Katelyn's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2005, 04:58 AM
prizm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I'll start from a week prior to her birth. I was having a lot of mucous which my doctor said it was probably my mucous plug. My uterus has been measuring 6 weeks ahead so at the time of her birth my uterus thought it was a week over due. On Thursday (the 10th) morning I woke up to wet underwear. I went to the bathroom to see if my water had broke. It didn't and it was just a lot of mucous. When I had woke up that morning something just didn't feel right either and had a motherly instinct that I'd be having the baby. I had tons of menstural like cramps and tons of pelvic pressure (more than what I had before). I then had a lot of bowel movements and that is when I started to get blood when I wiped. After a few more times of going to the bathroom I started to get blood streaked mocous. I called my doctor's office and the doctor was in surgery so the receptionist told me that the bloody show could happen up to 6 weeks before giving birth. She said I could go to L&D to get checked out just to ease my mind. Now from what I have read the bloody show usually means that labor will start within 24 hours but it could be up to 2-3 days. So I (and my mom insisted) decided to get ready to go to L&D to get checked out even though at that point I was not having contractions. Instead of trusting my instincts and heading down to the children's hospital, I went to my regular hospital instead. On the way there I started to having contractions but were really mild like braxton hicks contractions. I arrived at the hospital a little after 1:00 pm. They hooked me up to the monitor and saw that I was having contractions so they gave me a bag of fluids through an IV to see if the contractions would stop because by doctor's orders they were not supposed to stop labor with medication. If the contractions slowed down or stopped they were going to transport me by ambulance down to the children's hospital. Of course, they didn't stop and started to get rather regular at 2-4 minutes apart. My doctor also checked my cervix when I got there and it was only 1-1/2 cm dialated so she didn't seemed too concerned at the time. Around 3:00 pm the contractions started to get more intense. By 4:00 pm my doctor decided that it was time to do a c-section. I'm not sure what took so long but it wasn't till 6:00 pm that I finally got into surgery. In the meantime I was contracting really bad and probably at like 1-2 minutes apart. They never checked my cervix after I started to have the more intense contractions so I was afraid that I was going to have the baby before they got me into surgery since they were taking so long. I'm also surprised they waited that long in taking a risk of my water breaking. I'm really surprised that my water never did break on it's own. Anyway, during the c-section I felt a lot of what was going on so I was really scared because I don't remember that from my first c-section. I could even feel the pokes as they started to cut me. It didn't hurt but I was scared from feeling so much. There was a lot of tugging and pulling on my stomach too which I don't remember. Katelyn was finally born at 6:16 pm and she didn't cry so I was wondering what was going on. They gave her some oxygen by putting a tube down her throat. She did really well for being a preemie. They let my husband hold her. I couldn't believe how tiny she was. They took her to the neonatal unit while I was getting stitched up. I was in the recovery room and was doing pretty good until I started to shake uncontrollabley and my heart rate shot up to around 150 and felt like I was going to pass out. The nurses kept saying it was normal which I knew some of it was but I just told them I needed some warm blankets. I stopped shaking once I got warm. After I was done recovering and Katelyn was stable in the NICU I was able to visit her. An ambulance team from the children's hospital was on their way so I got to be with her for a little while. Before they took her away they let me hold her for the first time. I couldn't believe how little she weighed and felt like I was holding a baby doll. I kissed her on the forhead and they took her away. I was then transfered to pediatrics because they ran out of rooms in the maternity section. Providing that everything went well I was able to get discharged Saturday morning which I did. I think because I wanted to get down to the children's hospital I made myself get better quicker. I was up and walking around and had my IV and catheter taken out within 12 hours. I was eating solid foods too. Everything seems to be going good with my recovery except that I over did it yesterday so I need to take it easy today. I've been pumping my milk and freezing it so when Katelyn can eat on her own she'll be able to use my milk. Katelyn was taken off the ventilator and breathing on her own on Friday. She was also baptised on Friday. She had her surgery on Saturday morning. She had the more complicated surgery where they had to bypass the blockage instead of simply removing it. She's doing really well on her recovery. She is still on the ventilator right now but she should be taken off probaby either today (Sunday) or tomorrow. The doctors and nurses keep saying she is fiesty and has an attitude already because she doesn't want to have any of the tubes and wires on her. She tried pulling the ventilator tubing out. As of right now it looks like she has a milder Downs Syndrome condition. Although, I think it's hard to tell right now since she is so small and still developing. She's still cute though!!! I'll have to post some pictures soon but I'm on a public computer so I have to figure out how to first. I'm not sure what they are doing about her heart just yet. I thought they where going to do an echocardiogram but haven't done one yet. I'll find out more information and keep everyone updated. Thank you again for all your support and prayers.

