Olivia Kellie's Birth Story 5/11/12

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Neverland's Newest Arrivals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I woke up thursday May 11th, and treated it like any other day. I took my kids to their playdate in the morning. This is when i guess my labor began. I was having contractions about every 20 minutes, i wasnt timing them, so im not 100% sure, but it wasnt too often, i had to stop during them, but it wasnt outrageous pain, and not once did i think it was anything to worry about.

We got home from our playdate around 1, and i put my kids down for their naps, and was so tired. So i tried to take a nap, but again was getting woken up every 20 minutes ( this time i noticed how often because i was trying to nap, lol) I eventually gave up at about 3, and waited for DS to wake up from his nap. At 4 he woke up and i decided to take the kids for a walk. At this point i had been having contractions for about 9 hours, but they werent getting closer together, just annoying. I remembered someone saying if you walk on the curb with one foot and the street with the other, it helps open the pelvis. So i was willing to give it a try and see if maybe the heat, or the walk would make the contractions get closer. it did not.

Charlie got home from work and we all ate some pizza, and did out nighttime routine like always. I was still having contractions 20 minutes apart. At this point i was just annoyed. I was tired of my body giving me contractions that did nothing. So since i didnt get a good nap, i decided at 9pm to go to sleep for the night. I went to the bathroom, and realized i lost my mucous plug. I texted my mom, since i was so excited my body was doing SOMETHING....ANYTHING. I knew it didnt mean much, but it was progress compared to my other pregnancies. So about an hour later my mom calls me and we were joking around and chit chatting, so always psyched me up about being in labor, and i never was. So i laughed it off. I told he i had to let her go, because in a few minutes i would be having a contraction, and that i needed to go to bed. The next contraction came right on schedule at 20 minutes. So i laid back down and tried to sleep. I started to doze off when i got my next contractions..14 minutes later, it woke me up out of my sleep. The next one came 14 minutes later too, this time it was a little painful and suddenly i heard a loud POP, screamed a profanity and stood up to see if indeed my water had just broken. I started to run to the bathroom, and realized i was drenched. I called to Charlie in the other room, that my water had broken and he needed to call a sitter. Of course, our main one was out of town, the second one didnt answer. Thankfully on the third try we called DH's boss, and he got a hold of his wife, who had just gotten in from a Chicago flight an hour before. She rushed over. No one was prepared because i was almost 2 1/2 weeks early!! I decided to get a quick shower in, since i knew i wouldnt be getting one for days. While i was undressing, my water was gushing out, i soaked the floor.

She got to our hour at about 12:30, and DH and i took off. I didnt want to wait around, even though my contractions still had not picked up past the 15-20 minute mark, almost an hour after it broke. We still had to stop and get gas, and the hospital was a 30 minute drive. In the car my contractions picked up, they went from 15 minutes, to 7 minutes, to 4 minutes and by the time we got there they were about 2-3 minutes apart. We got there and i had literally soaked through a pad, my shorts and a bath towel because i was leaking so much, it even got onto my shirt. Seriously, so much! I got to triage and no one seemed to care that i was literally soaked with amniotic fluid. I had to ask someone for help because at this point i was leaking onto their floor and i was just mortified. About 30 minutes later they finally get me in a triage room to check me, like i was lying, lol. I was dilated to a 4, which i was pleased with. I got a labor and delivery room around 2:30am, and my epi came in at 3. I was in a ton of pain, with 2-3 minute contractions at this point, i didnt waste any time, lol. Before they gave me the epi they checked me and i was at a 6. I was going FAST. I finally got my epi, and thought i was in the clear. Wrong, my epi only took on my left side. I tried to give it time to work and never really did. by 4am i was an 8-9 and almost completely effaced. But she had her head turned and was making it hard to get past that point and i couldnt relax becuase my right side was in a ton of pain. They tried to adjust my dosage, they tried pulling the needle out a bit and adjust it and finally around 6:30 i got a new epi. it kicked in so fast and i passed out for 2 hours. When i woke up they checked me and her head was right there and it was time to push. Problem was i was completely numb. My contractions to push her out were weak, and far apart, so i literally could fall asleep during them. It took about 25 minutes to get her out, and Dh and i burst into tears immediately.

My Midwife noticed my old episiotomy never healed fully( it left a hole in my perineum and it tore open during delivery, on top of i believe 2nd degree tears. Im a bit sore, but healing well and Olivia is just perfect.

Olivia Kellie was born 5/11/12 at 8:54am weighing 8lbs 8oz and 20 3/4". She was 37 weeks 5 days. It shocked me so much and i never expected her to be early, let alone that early!! But we are so thrilled and in love.
May 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Great birth story! I am so happy for you!!!

May 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Wow! Intense story! I felt like I was there! Welcome to the world Olivia!

May 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! Sorry about the one sided epi, but glad it went well enough and she's here!!! I'd have been freaking too, being so unprepared and so early, lol.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
May 13th, 2012, 11:13 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Loved reading your story! Congrats, Momma!

May 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! What a different story than your first two! Sounds like it was a great experience other than your epi. Welcome Olivia!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

May 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
What a great birth story, she is a beauty!
May 16th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Intense describes it perfectly! But still beautiful; congratulations on your little sweetheart!

May 17th, 2012, 07:30 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Congrats Shannon!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search