Peyton Elijah

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my 38-week appt., I had my first cervical check which was 3cm and 80% and my cervix had moved to the front. Doc said she doubt I would make it to my 39-week appt. I did. At my 39-week appt., I was still 3cm but I was 90%. Doc said he doubt I would make it to my 40-week appt. I didn't.

I didn't really have any signs of anything going on. In all this time, I had no contractions and no bloody show. The only thing was that I started losing my plug after my first cervical check. I walked and walked and walked some more, ate tons of fresh pineapple, drank red raspberry leaf tea, had lots of sex, but I had no signs of anything happening. The weekend of my due date, I did notice an increase in bm's. But that was it.

Then Monday night, May 15th about 11pm, I had a couple of unfamiliar pains. They weren't that bad but it was enough to make me wonder if it meant anything. I thought, "oh well, if it is labor, it'll wake me up." So I went to bed. At 1:30am Tuesday morning, they woke me up. At first, I still wasn't positive that these were contractions but they were the first consistent, regular pattern of pains that I'd ever had. I waited it out like 20 minutes by myself and they were still very regular, so I woke up Andy, my dh.

The contractions were painful, but I was still able to function and carry a conversation and do things in between. The only reason they worried me at all was that they were soo close together. When they first woke me up, they varied from like 2-7 minutes apart. I wanted to wait an hour before calling my doc. to see if they would go away. The pain did get a little worse, but again I was still able to function. By this point, the were usually less than a minute apart. So I called and they told me to come in. It took me another hour to get ready. Andy took a shower. We packed some clothes. I made out a few bills.

At 4am, I was in L&D being checked. The nurse (a total kook btw) said I was still 3cm and 80% which is sort-of a regression. Granted, everyone measures differently. She asked me how far I lived from the hospital (not a good sign). She hooked me up to the monitor and said she was going to see what my doctor wanted to do with this information.

The contractions got worse and worse. The pain was increasing, as was the length of the contractions. They took forever until they came back to see me. By that time, I was thinking there is no way in hell I'm leaving this hospital until they check me again. I was sure this was labor, the real thing.

FINALLY at 6:15am (2hrs. and 15 minutes since my last check where I was 3cm), my doctor came in and checked me. I was 8 cm and 100%. The first words out of my mouth were, "Can I get an epidural?" lol The staff was amazed that I was handling labor so well. I was still smiling and joking between contractions. The stupid nurse asked me, "Why didn't you say anything?" I was like, "What do you want me to say? You see my contractions on the monitor. You know I'm in pain. I'm here at Labor & Delivery, so obviously I believe I'm in labor. What else is there?" dumba$$

Somewhere after that, I did get an epidural. I thought I could handle the contractions by themselves, but I couldn't imagine having to push during a contraction. That's why I asked for it. It eventually worked pretty well. I couldn't feel the contractions at all, but I felt EVERYTHING vaginally so I still knew when I was having one.

I guess about 7am, I was checked and I was 9cm. The nurse (a new, MUCH better nurse--thank goodness for shift changes!!) said that I would be 10cm if it weren't for my bag of water that hadn't broken yet.

Around 7:30, the doctor broke my water. There was meconium in it. So he said that when the baby's head comes out, he's going to have to suction him. They were going to try to keep him from crying until he was checked and suctioned some more by the neonatologist on standby in the room. That was scarey.

At 8am, I was completely dilated and effaced. They said I would start pushing at 8:30. Like I said, I felt everything vaginally so pushing was the worst part. I flipped my husband off at one point because he said, "next time, we need two good pushes." At the time, it sounded to me like he was saying the pushes I just did were not-so-good, but I know looking back he didn't mean it that way. He was being nothing but supportive the whole time. I pushed from 8:30 until 11 when the doctor got there. (The one doctor in my OBGYN's practice that I didn't want to deliver me btw!!!) At this point, the baby's head was crowning during contractions, but then going back up in between. He happened to come in in-between contractions and said that the woman one room over looked like she was going a little faster than me. He was going to deliver her, then he'd be back. At 11am, I had to stop pushing and wait for him.

In a way, I was ticked off, but in another way, I was thankful for the break. I was physically exhuasted. I didn't know how many more pushes I had left in me. During this time, the baby's head was definitely crowning. The nurse asked me if I was pushing and I wasn't. It felt like he was actually coming out with every contraction. I kept telling my husband to look because the baby was going to fall out.

I was so relieved when the doctor finally walked back in around 11:10. I pushed through two contractions. He gave me an episiotomy (2nd-degree). With the next contraction, he used a vacuum. And that's all it took. Peyton was born at 11:20.

Andy did soo freaking amazing through the whole thing, but as soon as the baby was born, he turned white as a ghost and just about passed out. They managed to get him to the sofa to lay down and made him smell alcohol wipes to come to. How funny is that!

At the same time that the neonatologist is working on the baby, Andy is almost passing out, I'm delivering the placenta and being stitched up, and I can't make up my mind where to look. I'm trying to see the baby (there were like 6 staff members in the way) and make sure my husband isn't having a heart attack. But in the end it all worked out. Everyone was perfect. Peyton was stuffy for like a day and a half because the suctioning tube had made his nasal cavity swollen, but that was it. All of the fluid that they suctioned out was clear.

He's perfect. He's beautiful. And he's mine. How did I get so lucky?

Peyton Elijah was 3 days late, born on the day I predicted BTW if you want to dig up that old birth predictions thread. He weighed 7 lbs. 2 oz. and was 20 in. long. (He weighed less than the ultrasound said he weighed 2 weeks before.)

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!
May 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Ukmum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Ukmum
Aww cute, congratulations. Sorry to hear your hubby fainted

m/c 86, May 04, July 04, m/c Sep 04

http://www.facebook.com/Ukmum
May 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
u/s predictiona are crap!!
congrats on your lovely little boy!! glad you were able to get the epidural before you had to push. i never have, but it's really the best thing, i think, because you can FINALLY do something about the pain.
glad he's here! i predicted the exact day for my firstborn, as well!! pretty cool!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

May 20th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Dayna1
He has the cutest little face...look at his nose He is just gorgeous. I'm sorry that you were so worried about him after birth, but so happy that everyhting turned out wonderful. Congratulations
September 27th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I just read your story. I have not seen any newborn pics of peyton until now. He was so cute and still is. Sorry for reading so late. And congrats on your healthy baby boy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search