Aria Olivia's arrival May 31, 2012

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Neverland's Newest Arrivals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never gone into labor on my own except for when I was having Sebastian. Those lasted one hour and then stopped, at which point, the doc decided to keep me at L&D and induce.

I had been getting pain on and off for weeks and of course, I thought they were Braxton-Hicks. Last Sunday (May 27th), Aria shifted into a position that started pinching my left sciatic nerve, making my leg hurt and numb. I didn't much pay attention to it because It seemed like standard pregnancy pains and aches.

I was exceptionally tired on Wednesday. I took a long nap and my friend was supposed to come over later that night so we could hang out. I didn't want to wake up when he came over and Doug woke me up. We got Ava ready and Doug, myself, Ava and my friend all went out to Denny's.

That morning, we had gone to IHOP, just Ava, Daddy and myself and had a really good breakfast. I had to go to Target to get a few last minute things before Aria would arrive Wednesday June 6th by induction.

At Denny's that night with my friend, I was getting mildly painful contractions, but since I've been induced each time, I didn't realize that this is how labor felt like. The pain didn't encompass my entire belly, just from belly button to crotch. I couldn't tell if it was starting in my back or not, it just seemed to hurt my back consistently.

Eventually after dinner at Denny's, Doug asked me if I wanted to go home because I was so uncomfortable. I agreed and we went home. I kept feeling like I had to go to the bathroom, but these pains and need to go to the bathroom had been going on for about a week with no consistency in time.

A bit of my mucus plug came out and a tiny tinge of blood. I knew something was happening but I had no idea what. I got Ava in bed, curled up next to her and got online. I chatted with my friend online about symptoms and learned that this was quite possibly early labor. I had been timing and they were coming consistently at times and then would stop. As I was online, the pain stopped for about an hour or two, and I was finally convinced I would get some sleep.

At 2am, the pain started getting more uncomfortable, ranging from 3-11minutes in spacing. After timing for about an hour, at 3:15am, I called L&D and the charge nurse was to call me back. When she called back, at 3:30am, I had to pass the phone off to Doug because I was getting a contraction. The L&D nurse told him if I had to pass the phone off, I needed to come in.

Doug and I had a short discussion about whether we should wake the rest of the kids up. Ava of course would be coming with us, but Sebastian and Yaasmina were sleeping and I know they'd want to be there. Doug and I were concerned they might send us back home and then the kids' sleep would be interrupted for school the next day.

We woke them up anyhow as I packed my things and Doug packed his and Ava's (we had most everything, but we had to get Ava out of her PJs and into clothing), Sebastian stayed because he didn't feel good and Yaasmina came with us. I arrived at the hospital roughly at about 4:20am, there was a wheelchair waiting and the registration clerk had my things ready. I had a couple good contractions at the registration desk. Once that was done, Doug wheeled me up to L&D with Ava and Yaasmina in tow. I was weighed and brought to my LDR suite. I was having closer contractions and telling the nurse I needed someone to call anesthesia because I was going to need that epidural.

By the time I was strapped to the monitors, it was 4:36am. I was begging for an epidural, the nurse kept telling me she had to fill out forms, she had to do a cervical check, start an IV, draw blood, and then get me to sign consent forms. I told her to try to hurry. The pain was coming hard and fast. MIL had been called on the way to the hospital and she said she would be on her way up (I needed someone to watch the girls, especially since I was going to need my epidural and the only person allowed in the room would have been Doug at that point).

They said they were going to expedite the epidural and have me sign things while the anesthesiologist made his way up. It seemed forever and my contractions seemed just NOT to be stopping. The doc had been called and she said to let her know when I was 8cm. At cervical check, I was 4cm and 80%. I started losing my focus, panicking and deep down, I suspected I wouldn't get an epidural, I knew I was progressing too fast. I was told to breathe…at least five million times, and that I could do this and I WOULD do this. I was enraged.

One of the nurses let slip that she had once again called the anesthesiologist and that he had answered at home. I knew for sure then. Everyone was telling me to breathe, I wanted them to die in a fire (lol). Doug kept trying to comfort me and I kept telling him to shut up and not to touch me, I needed NO ONE to touch me at all and people kept ignoring that except Doug. My body felt like pushing, but my bottom felt like it was being pulled out and up over my head. I was screaming and pleading and felt like pushing. I pushed as hard as I could and my water broke, surprised the nurse who screamed (more of a pretty loud yelp) and THAT'S when the room's tempo caught up to mine…everyone was running around urgently ordering the doctor called, the bed prepped, etc. The charge nurse said there was no way I would cooperate with stirrups or the bed broken down and that I'd have to deliver on the bed exactly how I was (sideways on my right side which is the position I had refused to move from). I heard the nurses talk about how they could see I was starting to push baby's head out. I felt her…I knew she was right there, RIGHT there. The nurses murmured about how they wouldn't prefer to deliver the baby, but they could and they would.

My self-doubt kicked into high gear, I panicked, screamed, asked when the pain would stop because I would do ANYTHING. HOW was this baby going to fit? I felt her and it didn't seem she could fit! That pain I had on Sunday on my left sciatic nerve??? It was RAW PAIN and I could NOT spread my legs for the life of me without feeling like I was going to split in half.

I kept focusing on the air vent over the bed, and a small piece of lint that was up a bit higher. I could hear myself scream, but I was more angry than anything….then I was getting exhausted between contractions, what little time there was between them and then I bawled….I screamed again, the nurse told me the pain would stop when Aria was out….I felt it, I needed to push NOW…I pushed…I felt her head come out and I knew relief was RIGHT THERE…..the nurse told me to pant, I told her to **** off and I kept pushing, I felt the tear, but it was NOTHING compared to the relief I felt of pushing her out.

It took Doug telling me that Aria had been born, that the baby was out and even then I had no idea what that meant, I was in shock. I apologized to everyone in the room for the cussing and screaming…no one told me to stop screaming, which I was extremely grateful for. That ring of fire they talk about? I didn't feel it in specific at ALL….it was all pain and fire. Aria was immediately put naked on my skin. They left her there a good hour and eventually took her to bathe her and such. It didn't hit me for quite a while that I now had added another beautiful being to the center of my universe. 7.7lbs and 19.5 inches of perfection and love.

After 2 days now and plenty of rest, I can honestly say I am over the moon. My experience although painful and NEVER wanting to birth naturally again, was amazing. I came through it, with screaming, pleading, crying and anger, but I came through it and I'm ok. Aria's great….

Next time I'm camping out at the hospital at 36 weeks and they can start the epidural then too until I deliver

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

June 3rd, 2012, 05:34 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Aria!!

at the camping out at the hospital! How long was it from your arrival at the hospital to her birth? It sounds really fast! (sorry if you did mention that; my reading skills are getting worse by the day )

Congrats!
June 3rd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No worries and thank you!!!

I arrived at about 4:25am, I gave birth to her at 5:11am lol

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search