Daniel Lewis

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Well...I'll try to keep it short...!

I had been scheduled for induction on Tuesday 22nd August, and on the morning of Sunday 20th, I woke up and my waters were breaking...bit by tiny bit. I wasn't even sure that's what it was at first but I was constantly wet and going through pads like nobody's business so I called the hospital, Chris and I picked up my mum and we went in at about lunch time and I was examined and they confirmed it. There were no contractions and I was only dilated to 1cm, they would have let me come back home but my temperature was up a little bit and for fear of infection, they admitted me to monitor me overnight.

No infection ever came, but better safe than sorry I guess, although at the time I was really upset and just wanted to go home. Sunday night, though, I started having contractions. They were nothing like all the practice ones I'd had. They were very intense but I could bear them by breathing through them. They were pretty random but strong enough to wake me and I woke about 10 times throughout the night, by 7am they were about 8-9 minutes apart and getting stronger. They put me on a monitor for a bit and some of them were verrrrrrrrry strong, they wondered at how I was coping with the pain, but really it didn't feel so bad. A doctor came to see me on the ward and said I could wait and see if I continued to progress naturally, or they could induce me then and there, and I of course chose to wait and see thinking "this was it"...but the contractions dwindled and died off by lunch time, and by then I was in a right state. When Chris arrived he went to speak to the nurses and told them I'd changed my mind, I wanted to be induced, and not wait for tomorrow. We then had to wait for the next spare room on delivery suite.

At about 8.30pm, they took me down and because my waters had broke, they hooked me up to antibiotics on IV as well as the drip to induce me. Within an hour the contractions were coming and they were horrible. They felt the same as the natural ones I'd had in the morning but the strength of them was awful. A couple hours into them the head midwife on duty gave me an internal exam and I just remember being in excruciating pain, not only was she rough but I was having contractions at the same time and they hurt more when I was lying on my back. They tried to give me gas and air and I have a vague memory of really trying to relax and breathe it in, but feeling like I was gonna black out on it and like I couldn't breathe, and I started shouting obscenities and that I couldn't do it and I wanted a caesarian, and I pulled it out of my mouth. Thus ensued an argument that lasted about an hour, the head midwife wanted me to take diamorphine to relax me because I was only dilated to 1cm, but I really really hadn't wanted pethidine or diamorphine because I knew they could make me feel sick, and I also knew that once it'd gone in there was no going back, I'd have to put up with whatever happened. I was so glad I'd done a birth plan and gone through it with Chris to the nth degree because he just kept arguing for me even when I couldn't. The midwife who was attending me brought in a CD player and we put some of my music and a meditation CD she had on, and I managed to relax and breathe through the contractions with the help of the music until about 2am. Some of the time I sat in a chair. The pain was getting progressively worse, in the end I was having to grip the side of the bed and rock, with Chris massaging my back at the same time.

I was examined about 2.30am and had still only dilated to 2cm. By then I'd had enough. I was exhausted apart from anything else and we started to demand a c-section. I had written on my birth plan that if things didn't progress well I wanted an early decision for one, and since they were saying I still couldn't have an epidural and there was no other pain relief to try, we were arguing that I was going to get too tired to give birth naturally anyway. We saw the doctor on duty and she had pretty much agreed to a section and had sent for the anaesthetist. But the head midwife got herself involved and came in and asked if they gave me an epidural now, would I wait and see if that would help me relax and progress and then if it didn't, go to a c-section then. I wish I hadn't in retrospect but I agreed, just glad to hear I could have an epidural. The anaesthetist came down about 3.30am and did it. It didn't hurt one bit, and worked really quickly. At least from that point on I wasn't in any pain.

Early on the morning of the 22nd I was examined again and had dilated to 4cm. They figured the pain relief had helped me relax and was helping me progress. But bear in mind I had now gone 24 hours without sleeping or really eating apart from bits of chocolate and energy drinks. I was starting to wish I'd gone for the c-section. Mum came down to give Chris a break for a while and I don't even remember what we did all day, just talked I guess. I hadn't made any more progress at about 3pm that afternoon when Chris came back and the midwives were switching shifts for a second time, and there was talk of a section again. But the doctor came to examine me at 4pm and I'd gone to 7cm, and again at about 5.30pm and I'd gone to 9cm. I went to 10cm very quickly after that and they had me trying some pushes, but the baby wasn't moving down. I was absolutely shattered and, while he was showing no signs of distress, I felt sure it wasn't comfortable for Daniel and wished I'd gone with my instincts and had a c-section at 3.30am.

The doctor decided to get my epidural topped up as if ready for a c-section and take me to theatre. She wanted to try a last-ditch attempt at natural delivery after going so long using ventouse, and if that didn't work, she would perform a c-section. So we went down to theatre about 6.30pm. I couldn't feel anything but was very scared, very tired and very upset having had pretty much everything I didn't want happen to me during the course of the labour. There were tons of midwives, nurses and Chris and of course the doctor all helping me, and after just 4 contractions, an episiotomy and using the ventouse, Daniel Lewis was finally born at 7.05pm weighing 7lb 13oz. I remember them telling me to open my eyes and it was incredible to see him emerge into the world, and what a feeling of relief. They put him on my tummy for just a second or two while they cut the cord and then whisked him away.

