Azlin's Homebirth story...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, where to start

Monday night (oct 9) Id had contractions about 20 mins apart - just "noticable" - nothing strong or even close to it. After about 3 hours of them, I headed to bed, hoping that theyd do something - pick up or fizzle out. Fizzle.

Tuesday, early that day, Id noticed my contractions were stronger - but farther apart. But - more than noticable - very crampy, a lot stronger.

I went on about my day, saw the chiro, ran a few errands, etc. When I saw my chiro she said to me "Todays the day". I laughed and said "YEAH RIGHT!" lol. She siad I seemed "different" though - and she expected a call from me that night (she had offered to film the birth). Just in case, thouh - she gave me her camcorder, b/c she was planning on leaving town Fri night.

So - I do my errands, have lunch with DH - nothing has changed about the contractions. I pick up my son from school, we come home, they start getting stronger, but not closer together. Well - just before Im supposed to take him to meet my Dh for sons soccer practice, I get 3 strong ones. They stop me in my tracks, and theyre back to back. Icall DH & tell him that I think we should skip practice. Asked him to come home just in case. I dont think this is IT, but I know I would have a tough time if one of those contractions hit me while I was driving. He came home, brought dinner with him. Were fine. Contractions are back to every 30 - 40 mins.

Then - after dinner, I get up to pee - bam - 3 contractions back to back. Like 1 - 2 mins apart. theyre lasting over a minute. Then - back to 30 mins apart. Theyre bringing me to a screeching halt though theyre so intense, and my tailbone is KILLING me. I call the MW.

We hang out, and it continues - contractions 30 mins apart, except for a few here and there that are 2 - 3 mins apart. Theyre all stopping me in my tracks, a few of them bringing me to tears b/c I couldnt feel them coming on - Id get hit with a peak and then it would go down.

So - MW decides to come check me out anyways. Shes an hour and a half away. So about 10:30 she arrives. Somewhere in there DH calls my chiro, my doula, and my cousin who is supposed to watch my son if this is "it".

MW arrives, contractions are 15 mins apart or so with those 2 or 3 back to back ones still creeping in. Im still convinced I needto just drink more water, rest, etc... that its gonna fizzle out. NEver mind that the contractions are picking up in intensity & I am having to really focus all my attention on them. I could laugh & talk between them, but doing that would cause them to catch me off guard.

I have to pee a LOT - but each time I stand up, I get the WORST contractions. ALLLL in my back with some very very low crampiness.

So finally they convince me to go from the spare room to my room, so I can try some different positions. We start filling up the birth tub. Im hesitant to have the tub filled b/c I dont think its it yet.

So, I make it to my bedroom, immediately the contractions are back to back to back - no more 10 and 20 min breaks. Im not sure how long Im there, but once the tub was filled, it started looking really good. i didnt want to get in it yet, b/c I didnt know how far along I was and was afraid that it was still really early and it would slow my labor down. I remember at some point my MW & her assistant laughing and saying "this is NOT fizzling out - this is it - whats it goign to take to convince you?". My reply ? "Crowning" lol.

So I agreed to let the MW check me. 6 cm 100% effaced. -2 station. But OH That was the WORST contraction ever while being checked. Ok, in the tub I go. It takes me a while to find a good spot - I end up on my knees hanging over the edge. It was far from comfortable but it was the only position I could tolerate.

Less than an hour later, Im really starting to wonder how long I can do this. Its strange - it didnt ever cross my mind to go to the hospital, but I was really thinking that this was going to kill me lol. I was gonna pass out from sheer pain lol. They asked if It would help for me to be checked. I waffled, b/c I knew that I would be CRUSHED if I hadnt progressed, even though I KNEW that it wouldnt necessarily mean anything. I told her I just needed some reassurance - go ahead and check me but lie to me & tell me Id progressed even if I hadnt lol.

She checked me and I was 8 cm, baby at 0 station. It had been less than an hour after i was checked and was 6 cm. Not sure where, but somewhere between the two exams, i remember this feeling - just a huge turnaround in my whole body & in my head. i swear, at the time I thought my head spun around, and my uterus did a somersault. i just looked up and siad "what happened?! Something changed!" We still dont know what this was - our guess is it was transition hitting or the baby turning from posterior to anterior.

Somewhere in here - they were massaging my back, putting warm cloths on my back, etc. I remember yelling at them to stop putting so much pressure on my back - DH said at that time he was just resting his hand on my back. But it felt like a ton of bricks. I had such a hard time focusing. I couldnt get my head in the right spot, and a few times I kept thinking "this is what ti feels like to go crazy" lol. I tried focusing on everything and anything I could. Music, voices, and at one point I remember just trying to get my head into the middle of the pain. It was so hard. Finally - at some point my feet went numb and I used that to focus on lol. The strange things we do in labor lol.

So - also somewhere in there, I remember going "ok, this is it - I just cant do it - I need a break". I had ONE more contraction - and then got a 10 min break. WOW. woo hoo. This happened maybe 2 or 3 times before she was born.

I kept asking the MW how much longer, how much longer, tell me anything - make it up, just tell me how much longer. She kept answering "as long as the baby needs - not a minute more". Argh! lol. I begged her to hurry it along, make it go faster. Anything. I remember biting my thumbs, and apparantly somewhere in there I bit DH's thumb as he was holding my hand.

Then - finally i looked up and I said "ok this is it - 10 more minutes - thats all I have left". I started bearing down during contractions. I cant say it was a good feeling, but it was uncontrollable almost. I was worried about pushing too soon, but couldnt move to have her examine me. She told me as long as it didnt hurt, to go for it. Pft - everything hurt, what was SHE talking about?! lol.