Visit the Burkhart Blog
</div>
November 13th, 2005, 06:04 AM
*threesweetpeas*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
...It sounds like they have good new for you so far...what a little sweetie-can't wait to see pics...take care of yourself & keep us posted.

~Homeschooling ,Breastfeeding, Sleep Sharing Mama!!~

Jasmine
November 13th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to pocket_princess
yes, keep us updated. congratulations.

...expecting Trent on December 8, 2005...

November 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What an amazing story! I am so glad you trusted most of your instincts,and that you were able to heal so quickly, but don't overdo!

Maybe they gave you lighter drugs for the surgery b/c of her condition, and that is why you felt more?

Anyway, that is great that she is a fighter, and maybe has the milder down's...the milder down kids do soooooo great and lead such wonderful lives!!! But even if it is not as mild, in this day and age...those kids are doing terrific too, and will have a wonderful life esp b/c she obviously has such wonderful parents and family!!!!!

Can't wait for the pics!!!!!!!!! I bet she is so cute!!!!

All our Love Prizim and Katelyn!

Natalie Raquel 1/1/06

November 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM
hayley76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to hayley76
What a great story! It sounds like she is being well taken care of, and hopefully will be coming home soon! Congratulations, keep us posted on her progress, yours too!
Much Love to both of you!!!

November 13th, 2005, 09:54 AM
caligirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm so glad surgery went well. I can't wait for you to have your daughter in your arms again. Give her a kiss from us.
November 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
congrats and im glad everything went ok.

also hope that baby k. could have her breathing tube removed asap!

cant wait to see pics

November 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
KaylaMeow's Avatar Canned Spontaneity
Send a message via MSN to KaylaMeow Send a message via Yahoo to KaylaMeow
How wonderful that she's doing so well! I'll bet she's an absolute doll! Oh, I can't wait to see the pictures! Congratulations!!!
November 13th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Veteran
Congratulation again!

Best wishes to mommy and baby!!!

Thanks for sharing your story with us all!!! Looking forward to seeing the photos!!!

Gail
November 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Simply amazing Joan! I cannot wait for the pictures. Please keep us updated. We love you!

November 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM
MadameMeow
So glad she's here and healthy!!!!!! And you're okay too!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM
As of right now Katelyn is still on the ventilator. She might be on it for a little longer than expected because she is on so much pain reliever she's so relaxed that she is letting the ventilator breathe for her. The doctors are also saying that it might be almost 2 weeks before she'll be able to eat instead of 1 week like they originally told us. Right now she is getting a PICC line put in which is basically a better IV for feeding. Right now we can't hold her because she has an IV going into her belly button. Once that is taken out which is expected to stay in for around a week I believe, we'll be able to start holding her. She opened her eyes and looked at me for the first time today. I got to take her temperature today too. I haven't got to change her diaper yet but my husband has. My husband also gave her the first hair wash. As of right now we haven't heard how long is expected to stay in the hospital. We only know that the average is 4-6 weeks so hopefully she'll be home in time for Christmas. I'm sorry about the wait on the pictures. My husband didn't grab the right cord for my digital camera so I'm going to have to see if I can't get some of the hospital pictures scanned in.

Visit the Burkhart Blog
</div>
November 13th, 2005, 06:33 PM
MorgaineNTannersMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She's a fighter mama

What a wonderful birth story. I'm so glad that she is doing well and I will continue to keep her in my thoughts. Hopefully they'll do the echo soon and you'll know what the status of her heart!
November 13th, 2005, 10:04 PM
lilly200090's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lilly200090
i m glad all is well and ull have her home by x mas ........................ congatulations to u
take care and waiting fro the pics
November 14th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad her surgery went well. I hope she continues to improve and that you can have her home with you soon! Take it easy though, we want you fully recovered!

November 15th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Here are some pics of Katelyn finally!!! Warning, she has a lot of wires and tubes on her in some of the pictures.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...99/Katelyn.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/pri.../Katelyn001.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/pri.../Katelyn002.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/pri.../Katelyn003.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/pri.../Katelyn004.jpg

If you want day by day updates on her you can visit her website and for any new pictures I'll be posting them there.
http://sites.bundleofjoys.com/katelynmb/index.php

Visit the Burkhart Blog
</div>
November 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Puanani's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Puanani
She's darling!!
November 15th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations again. I am so happy to hear that she came through so well. She is such a beautiful baby girl! It sounds like she is really a strong one, I hope she gets to come home with you really soon!
November 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Eva
Congrats, shes so small and beautiful!
November 16th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! She actually looks bigger than you mentioned in your story. She has meat under her skin!! Wow! She is a beauty!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search