Logan Douglas

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Good luck getting thru this! It's very long!

Logan Douglas Evans
September 22nd 2006
Birth Story

I went to the doctors on Thursday September 21st for my regular weekly appointment, by now I’m 40 weeks and 5 days pregnant. The appointment went well, I was still 50% effaced and 1-2 cm dilated. But being over due my Dr. suggested we get an ultra sound and make sure everything was okay.

Before I left the office the Dr. said she would call the hospital and make an appointment for an induction date for the following week. She planned on calling me with the date.

So off I go to the Quick Check store and grab some lunch, while there the Dr. calls with the induction date of September 26th! Hooray I was going to have a baby next week! We had all these plans to attend a friends birthday party over the weekend and I had mentally prepared myself for having a baby “next week”. I called Doug with the great news, telling him that we had to be at the hospital at 7:00 PM on Monday September 25th so that they could start the ball rolling and I’d be ready for the induction on Tuesday the 26th.

So, it’s 2:00pm, just finished lunch and over I go to my ultrasound appointment at the hospital. The appointment went well, baby looked great until the tech. checked the amniotic fluid…he told me not to panic but the fluid looked low. He wanted the radiologist to check the u/s film and perhaps send me to the 4th floor for a stress test. (4th floor is L&D ward). I go sit outside in the waiting room and 5 mins later he comes out and says that the radiologist suggests a NST (non-stress test), so off I go to L&D.

I arrive at L&D and they have no idea why I’m there! I explained the situation and the nurse told me to take a seat in one of the delivery rooms and she’d get the paper work I needed from the u/s tech. Now between me walking down the hallway, getting in the elevator and riding up 4 floors it had been decided between my u\s tech, the radiologist and my Doctor that they were going to keep me over that night and induce me the next day!!! But no one told me this!! So here I am sitting in the delivery room, reading my book, happy as can be when the nurse comes in and says, “okay honey…put the gown on we’re going to induce you tomorrow morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Needless to say I burst into tears and almost had a heart attack! I said, “but my husband isn’t here!” to which the nurse replied…”that’s okay sweetie, you’re baby isn’t going to arrive in the next 10 minutes”!!!

So I called Doug in tears and told him the situation! He flew out of the office! Then I called Joanna (Joanna1127) and asked her to post on the forum that I was being held prisoner and induced tomorrow! Haha! Just kidding…but I was so shocked and not ready! Talk about being blind sided! Yikes!

My midwife arrives about an hour into me being admitted. Explained that my amniotic fluid was VERY low. Normally it’s around a 5/6 (whatever that means) and mine was at 3! So they didn’t want to wait the weekend, they wanted the baby out sooner rather than later. The midwife explained that I had to have a Folio Ball inserted into my cervix, this is like a dogs squeaky toy (y’know the plastic squeak thing) they insert it into my cervix and pump it up to the size of a golf ball. This helps you to dilate. She said I had to sleep with it in and she’d take it out the next day. No problem. It didn’t hurt a bit. Midwife was very surprised that I handled the procedure so well. She informed me right there that I would be a trooper with this birth process!!! Haha! Apparently it’s painful to get this Folio ball inserted.

So Doug arrives, all is calm. Actually Doug had arrived prior to the Folio ball being inserted, I’m just getting ahead of myself here! We eat dinner. I’m in the bed relaxed and watching TV. Doug has got the bags from the car and all is good! He leaves to go home and get a good nights sleep plus take care of the dogs. I’m in the hospital happy as can be until I start hearing women SCREAMING non stop all night long! Apparently down the hall way there was a woman giving birth to a 9lb baby and she had no pain meds! Turns out she needed an emergency C/S. But she sure did scream for a good few hours! Talk about making me want to get up and RUN! It was very un-nerving to hear women scream like that thru the night! Yikes!

Friday September 22nd:

8:00 AM the Folio ball is removed & I’m already 4 CM dilated with no pain. Midwife is impressed. They start the pitocin drip and check on my periodically. Doug arrives and we’re both besides ourselves with excitement! At 12:00 noon time I’m checked again. I’m now 5 CM dilated, the decision to break my water is made (I felt comfortable with this decision and was involved in the decision making) and was told that this should move my contractions along…………..oh boy! Does it ever! By now it’s 12:30pm and I’m having some serious contractions! Very painful. I tell the midwife we should discuss the epidural, she tells me that that’s the last resort and we should get the tub ready. I said no, forget the tub I’m in too much pain to move…can we do another method of pain management ?…so we do the Staydol drip. It’s an IV that they slowly drip into you to take the edge off from the pain.

I literally passed out from the Staydol drug. It felt like a date-rape drug. I could hear and acknowledge everything but couldn’t open my eyes or think straight. It was like having an out of body experience.

I went from being 5 CM dilated at 12:30 pm to being 10 CM dilated at 2:00 pm! I had to push at 2:00 pm…I pushed for 22 minutes and at 2:22pm Logan Douglas Evans arrived into the world. The nurse and midwife could not believe how quickly I went from 5 to 10 and then how I pushed for 22 mins! They were shocked and told me that they expected to see me in 3 years with baby #2!!!! Ha-bloody-ha! Very funny!!!

Doug video taped the entire birth. Which I am going to be forever grateful for because the Staydol really zonked me out, and I wasn’t really with it. Although when I was told to push/not push I was fully able to follow commands. It was a weird drug! So Doug was taping me and holding one of my legs back at the same time! Talk about multi-tasking! I love that man! I would not suggest getting the Staydol again. Just my opinion..I was too out of it and will have an epidural if I have another baby!

