Brianna's Big Day

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Weeeell...

Tuesday the 15th. I got up early to get a few things done around the house and to meet my friends Becky and her husband Aaren for lunch. They are buying a car from us so I went to the store and got a few things I needed for it just to touch it up. It's an older car but I wanted it to be nice for them. Got home and checked the oil and other fluids in it then tried to start it. Battery was to to old or had been stitting in the cold unused for to long or all of the above. I don't dare jump start it because I'm not comfortable with Jumper cables so I go get our battery charger. Problem is that the car is parked on the other side of the street from our driveway and an outlet to plug in the charger... I like a Dummy look at this little car and think.. bah... I can get it over there. So I push the car across the street and suprise suprise... it's heavy. Man walking by helps me to get it up the driveway enough and I plug in the charger. It starts, I'm breathing alittle heavy but feel fine.
I pack-up and head to lunch. Sweet and sour chicken, veggies, soup, crab cheese wantons, yummy.
Afterwards we head here and they pick-up the car. I follow 'cause I'm gonna sit and hang out at thier place for a while. I'm teaching/helpping Becky learn to crochet. I guess what I took as Brianna pushing alittle hard must have been contractions because after about three hours I got up to go to the bathroom and gushed.
Becky knew something was up but she let me just head home without much explination. I'm not ready for this, my bags not packed, Brianna's bags not packed, laundrey needs done, dishes are dirty in the sink.. AHHHHH!
It's clear by the time I get home exactly what's going on. Every big step or bend to pick something up gushes water. After I get my bag packed and gather some things for Baby David calls and I tell him I'll be calling the doc. "Think my water broke."
I call... they say come on in to the hospital. I get there and my cell phone rings, It's my parents. They live five hours away and had just left from a weekend visit the day before. "Guess where I am? Checking myself into the hospital, I think my water broke." Dad laughs at me and tells me they'll finish lunch and start back up here.
The nurse gets me settled in my room and checks my leaking underside. Yup the little strip of paper turned the right color... it's baby time. I call around to Becky and Dave and my folks letting them all know that it's go time. Becky shows up shortly, she's gonna be my support through the whole thing. Time moves amazingly fast because of all the info and nervous energy. They set me up with an IV line but don't hook it up yet. Becky and I start to walk. We stay out of the other wings where there are rooms but climb the stairs up and over... finding more stairs we make it out to the helo pad entrance on the roof. Wandering back down and around we open into the back of the Imageing Department where we're both sure we don't belong. Back and forth a few more times and then back to my room. My nurse checks me and I'm 3 cm dialated, 75% efaced. (spellings not going to be right there.) Whoo! This doesn't hurt at all yet, not even menstral cramps type pain.
Dad and Mom show-up shortly then followed closely by David. They take turns going on a few walks with me and Dr. Carr comes in to check me. My cervex is thinner but I haven't dialated any more. That's alittle bit of a bummer but I HAVE been sitting on my butt in bed for a few hours so I can't realy be suprised. Folks take turns walking with me for a while longer, maybe an hour. Because my water has broken they realy don't want the labor to take longer then 24 hours so when I'm ready they are going to start petosin (spelling) to more up the labor. Once that's started I'm not allowed out of my room or off the monitors for more than bathroom trips. I walk for a while longer to try and put off being tied to the bed for as long as possable. Still I'm feeling not alot of pain and the pressure is very much like the baby pushing so it's no big deal.
When they start the drugs it takes about a half hour before I feel things realy kicking in. More pressure and some pain like cramps. Not even realy pain, just discomfort. It's dark by this time and we are all just talking, hanging out, fielding a few calls from folks. I grumble about my butt being numb from sitting so the nurse readjusts the monitors so I can lay on my side. Right away the contrations change from hohum to realy doing something. It's intense pressure and just pushes past discomfort into real pain very fast. They call in the merical drug man and he gets me set up with an epidural. I don't have any idea what I thought an epidural was suppost to feel like but it is something I wouldn't choose to do again for any other reason. The pain of getting put in is vermuch like getting an IV in the back of the hand. Sharp and painful but tolorable. If I haden't had contractions going on I don't think I would have been grumpy about it at all. With the contrations makeing me so tense I had little tolorance for the pokes, realy whimpy about his needle hurting.
He told me to expect iching... Oh Boy! Iching. numb so I couldn't feel myself breathing, shakes... I was NOT happy with the sensation. The pain was gone compleatly, I might as well not have been haveing contrations at all for all I felt of them. The lost of "control" and the weird tickly ich all over my body from the epidural drugs however made me very touchy for a while. Just like the man said... the iching went away some, though not all, and I got back the feeling of my breathing...ect. I calmed down.
I have no idea what time all this was happening even though I was constantly watching the clock.
Then we got board... folks came and went for dinner, we watched TV, I tried to sleep. My monitors for contrations were a constant source of entertainment to everyone. "oooh! Your haveing one! Can you feel it?" Yes at that point I could feel that my belly was tightening but there was nothing more to it... my hand had to be on my belly for me to knotice.
The night came and went, we all slept in different degrees. Mom and Dad went to Dave and I's to sack out. Dave settled on the sofa and Becky in the chair. About the time Mom and Dad came back Dave left to go get a shower, Becky also snuck out to get refreshed. I was checked and I had got to 6 cm and 90% thinned out. I was bummed... somehow I thought all this would go faster. The nurses assured me that first babies always take time and not to worry about it. They kicked-up my petosin levels gradualy. I was only getting checked for dialation if absolutly nessary because with the water broke they didn't want to risk infection starting in my uterus and the baby because to many hands were pokeing up there without the protection of the membrains and fluids.
Around noon my butt was totaly dead and my legs were logs. I got a nurse to help me lay over on my side again to try and save my butt from it's death by layabout. Magic, almost right away my contrations got with it. Very intence pressure to the point I just had to hold onto something and breath while they rode themselves out. After about 30 mins of this we called the nurse because they got painful and I was only getting that pain to ease by pushing. It was go time for reals.
Doctor was called and I was put back on my butt. The drug levels were kicked-up alittle more to stimulate things. I was checked by DR Carr when she got there and it was realy time to push, everything was open and baby's head was there to be touched. After that time seemed to fly by for me. I had my mom on one side and becky on the other helping me hold my legs. Dave and my father stepped back to where they didn't see any of the front row action. I was happy they both stayed in the room. They haden't planned on it.
There is pain involoved no matter what they do with the epidural and I knew that so I knew that the olny way to make that pain stop was to get the baby out. You don't have a choise about that happening, just how well you get it done. They tell you to push like your takeing a poop and I did. It took two pushes for me to relise that if you push hard enough, chin in, breath held and feeling like your moveing a mountain the pain and out of control feelings that the conrations cause stop. If you push hard enough you can get to a place where it doesn't hurt. Of course you can't stay there because you have to stop to breath and you have to rest. Go at it and go at it hard when you feel the urge and pain of a REALY big consipated poop and you'll get back to the that spot where it dosen't hurt anymore. On top of that you'll have the staff telling you that your doing it just right. It was fun in it's own way to see how much excitment came into their voices when I pushed like that.
Getting her head out was a great feeling and with one more good ( and just alittle to fast) push she was all there.
Brianna came out at 2:19. 6 pounds and 15 ounces 18 and a half inches long.

