Liam's Birth Story (Insanely long at least in real life)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By rmarie9509

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Neverland's Newest Arrivals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2012, 09:36 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
William Daryl Hansen was finally born on Tuesday May 15th 2012. He weighed 7lbs 11oz and was 20 inches long. His Apgarís were 8 and 8, which is amazing when you know what we went through to get him here.

It all started on Monday morning when we went in for 41 week testing. I was already very anxious about him being late and his health and my being able to get him out (as most of you know.) We had the U/S first and they said everything looked okay but there were some things they looked at a little longer and some things they measured closer looking back. Then we went to the NST and it was not good even I could tell that. He has a super low and wandering baseline, lots of non-reactive traces, and decels. So the midwife on duty was summoned and she came in and talked to us. She said it didnít look great but it wasn't an immediate problem (at that point I was still on the monitor and he was regulating) so we could go home but we would schedule an induction for Wednesday before we left and she went to do that. When she came back in she said "change of plans" The supervising OB on the floor says you arenít leaving the hospital. We looked at the "bigger picture" and I agree that we should do this now. She said he wasnít in emergency danger, but things were deteriorating and waiting any longer would just be allowing them to go further and make delivery more risky.

At this point it was about 9:30 and we had to stay in the nst room on the monitor until they got us a room. They pushed back 2 scheduled inductions to make room for us. (I apologize to whoever those women are.) And we got into a room around 10. Cervadil was placed at 2pm and I was dilated to 2 at that point. I was going to be on cervadil to ripen my cervix for 12 hours and "probably wouldn't feel anything, but not to worry it was still working." Less than an hour later I was having contractions every 3 minutes that hurt pretty good and definitely would have sent me to the hospital had I been at home. We told our parents and they planned to come check in after work and then stay at our house overnight and be back in the morning after I started pit. DH went home to take care of the dogs and I just hung out and tried to distract myself from the pain by walking and watching TV and stuff. When DH got back we walked some more. Our parents got there at 9 or 10 pm and I was still trying to walk through my contractions, but I was tired of walking and they were getting more painful. Sometime before midnight I was checked by an OB student (after I gave consent) and the cervadil came out with his hand. The good news was, I was 4 cm and we could just start a new cervadil. Everyone kept say how amazed they were to see such a strong reaction from cervadil alone. Well, before the new cervadil could be ordered up from the pharmacy I went to try to pee to relive some of the pain of contractions but when I got to the toilet I hurt so bad I couldnít even sit, I was just in so much pain and contractions were hitting so fast my mom and DH and my midwife all came into the bathroom with me and we labored in there for a little bit. I started hyperventilating at that point and my face was going numb, my water broke then and I started asking for medicine. The midwife checked me and I was still only a 3 so she agreed that it would help to calm me down to have a shot of nubane. It didnít take the pain away at all but it did space the contractions out enough that I could catch my breath and it allowed me to really turn my focus in to myself. Iím not sure how much time went by on that but after it wore off I was still in a lot of pain, I was exhausted and my body was starting to fight each contraction so I asked for an epidural. The midwife suggested getting in the tub instead and I was about to agree when a contraction it that just made my body go completely weak and I was having tremors and I said I canít I just want the epidural. So she said she had to check me first and when she did I was a 7. I was really happy with my progress and really confident in my choice to get the epidural.

The guy that put it in was amazing, he actually does side lying epidurals and it was so nice and easy and painless. He said I did a great job relaxing and opening my spine and it was a perfect placement. The relief was priceless and I would do it again a thousand times. After that I pretty much slept all night. In the morning around 6 or 7 Iím not exactly sure, they checked again and I was 10 cm! I was so surprised, since I hadnít felt a thing haha. Even though I was fully dilated Liam wasnít descending yet so they said to just relax for a while until I started feeling pressure. They came back at 9 and I still wasnít feeling anything so they turned the rate of the epidural down. By noon I could feel the contractions, it wasnít intense but they said I might as well start pushing. I was so numb I didnít really know what I was doing but they said I was pushing well so I just went with it but it was hard to not feel anything. After pushing for an hour I asked them to turn it off but they said I was doing it right and it was better to leave it in at this point incase I needed a C-section. Finally his head was right there and we could see it even between pushes, but no matter how hard and long I pushed he was not moving. After pushing for over 3 hours I was pretty much done, I had oxygen on and I was resting every other contraction. Obviously he was stuck, but even after a million hands going up me lol they couldnít determine his position so they brought in the portable ultrasound to see what was going on and saw his head was lined up right but tilted at an angle. So we got going again and they tried turning him by hand while I pushed but still nothing.

At that point the OB in charge of the floor came in and said she didnít want to let it go any longer I was out of energy and Liam was starting to get worn out too so she said I could try the vacuum extractor or I could have a C-section. She explained how the vacuum would work, that after a certain amount of pressure it would pop off and if it popped off 3 times then they would stop and go into a C-section, and she explained the potential risks to Liam. I said I wanted to try. MIL was really worried and crying and DH was just kind of in shock but my mom was pretty calm being a nurse herself. I was really calm just ready to be done. So the OB took over and inserted the vacuum which by the way hurt like a **** I pushed once hard while she pulled and turned and his head popped out finally! She got the vacuum off and the midwife took back over and with one small push and one more big one he was on my stomach. He had meconium in his fluid so they started suctioning him right away but they left him on my stomach for as long as they could while they worked but it was only a minute or two before they had to take him over to the warmer to make sure he was going to be okay. And I didnít get to have delayed cord clamping, but DH did get to cut it. And Liam was fine and he had no damage from the vacuum other than a small blood blister. Mommy on the other hand wasnít so lucky. The vacuum ravaged me and I ended up with a 2nd degree tear that zig zagged around the walls of my vagina like a spiral staircase. It took them over an hour to stitch me, but I never asked how many there were.

Overall even though I had a crazy labor experience that was over 30 hours long and went nothing like I thought it would, Iím not disappointed in any way. Everyone did an excellent job, I was very calm and I did my best and worked my hardest too, and Liam was here safe and sound which is really all I ever wanted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search