I knew something was wrong because he wasn't crying. Chris kept asking if he was ok and they couldn't answer, just kept saying to him let them do their job. They took him off to the neonatal unit and just told us he was having difficulty breathing, and then sent Chris to get changed and wheeled me off to recovery. I remember lying there being half out of it with all the drugs they'd pumped through me, and half worried out of my mind about the baby and feeling very sick. They took me back to the ward and I was like that for a couple of hours, every time I came round a bit feeling a little bit physically better but catching sight of Chris or my mum and they were both sat there crying. They went home at the end of visiting hours and about a half hour later the doctor came to tell me that Daniel was stable and breathing and that he was on a ventilator. It was only the next morning they knew he had had a pneumothorax, his lung had collapsed, and they had to insert a chest drain to get it re-inflated. I was in a bad way the next day after such a dense epidural and could barely walk for the stitches, but I got myself up and showered and insisted on being taken down in a wheelchair to see him. He was so beautiful even though he was full of tubes and very pale. You could see he was fighting, and he's been fighting ever since. His lung got better but then he had an infection from one of the tubes they put in. He's doing well now and should be home soon.

He looks exactly like his daddy, with the same startling blue eyes and lots of curly brown hair. I never imagined being so in love with anybody, he's had a rocky start but I'm determined that things will only get better and better and better for him. I'm still not 100% well and need to rest as much as possible while he's still in hospital, so I'm gonna go for now, and I'll be back with news as and when I can.

August 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM
#5isontheway's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. I am sorry you have had such a rough experience. You, Chris, and Daniel are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you are feeling better soon. Keep us updated.

Proud Mommy of Chandler (10), Skyler (6), Parker (6), Elias (3) and Brynna
August 30th, 2006, 11:26 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im sorry you had it rough, but im glad you got your boy! maybe next time it will be better for you!

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
August 31st, 2006, 02:48 PM
RachelC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachelC
Oh gosh, Sharron, I'm sorry you had such a rough delivery and that poor baby Daniel had such a rough start! I am hoping he will recover quickly and home real soon. Please keep us posted and post pics when you can!!

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

August 31st, 2006, 07:30 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
[Im so sorry it was a bad experience. I hope you feel better soon and I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers

August 31st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
Congratulations on your little boy.

I am really sorry that you have to go through the whole Pneumothorax issues. My son had the same thing, his was caused by an infection. But it will get better, especially since they got the air out of his lung cavity. It heals up pretty quick.

Keep us updated! YOu and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
September 1st, 2006, 05:02 PM
sbys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, the 22nd must not have been a good day for deliveries! Our experience was a little bit like yours and Elias was born the 22nd too. I'll be thinking of you girl, and I hope Daniel is home with you soon. I know how hard it is to leave him at the hospital.

It will get better... hang in there
September 9th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all your kind wishes girls. Sorry I have still not been around but I have been suffering with awful headaches, the doc said they were migraines but they just don't go away, and most of the time the baby's been asleep, I've been lying down. Now they're thinking I might be a bit anaemic. We'll see.

Chris has some pictures on his pc, when I'm fully recovered I will transfer them over and post some up. Daniel is home now and is doing well. He's very hungry so he's getting stronger and stronger all the time, he is a good baby most of the time and sleeps well at night so far. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

September 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
lilbluedolphin's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lilbluedolphin Send a message via Yahoo to lilbluedolphin
Oh my goodness, you poor thing Im so sorry to hear what you have had to go through. Having a horrible labor and delivery and then having my son taking away right after he was born and not knowing for hours what was wrong, I can imagine what you have been through.

I am really starting to dislike midwifes, thats who I had the night before Max was born that let me go way to long to. I am glad to hear that he is home now. I wonder if what you have is a headache from the epidural. my friends mom got that and she told me that anytime she sat up or got up from a lying down position she would get a terrible headache. I hope you start feeling better soon, you and baby Daniel will be in my prayers
<div align="center"><div align="center"></div><div align="center">~~Thank you Samuelsmommy for my adorable siggy~~</div><div align="center">~~Thank you Ragmama for my new blinkies~~</div></span></span></span></span><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
September 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
Sharon, just popping in. I am so sorry you had to go through that. It is a scary thing. When CJ was born, he had a pneumo medial stinum (sp?) which was an air bubble around the heart. I remember the helpless feeling.

I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers that he makes a full and speedy recovery.

September 19th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Thanks Holly and Robyn I tell you, the only thing that got me through those horrific couple of weeks was knowing so many people were sending their thoughts and prayers out for me and Daniel.

He's doing great now he's home, feeding well (he's already eating 150ml of SMA white every bloomin feed he's such a greedy boy) and happy most of the time.

They've found out I'm anaemic but still don't know whether or not that's what's causing the headaches. I'm on 325g of iron every day and taking co-codamol and that keeps it at bay. I've run out of co-codamol at the minute and it's lurking again (I could only get a doc's appt for tomorrow) so I guess I need all of that at the minute. But as long as it's kept at bay, at least I can enjoy my baby and get out and about again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search