Alannah Mairia's birth - October 7th

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Veteran
At 10.30pm on October 5th, I got into bed and felt a "pop", after a few minutes I felt lots of moisture between my legs, my water had broken!

I called the doc and he agreed with me that it wasn't worth rushing to the hospital as contractions hadn't even started. After about 1/2 hr the contractions started but they really weren't too painful. We ended up staying up all night as the contractions got progressively closer together. At 6am I called the doc back as they were 5 mins apart and he told me to meet him there in an hour. In the car on the way they were minutes apart so I thought we were close!

When I got to the hospital they checked my cervix and I was only 2cm dilated, very disappointing and then the contractions went further apart. We walked for miles around the L&D ward, I rocked on the rocking chair, sat on the birthing ball - anything to get them going again. At 2pm the nurses advised me to start on pitocin to get the contractions stronger as my waters had broken I was on a timeline. I really didn't want pitocin as it makes labor more painful and therefore I felt my dreams of a natural birth fading fast, by this stage I didn't care though! I was on pitocin for hours and succumbed to an epidural at 7pm. After this James & I managed a few hours sleep as we were both completely exhausted.
At midnight I was fully dilated so started to push. I managed to push Alannah right down my birth canal straight away but then she stuck. After 2 hrs of non-stop pushing I was just exhausted so the doc came in and told me he could have Alannah out with the vacuum if I could push really strongly for 3 times. After 2 pushes I looked down and her head was out and then I gave a final push (minus vacuum) and she was out!!

They put her straight onto my belly so I could bond with her, it was the MOST amazing and overwhelming feeling in the world. James was just mesmerized and started taking pictures of her, even though she was covered in vernix & blood! I also managed to start breastfeeding as soon as they'd cleaned her off too which was great and just what I wanted.

They discharged us from the hospital on the following day as Alannah and I were doing really well and breastfeeding was going great too. It's so amazing to have her home and we both can't stop smiling and keep just spending hours staring at our little miracle.
October 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, wow! That pitocin is some nasty stuff, huh? Congratulations and I'm glad you're both alright!!!

Charlotte and Josie - Our beautiful girls!
Scott & Julie, married September 2001
October 27th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Pharry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search