I tore a 2nd degree tear as Logan’s head came thru. The cord was wrapped twice around his neck so I had to stop pushing while they cut the cord. The midwife apologized to Doug but Doug wasn’t concerned that he didn’t get to cut the cord.

The nurse told us that if we have another baby that we should tell them to use only ONE dose of the Staydol and not TWO doses! As I had a really bad reaction and got TOO doped up on the drug! Doug filmed me as I was being stitched up and I look like I’m drunker than a skunk! It’s hysterical!!!

Phew! This was long. Hope you got thru it okay! But I like details!

September 29th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I like the detailed version too - I am so glad that you had such a great experience......is baby #2 out of the question???

Forever in our hearts

September 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
*Cassie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you had such a good experience!! Congratulations!
September 29th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Quote:
I like the detailed version too - I am so glad that you had such a great experience......is baby #2 out of the question???[/b]

Baby #2 is being tossed around right now. I'll be 38 in November and feel 'old' plus I don't want to rush Logan into being a big brother! Then financially can we afford 2? And then of course I worry about being older and all the genetic testing and whatnot..ugh! So no it's not out of the question it's just going to have to happen sooner rather than later. Plus...could I possibly love anyone more than I love Logan????!!! hahah!

September 29th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to puboochu99
I happy you had such a great experience! Congrats on Logan
September 30th, 2006, 08:51 AM
foxyroxie81's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to foxyroxie81
Oh Isabelle I know what you mean about the Staydol they put me on that stuff and I was out of it and when I tried opening my eyes it felt as if the whole world was spinning and then I couldn't even speak loud enough for anyone to hear. And like you said I could hear everything and understand what everyone was saying but I felt like a person in a coma who can't do anything. UGH I am never getting that stuff again then I heard the nurse say that the dose she gave me must of been too strong I am like duh!! lady I have never gotten this before. Anyways mine wore off in like in hour but after I had the baby I got this really bad chill and couldn't stop shivering but the funny thing was that I wasn't cold who knows what was going on in my body. Anyways I am sooo glad you finally had your baby and it was a beautiful but surprising birth story.
September 30th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Oh Isabelle I know what you mean about the Staydol they put me on that stuff and I was out of it and when I tried opening my eyes it felt as if the whole world was spinning and then I couldn't even speak loud enough for anyone to hear. And like you said I could hear everything and understand what everyone was saying but I felt like a person in a coma who can't do anything. UGH I am never getting that stuff again then I heard the nurse say that the dose she gave me must of been too strong I am like duh!! lady I have never gotten this before. Anyways mine wore off in like in hour but after I had the baby I got this really bad chill and couldn't stop shivering but the funny thing was that I wasn't cold who knows what was going on in my body. Anyways I am sooo glad you finally had your baby and it was a beautiful but surprising birth story.[/b]

Wow! Sounds like you had a very similar experience! I could NOT open my eyes, could NOT! And yes the nurse told us that if we have this drug again to only use half the dose! I'm not upset about the birth but I wish I had been a little more with it! Oh well...healthy baby healthy mommy that's the end result right

October 1st, 2006, 12:08 AM
LadyTkachenko's Avatar *~GreenTeamFeb2015~*
WOW! That is so awesome you had such a easy and quick labor.

October 2nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Joanna1127's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Joanna1127
great experience!
October 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on Logan's arrival Joanne....I'm sorry the Stadol made you out of it, I'm sure you would have liked to be in a better frame of mind.

#2 will come, and don't worry about whether you can afford it. You get so use to buying diapers and such that it works itself into your normal budget, when they get potty trained then that expense is gone, so it won't even phase your check book if another came on board then

Logan is one handsome little boy!!

The blinky is clickable!!
October 2nd, 2006, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Congrats on Logan's arrival Joanne....I'm sorry the Stadol made you out of it, I'm sure you would have liked to be in a better frame of mind.

#2 will come, and don't worry about whether you can afford it. You get so use to buying diapers and such that it works itself into your normal budget, when they get potty trained then that expense is gone, so it won't even phase your check book if another came on board then

Logan is one handsome little boy!![/b]

You guys are all killing me with baby #2!!!

October 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
You're little boy is so sweet....Glad to hear that everything went well....

I was on some weird drug when in labour and I actually said out loud, 'I'm so stoned!'....Terrible time to be out of it tho...

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
May 4th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Joanne I FINALLY am able to start reading a few more of these birth stories, you had such a great delivery!! I can't WAIT to read your next one!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wckndte/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
Check out my blog! Full of weightloss, gardening, cooking and budget ideas
http://mcmommethod.blogspot.com/
May 4th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks April! I can't wait to post about my next one.....

65 year old woman finally gets pregnant and gives birth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 8th, 2007, 05:24 AM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
Quote:
Thanks April! I can't wait to post about my next one.....

65 year old woman finally gets pregnant and gives birth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
LOl at you Joanne! I cant believe I didnt post here before. You are a super woman lady!!! Wow what a birth story!

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

May 8th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Thanks Charlotte!

May 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
kaceyracey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Only 22 minutes?!? You go girl - that is awesome. I just realized that I haven't read hardly any of these birth stories, nor posted Lillie's story. Hmmmm I better get on that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search