Peter's Pregnancy/Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Cright's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Cright
This is the first time I've written my birth story. I'm glad to be doing this now, because I'll eventually print it for his baby book too.

John and I found out that we were pregnany in Feburary... 6 months after being married. It was unexpected but a welcomed joy! We made the announcement to our friends and family at my birthday party in March. My parents found out they'd be grandparents for the first time!! (dh's parents for the 5th time).

Right away I decided i wanted to go to Bradley classes and have a natural birth. I was hopeing to give baby a drug free entrance to the world.

June we found out that he was a boy! How exciting... we knew his name would be Peter Franklyn (Peter for my side, Franklyn for John's side)

I found out around 36 weeks that Peter was breech. I started contacting several area midwifes to get opinions on vaginal birth, and more importantly, natural ways to get baby to flip!

I tried "Webster Technique" w/a chairopractor 5x/week for a few weeks. I did slant board technique more times than I can count (using ice at top of belly and light and music at bottom etc). I also tried hypnotherapy. He didn't flip.

Finally I decided I would try a version. I was already 39w 4d so the doc said if it worked he'd induce, and if it didn't he wanted to do the c-section right away. After MUCH agnoizing between this option and trying a home birth and weighing all of the risks, I decided to try the version and pray it worked...

It didn't!!

The entire time every person in my room introduced themselves to me. I really liked my anestistis (sp?) Mike. He made me feel very comfortable. John really liked all of our team too. That made me feel so much more comfortable!

So wheeled into the OR and prepped I was. John was with me the whole time.. just leaving a few seconds to get into some scrubs and a hat and mask. During that time they preped me and then he walked in and sat next to me as they started surgury.

15 mins later they held up a mirror for me and let John stand up to see Peter coming out. He was pink and beautiful. They cut his cord and wisked him off to the corner of the room to be cleaned and evaluated. I asked "Is he really a boy?" and they said "Yes, he's really a boy!" John held my hand the whole time. It was so nice.

Finally Dr. B told John he could walk over and hold the baby... so he asked me if I minded.. I said "No.. please go hold him!" If I couldn't hold him, I wanted John to be able to! I asked the apgars.. they were 8 and 9! Awesome! But I realised I needed my hand held! Haha... it was a huge help for me, more than I'd ever imagined it could be. So I just spoke out... "Can someone PLEASE hold my hand! haha So some nurse came and held my hand for me! I immediatly felt better.. then John asked to come sit next to me w/ the baby. They said that was fine (although they wouldn't let him walk w/ the baby.. they took Peter and once John was seated next to me gave Pete back to John). I got to touch his little hands and cheeks.. and John even lifted him over me for me to kiss his forehead! oh what a feeling! I get tears in my eyes now thinging of how amazing that first little kiss was.

As they finnished stitching me up they took baby to the nursury and I had John go with... I told John once he has some other people up to watch Peter in the nursury (our parents etc) then he could come back to me... and he did. He met me back in recovery in about 15 mins. I had to stay in recovery for about 90 mins so he went back and forth between me and baby until I was allowed to go to my room.

Once I got to my room, I was cleaned up and they brough Peter to me w/in 10 mins. Finally... my little man was in my arms. The most precious, perfect little life I could imagine! The picture in my signature is of us about 2 mins into the first time I'd ever held him. John and I were overwhelmed with love.

He was born Thursday at 10:48 am 7lbs 4oz and 19 inches.
We left the hospital on Saturday and were home at 7pm.
Our first outing was Sunday morning to church. (admitly too soon... but wonderful).

I'm looking forward to all of the wonderful moments to come, but cherish each moment I have with him as it happens. Parenthood is by far better than I could have imagined.. sleepness nights and all!

Carina

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search