So - I kept bearing down... I remember lokoing up at one poitn adn screaming my butt hurt. And it did lol. Iremember saying "Im gonna use the bathroom" and they told me it was the baby. I told them I think its coming out the wrong hole lol. We got a good laugh then it was back to pushing lol.

During this time, the MW was able to get behind me enough to check me - Iwas getting nauseas at the peaks, and having a hard hard time focusing. It felt like there was a whirlwind going on around me. She mentioned I had a lip of my cervix, and to lift a leg. I screamed I couldnt, but then instinctively did it somehow. I must have lifted the right leg, b/c she pushed it out of the way in a matter of moments - but wow that hurt. more than crowning.

Somewhere in there, they got my son and brought him down. I hadnt been worreid about how hed handle it until that moment. I was screaming my brains off during pushes - I just couldnt help it. Not screaming screaming - but really really loud groaning lol.

He came in - I never saw him come in - I just looked up and he was there - I asked him if he was ok, and he said yeah Back to pushing.

I felt the head emerge, they told me to feel Wow - best feeling ever. And what a source of motivation. I tried taking it slowly, but couldnt, the urges were too strong. I pushed a few more times, screamed for them to just yank her if they had to - get her OUT of me lol. Her shoulders had gotten a little stuck, they never rotated the whole way with her head and they both came out at the same time. The rest was a blur, somehow I managed to reach down, and catch her, and flip over.

I held her close to me, and immediately thought "OMG - I did that!". It was amazing. My butt still hurt horribly, so i couldnt sit fully, so I kind of leaned back and floated in the water using my legs to hold my bottom off the ground. She latched on right away

My son came over & cut the cord once it was done pulsing which was only a matter of minutes. We handed her off to DH and I delivered the placenta. I got up, got in the bed, and we just snuggled

From the time I said "i can only do it 10 more minutes" - it was 11 minutes and she was born Cool stuff huh!? And - it was only about 45 mins after they checked me and I was 8 cm. So all together it went really quickly.

The rest of the time I just laid there in awe

I keep remembering more and mroe each day - so much of it was a blur. I was in my own world thats for sure lol.

So thats her story We finally decided to name her Azlin, but were still working on a middle name. Actually - we handed off the final decision to our boys, and they decided on Azlin lol. Maybe Amelie or Elizabeth.

So thats it, were absolutely amazed, and I still cant believe I did it. I look back and I know I wouldnt have done it any other way. I loved being able to hop right into my bed and just STAY THERE.

Oh - I did have two small tears - one going up, and one going down along the line where I had an episiotomy with my son, but both were less than a 1st degree & healed right back together almost immediately so I didnt need stitches.

I had a little excessive bleeding afterwards, which turned out to be fromt he top tear bc it was along a vein. i got some HemHalt and some other herbs to stop it, and never needed anything else (no pitocin or anything).

Everything went perfectly

Dh admitted to being a little scared, esp with me yelling & then the tears & bleeding, but he said it only lasted a second.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 15th, 2006, 05:54 PM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! Great story, Lala and a great name!! Congrats!!

October 15th, 2006, 07:14 PM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
Great job lala!!!!!! Welcome to the world baby Azlin!!!

October 15th, 2006, 07:45 PM
ashley *'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story Lala! Congrats on your homebirth
October 16th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your birth! I admire you for being soo brave and having her at home with no drugs. I would have died! LOL I love the name Azlin! Great job!

October 16th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad you got the experience you wanted... Great story - and congratulations! Love the name!

Charlotte and Josie - Our beautiful girls!
Scott & Julie, married September 2001
October 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
cpjames's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to cpjames
Congratulations i also like the name!!

Want a Exclusive Premade or Customized Blogger Template?

</div>
October 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Mama_Gena's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mama_Gena
Awesome job lady!
You should be so proud of yourself!

Share some pic with us!
October 16th, 2006, 01:50 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
awesome! congrats!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
October 16th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

such a fantastic birth story! Cant wait to see some more pic's of your little girl
Mummy to 2 boys expecting #3.

October 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM
BLUDOLPHIN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to BLUDOLPHIN
CONGRATS!!!
awesome story. can't wait to see pics!

October 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
aihsela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aihsela Send a message via MSN to aihsela
OMG Lala..that was so beautiful. You made me cry .
October 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow oh wow!!! Thanks so much for sharing, Lala! You did soooo great! Everything went so quickly and it sounds like it was really super intense. I usually have a bit more time to focus and breathe, lol. What a woman you are! I KNOW you feel soooo empowered, too!! I'm so proud of you! I knew you could and would do it!!!!

Isn't it just the BEST to be able to crawl right into your own bed? I love it!

Vikki, Earthy Mama to 4 great kids.

October 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
AWESOME, you so totally rock you don't even know girl!!

Yay Azlin!!! Congrats!!!

October 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's my LaLa! Woman you are something! Yay! I am so proud! I need pictures!

October 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
tiffluv's Avatar Veteran
What a beautiful birth story! Congrats on your new little one!

<span style="font-family:Franklin Gothic Medium">Tiffany 28
Jeff 26</span>

Me and the rugrats.
October 23rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Ok, LaLa is now my HERO. I LOVED this story!
October 24th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
~*Congratulations*~ What a wonderful birth story!

Mama to -
DD15, DD14, DD12, DS10, DS5, DD2

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
October 27th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Pharry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your little girl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search