: 12/15/2014 HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

July 31st, 2007, 12:06 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here are my suggestions--Troy (almost 20 months old) isn't a great sleeper, so I am not the best to answer this, but here you go anyway:
1) Naptime routine--either around the same time or when he shows signs of tiredness, start your routine and prevent him from falling asleep elsewhere so there's no transition.
2) CIO is different for everyone--I cannot go in and pat on the back bc it makes it worse, so I just have to set a time limit (usually 15-20 minutes has been tops for me). Others can go in, comfort without picking up and it works fine.

Here are a few questions for you though:
Does he resist his crib at night? Maybe he's wanting a bed????
Is there any other change going on--change of schedule, teething, vacations.....?? That could be disrupting him as well.

Good luck!

July 31st, 2007, 01:22 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since you said naps I'm not sure if you mean more than one per day, and if he's still having 2 naps, he is probably ready to cut it back to one nap. And I agree with Valerie, go set him in his crib at the very first signs of him getting tired, and don't let him fall asleep anywhere else.

And as for the CIO at night, have you tried going in to comfort him without picking him up before? Does he get even more upset, or does he calm down while you are in the room?

At his age, I'm sure he completely understands that it is bedtime and he's just upset because he's not getting his way. So if my son were to start that at this age (he's 21 mos) then I would just let him settle down on his own, no matter how long it took. You've got to be more stubborn than he is. As long as he doesn't need you for anything, like a diaper change, then he's fine!

Good luck!

July 31st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
At his age, I'm sure he completely understands that it is bedtime and he's just upset because he's not getting his way.
You've got to be more stubborn than he is. As long as he doesn't need you for anything, like a diaper change, then he's fine![/b]
to that! I think a minute for every age month is a good rule. 20 months old=20 min of CIO before you go in at all.
You could try to go in then, lay him back down if hes up, rub/pat his back for a minute & if he calms down any--leave without ever
talking. Talking to him & giving him eye contact can just stimulate him more to be awake. after that try not to go back in unless of
course its just to the point that hes crying so much that you just feel the need to go in, b/c I know its hard to listen to. BUT do try to
atleast wait in 20 min intervals or longer, give him time to calm hisself and possibly go to sleep.

My daughter stopped taking naps around 2 years old, i tried and tried for a while to make her nap and i would let her lay in
bed for over an hour and she would just cry and never fall asleep. She is just not a napper...

July 31st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Here are my suggestions--Troy (almost 20 months old) isn't a great sleeper, so I am not the best to answer this, but here you go anyway:1) Naptime routine--either around the same time or when he shows signs of tiredness, start your routine and prevent him from falling asleep elsewhere so there's no transition.2) CIO is different for everyone--I cannot go in and pat on the back bc it makes it worse, so I just have to set a time limit (usually 15-20 minutes has been tops for me). Others can go in, comfort without picking up and it works fine.Here are a few questions for you thoughoes he resist his crib at night? Maybe he's wanting a bed????Is there any other change going on--change of schedule, teething, vacations.....?? That could be disrupting him as well.Good luck![/b]
He's fine when he goes to bed at night. But we just have to pat his back for a few min. and he will fall asleep. The only change that has happened lately is that we joined the YMCA and he has been going to the babysitting. This is the first time he has been left with anyone he does not know. So I am not sure if its affecting him or not. He seems to love it, lately he does not want to leave. lol
Quote:
Since you said naps I'm not sure if you mean more than one per day, and if he's still having 2 naps, he is probably ready to cut it back to one nap. And I agree with Valerie, go set him in his crib at the very first signs of him getting tired, and don't let him fall asleep anywhere else. yeah he only takes one nap a day, sorry that's what i meantAnd as for the CIO at night, have you tried going in to comfort him without picking him up before? Does he get even more upset, or does he calm down while you are in the room? He calms down while I'm in the room but just starts right back up as soon as I leave. He will stand at the corner of the bed and just screamAt his age, I'm sure he completely understands that it is bedtime and he's just upset because he's not getting his way. So if my son were to start that at this age (he's 21 mos) then I would just let him settle down on his own, no matter how long it took. You've got to be more stubborn than he is. As long as he doesn't need you for anything, like a diaper change, then he's fine! Good luck![/b]
thanks I'm going to try this tomorrow
Quote:
Quote:
At his age, I'm sure he completely understands that it is bedtime and he's just upset because he's not getting his way.You've got to be more stubborn than he is. As long as he doesn't need you for anything, like a diaper change, then he's fine![/b]
to that! I think a minute for every age month is a good rule. 20 months old=20 min of CIO before you go in at all.You could try to go in then, lay him back down if hes up, rub/pat his back for a minute & if he calms down any--leave without evertalking. Talking to him & giving him eye contact can just stimulate him more to be awake. after that try not to go back in unless ofcourse its just to the point that hes crying so much that you just feel the need to go in, b/c I know its hard to listen to. BUT do try to atleast wait in 20 min intervals or longer, give him time to calm hisself and possibly go to sleep. My daughter stopped taking naps around 2 years old, i tried and tried for a while to make her nap and i would let her lay inbed for over an hour and she would just cry and never fall asleep. She is just not a napper...[/b]
Thanks I will try this. I really think he still needs the naps since he will fall asleep on the bouncy chair or the floor every day, its when i have to move him. I will put him in there soon next time.

August 1st, 2007, 05:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
your kids are adorable by the way!!! I was just checkin out your siggie

August 1st, 2007, 05:30 AM
Thanks!

August 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM
mikala101505's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i work with this age at a daycare and when we are trying to get them to go to sleep we set next to them cover them with the blanket head and all then if they still try to resist we will pat them on the back it usually works because with the blanket over them thye don't see any distractions once they fall asleep we take the blanket off of course!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search