Kayla Nicole

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM
ashley *'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to attempt this the best I can, but the details have been fuzzy to me from the beginning, and after a week of sleep deprivation, they've only gotten fuzzier I'm even sitting here with the "Labor and Delivery Summary" in front of me with the times that everything happened, but you all know doctors' handwriting

*OK, now that I'm done, this turned out a LOT longer than I had planned (I never thought I could remember this much!), sorry *

For weeks I was asked everyday "You don't even feel any different?" ...kind of makes a person impatient! But when I woke up Sunday the 29th, I finally did feel different, and I knew it would be soon! (Well duh, I was 41w2d, of course it would have to be soon!) I woke up at 10 AM Sunday with a contraction (and a VERY full bladder ) and they continued irregularly all day. I was a little disappointed when they stopped long enough to get a half hour nap in that night, thinking I'd been wrong and this wasn't it, but that's actually when things really got rolling.

I watched a movie, went on the computer to fullfill my JM addiction, and decided it was time for bed. Yea right! I tried timing them while I laid there, but the pain seemed constant and I didn't have the patience to look for any kind of a pattern. I was restless so back onto the computer I went, and made Kelly listen to my pointless babbling so I could take my mind off the pain. This was about 2 or 3 AM, and continued till about 4:30 when I decided to get a shower (I needed to shave ) After my shower, at about 5 AM, my mom was awake, and I alternated between bothering Kelly and my mom. Mom started timing my contractions - 4 minutes apart - and made me call the doctor. When he called back he told me to come in, so we got ready and my aunt (my "coach") picked us up at 6 AM.

We got there at about 6:30 AM and I was monitered untill 7 AM when they admitted me. I was 3cm and 98%, and the nurse told me to just page her when I wanted my epidural. I just layed there for a while wishing I wasn't there, saying I wanted to go home. I was so scared! I also remember thinking "This isn't so bad though, why do people need epidurals?" HAH! Silly, silly girl. Little did I know!

Residents walked in and out introducing themselves and doing internals. I didn't take much note of what they said my progression was, as the pain was getting worse, and I really didn't care what they had to say. I knew that even though my actual OB was currently on call, he wouldn't deliver me, because I was supposed to have an appt with him at 11:30 AM that day (the office called my cell phone later that day to find out why I'd missed the appt ) and I just KNEW that my least favorite doctor would be the one to deliver. Well, of course that's who walked in the door. In the end he was nice enough, but I would have like to have my OB there. It helped that the Dr. clocked his head on the overhead light while coming over to check me Knock some sense into him maybe?

At about 9 AM they introduced the Penicillin to my IV because of the +GBS. OMG did that hurt! I was practically hysterical over it, had my mom and aunt (former nurses) checking me for collapsed veins and all. My actual OB came in to say hello and inform me that he was now off duty, and as much as I love that man, all I could do was scream at him that I wanted this thing out NOW. I was in tears it burned so bad, hurt worse than the contractions. He seemed peeved that the bag of it was ICE cold, and tried to calm me down and convince me that I would like the doctor that was delivering and that he'd be back the next day. After he said goodbye the nurse came right in to force it through faster... I love my OB

At 10 AM I had been up for 24 hours (minus the half hour nap) and the only thing I could say through the pain (and my pounding on the bed) was that I just wanted to go to sleep. My mom and aunt convinced me it might be time for the epi so that I could get some rest (I was terrified of the epi, so I was putting it off.) At about 10:15 AM my new wife, the epi lady, arrived and by 11 AM I was feeling relief. Getting the epi wasn't bad at all, and I'm the biggest baby ever when it comes to needles! I'm glad I got it when I did, because by the time she got there I couldn't think straight and was ignoring the epi ladys questions because of it. Dumb thing, since she needed the info for the epi

I decided to take a nap (ok, so maybe I didn't "decide" as much as pass out) and snored my way through several internals, another bag of Penicillin, and a couple of centimeters. I woke up at about 1 PM and I was still pretty overtired and out of it. I noticed that my right side was completely numb, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't move it. My left side, although I didn't feel any pain, I could try to move (even though my efforts ended up in my leg falling off the bed ) The OB and a resident did an internal that determined me to be 5-7 cm and I continued on falling asleep and waking up to call or talk to someone and fall asleep again for about 2 more hours.

At 3 PM they woke me up to break my water. I started being able to feel the contractions again, and it was NOT fun. I called for the epi lady to up it, and continued to fall in and out of sleep for a while afterwards. I woke up again to lots of pressure, and paged the nurse telling her so. The nurse and OB came in and the OB said he hoped I was at least 7 or 8 cm... I was 9! He said we'd start pushing at 4:30 PM.

By 4 PM I couldn't take the pressure any more, and paged the nurse. She had me start pushing at 4:15 PM. At first on my back then she gave me a break in which I started throwing up. The nurse walked in during it and said "Oh good, this helps pushing along too" Then I pushed on my left side, then on my right side, back again, left side again. I couldn't breathe... it all went so fast yet felt like it would never be over. I pushed 3 or 4 times with every contraction, and her head just kept going back up! The nurse let me take fewer breaks and shorter breaths, and that helped keep her from going back up after I was done pushing. The nurse paged the OB, and a NICU nurse came in, and everything is a huge blur from there. I remember them taking apart the bed, and turning the light on into my eyes, but I don't remember pushing. I only remember finally looking down as she came out and saying "OMG, OMG, OMG" over and over

My beautiful Kayla was born at 5:50 PM, weighing 7lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long. I didn't get to hold her until a resident OB was done butchering me with stitches but when I finally did I forgot everything, and every moment of the last 41+ weeks was made totally worthwhile
November 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
awe!! what a beautiful tale... made all the better by the lack of SD
Good work ash!!

xxx
Aunty Kelly

November 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Megan30's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Beautiful story Ash! I've been dying to hear it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search