Anna Cristina's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2006, 04:30 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had been contracting pretty much constantly for about two weeks leading up to the birth. About two days before, they started getting fairly uncomfortable, but never got regular. My doctor and I decided that due to our long distance move coming up in a few weeks and my body showing signs I was ready, that I would be induced on May 1 if I made it that far. I was hoping I would go into labor on my own, but Sunday night, it became clear that I would make it to the induction. I was pretty nervous about it all the night before and I barely slept.

We showed up to the hospital at 6am and received my pitocin by 7am. I was at 3cm and 75% effaced when I arrived. Still, the doctor thought it would be maybe 4pm or 5pm since I was a first time mom. She had appointments in another clinic in the early afternoon, but was sure she'd make it back. My pitocin level was set pretty low to control the timing a bit.

The contractions gradually started building, coming ten minutes apart at first and then getting up to every four minutes, building in intensity. It got fairly painful, but I was able to breathe and focus through them pretty well and was still nice and social in between. I had my parents, my brother, and DH in the room and my in-laws were on their way from breakfast.

At about 10am, though, out of the blue, I felt this crazy, sudden, gigantic shudder burst through my body. "WHAT WAS THAT???" It was way too huge to be a kick. I thought maybe it was my water breaking, but I wasn't feeling anything coming out at first. I called in a nurse and when she went to do a check, I poured buckets and buckets all over the place! We weren't expecting my water to break like that on its own! It was so huge when it happened.

Then, the very next contraction...WOW!!! It was night and day!! The contractions that were manageable were suddenly just impossible. I couldn't even stay still, let alone focus through them. I thought I was literally going to lose my mind. I was squirming all over the bed and couldn't even keep my eyes fixed on anything. I can't even describe the pain. If you had asked me where it hurt, I couldn't have answered you. It was just all encompassing, and I thought I would be climbing up the walls. I asked for the epidural as soon as I could think clearly enough to say anything. Of course, this is what my in-laws walked into!!

By the time the anesthesiologist showed up and the epi took effect, I had to bear through about an hour of those contractions. I was completely miserable, but when the epidural kicked in, I was back in control and social once again. I expressed interest in being about to feel a tiny bit and not be completely numbed, and they did a great job of keeping me at the exact perfect level. I could tell when I was having contractions, but they didn't hurt at all. It was like BH.

The nurse came in and checked me a little after noon, and she was shocked. I was a full 10cm and fully effaced! I was ready to start pushing just five hours after receiving my first small doses of pitocin! The doctor was still in clinic and could not be there until after 3pm. I felt pretty strongly that she be the one to deliver the baby, so they pretty much shut down the pitocin.

FINALLY, the doctor arrived and I was pushing minutes later. With the first couple of pushes, I definitely knew I had a BM and was pretty embarrassed. The doctor and the nurses shrugged it off and just said they were impressed with what a good pusher I was for it being my first and having an epi. I could definitely feel what was going on down there, but it didn't hurt. I pushed and pushed. After a little less than half an hour of pushing, the doctor told me to open my eyes. I looked down to see Anna's head out as she began turning her face toward me. I totally lost it. All of a sudden I was looking at my daughter's face. I didn't care that she was purple, bloody, with a molded head, what have you. It was the most beautiful, incredible thing I had ever seen. I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. Then, in another whoosh, she came right out and right onto my chest. Incredible! She looked so tiny.

They carried her away to get checked out. I was shocked to hear her weight: 5 lbs 9 oz!! They did all the tests on her and she passed with flying colors. She was definitely a full term baby and perfectly developed. She's just petite!

Despite her tiny size, my doctor had to break the news to me: I received some second degree tears! Maybe I was too good of a pusher! She was stitching me up for quite a while. The recovery from that has been a pain, to say the least.

Other than that, it was really a terrific labor in retrospect. It was quick and complication free. Plus, I got a terrific baby out of the deal!!

Here is a picture of me less than a minute after Anna was born. I certainly don't look good at all, but I love it because it reminds me of how I felt. I'm still sobbing in it from the sheer joy of the experience! I hope all of you ladies who are still waiting for the big moment have a great one!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 4th, 2006, 05:55 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Congratulations Rosalie on your new arrival. She's a beauty! I know how you feel about the pain. It felt as though my whole body was on fire and gasoline was constantly being poured on me! But, you made it and I know you're so in love with her!

Carla

May 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
oh that brought tears to my eyes. I can't wait for that day to come again! Congrats on baby Anna. She's is absolutly a beauty!!
May 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My eyes are watery too! Congratulations! Great job and glad to hear that things progressed quickly. I am gettting induced late Sunday night - and hope to have a similar experience. Enjoy your daughter....and best of luck with your upcoming move.

Thanks Rochelle for a FABULOUS siggy!!
May 5th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Beautiful story!!

I'm so happy for you =) Anna is gorgeous.
May 5th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Super Mommy
Awesome story. Sounded just like my first birth. When they broke my water I thought I was going to kill someone with those contractions. However, after Braxton was born, that just faded away. She is beautiful. Congrats!
Meredith Joyce Due: May 26, 2006

May 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM
toni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm crying just reading your story. Morgan is now two weeks old and I felt like I was reliving it again. Congrats!!

May 5th, 2006, 08:42 AM
::april.showers::'s Avatar April- Mama of 4
Wow! That was your bodies way of saying " I am ready to have this baby!!" Congratulations, what a nice picture, I think you look great considering!! So happy for you!

Thank you GraysMama for another amazing siggy!
May 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Aw, congrats!!!

(and wow - you stayed 10cm for 3 hours and didn't want to kill anyone??? kudos!)

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

March 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Mandi_Lin

Rosalie she is perfect....and look how much she has grown.....I love this picture of you...and to think it won't be long before you are having another one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search