She had the cord looped up under her neck but it never hurt or bothered her. She cried alittle but not a huge howl. They took her off to the side to check her over realy well. Getting preggers on my cancer drugs they wanted to be sure everything was just right.
The placenta came out with one good push when I was told to do so and ALL the feelings and pressure of contrations stopped just as soon as it was gone.
Dave held Brianna right off but I was very shakey and didn't trust myself to hold her. I touched her nose and seeing she was alright they took her off to the nursery to watch her breathing. She took alittle while to get it right and regular.
My shakes lasted for a long time. Comeing down from the drugs and the labor was like the time I fell pretty darn far out of a tree and my body was so jazzed up I couldn't stand without help. About an hour later she came back and held her. Breatfeeding started very soon after. She never left the room after that but for a short test or two. By 8 pm on Thursday we left the hospital and got home.

My milk came in on the third morning. She sleeps very long and sound now. She's alittle yellow but I'm told it's alright, little baby's often are. My Dr's appt is on Tuesday, if she's still showing it I'm sure she'll get to take a light bath for a while. I can't sleep without being able to just open my eyes to see her yet. *grins*

She's very very beautiful and very very hungery. Perfect.
November 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM
KaylaMeow's Avatar Canned Spontaneity
Send a message via MSN to KaylaMeow Send a message via Yahoo to KaylaMeow
Congratulations! How exciting for you! I can't wait to see pictures!
November 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
YAY!! Congrats!!

Great story!! But you left out her weight!

Anyway..can't wait to see pics!!!!!!

Natalie Raquel 1/1/06

November 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM
caligirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay! Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing your story...I'm still in shock that you pushed your car!!!! Yikes!
November 20th, 2005, 04:51 PM
KaylaMeow's Avatar Canned Spontaneity
Send a message via MSN to KaylaMeow Send a message via Yahoo to KaylaMeow
Quote:
Originally posted by linzy2@Nov 20 2005, 04:46 PM
YAY!!* Congrats!!

Great story!!* But you left out her weight!

Anyway..can't wait to see pics!!!!!!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Brianna was 6 lbs 15 oz... right before the length...
November 20th, 2005, 05:25 PM
ashabele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ashabele
Aww, congratulations!

</div>
November 20th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a wonderful story of her birth! I felt like I was going through it!!! Crazy!

Congratulations on your daughter - can't wait to *meet* her ~
November 20th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Miss_La's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Miss_La Send a message via MSN to Miss_La Send a message via Yahoo to Miss_La
Congratulations! I'm anxious to see the pictures!

</div>
November 20th, 2005, 09:53 PM
lilly200090's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lilly200090
ohh wat a wonderstory felt like i m watching it in front of my eyes
and the pushing tech i hope it helps us all
post her pics when u have time
take care congrats
November 21st, 2005, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! I'm glad you're both doing well!!!

November 21st, 2005, 09:01 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Eva
Congrats, cant wait to see her!
November 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
Puanani's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Puanani
CONGRATULATIONS!! Send me some pics of you and baby so I can put it up on the Announcement Page. I've got you guys up there already, just missing pics!
November 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
congrats! and i cant wait for a pic!

November 21st, 2005, 08:01 PM
duckye's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! I'm glad you're both doing well.
November 21st, 2005, 09:01 PM
Natasha1983's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Natasha1983
Glad you guys are both doing so well! Gosh you had one heck of a day huh lol! Can't wait for pictures!

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
November 25th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!! Glad all is well!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search