Brooke Elizabeth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
melmeeres's Avatar Member
My daughter was born at 31w 5d. I will share the story that I wrote for her website. Although it was very scary at the time, I am glad to say everything is perfect now. She will be 6 months old next week and i almost 13 pounds. She is as healthy as any other baby, and although she is behind developmentally, she is perfectly on target for her adjusted age (age from due date) So here it is!

Well i guess i might as well start at the beginning, which starts many months ago. Every month since we discovered I was pregnant i have been going to my prenatal appointments diligently. They were all going great, except for one thing. My blood pressure kept creeping higher and higher. At my 26 week appointment my doctor decided I needed to take some medication for my high blood pressure. I said okay. At this point, i was concerned, but really didn't think much of it. A few weeks after this I started to swell up. Not just a little bit, I was SWOLLEN. My face, my hands, and especially my feet. Now I was starting to get worried.

On June 19 I had a standard prenatal doctors appointment. I went in and discovered that my blood pressure was 164/100, and there was 3+ protein in my urine. Not good. My doctor decided to admit me to the hospital for a 24 hour urine and for general monitoring of my blood pressure. So off Shawn and i went, thinking I'd be back home again in a day or two. After two days in the hospital things were not looking good. The protein was not decreasing and my BP was staying the same. On June 21 i had an ultrasound and it was discovered that there was very little amniotic fluid surrounding Brooke and that she was very small for her gestational age. Two signs that her placenta was not functioning well. That evening around 6 pm, the doctor decided i needed to be flown to Edmonton, where if Brooke were to be delivered early she could be taken care of. I immediately called Shawn and told him to rush home from work (about an hour away) I needed him with me. Well thank goodness the paramedics were late, otherwise Shawn never would've made it on time. We decided that Shawn would drive the car down instead of fly with me, so that we would have a vehicle in the city. So Shawn headed home to pack and i headed to the airport. Even at this point I was still naive enough to believe that nothing major would happen.

So I was flown to the Royal Alexandra hospital in Edmonton. That night I spent not really knowing anything about what may or may not happen. That was all to change the next day. I had another ultrasound on Thursday June 22, and was talked to by a perinatologist. He told me that there was very little fluid and Brooke was very small, well we already knew this. Then came the worst part. I would not be leaving the hospital without having delivered Brooke. That's when it really sunk in. This was serious. I remember him telling me that they want to try and make it to 34 weeks. And me in my naivety asked what happens when we hit 34 weeks, will they induce me then? He then told me "You will not make it to 34 weeks". He said it so matter of factly. Before this point I honestly believed I would just stay in the hospital for a couple weeks before she was born. Little did I know she would be here in four short days.

For the next two days i was in the hospital getting NST's three times a day and BP checks every two hours. On Saturday June 24, they came in around 7:00 to do an NST. Two hours later i was still hooked up and starting to get really worried. On NST's they look for accelerations. Places where the heartbeat accelerates in response to movement. Well in two hours Brooke had no accelerations. Lots of movement, but her heartrate wasn't increasing in response to that movement. At this point things starting moving quite fast. The doctor was called in and so was the perinatologist. It was decided that i was going to be induced that night.

Shawn had already gone home, so i called him and told him what was going on. We decided together that he would wait till morning to come back as we knew inducing would take a long time. So they moved me upstairs and inserted cervadil into my cervix. They inserted it around 12:40 AM on Sunday June 25. I immediately started having contractions. Not anything serious though, just small contractions with no particular rhythm. At 4:30 i was awoken by the doctor. They had been monitoring Brooke's heartbeat during this whole time, and now they were starting to get worried. Brooke's heartbeat was not doing well, she was having a lot of decelerations. It was time for surgery.

This is when things really started to hit me. With induction i knew i still had a day or two, but now they were telling me i had a matter of an hour or two. I called Shawn and made him rush to the hospital. Then they started prepping me for surgery. I had never been so scared in my life. My poor little girl had no idea what was about to happen. In just a matter of moments she would be ripped out of the safe and secure home that she had been in. Why? In just a short hour and a half, this pregnancy would be over 8.5 weeks premature. Shawn arrived in the OR just as they were about to get started. Thank god for him. He truly was my rock through this whole thing.

At 6:16 AM on June 25 my sweet little angel was born weighing only 2 lbs 12 oz. I remember the doctor telling Shawn to look up, she's here, and all of a sudden i panicked. She's here? Why isn't she crying? For one moment I was terrified. Then all of a sudden, i heard the greatest sound I had ever heard in my life. My little girl cried. What a beautiful sound that sent me to tears. The first thing she did when she came out was grabbed the nurses finger and wouldn't let go! That a girl. She was strong, i just knew things would be okay. Her apgar scores were 8 at 1 minute and 9 at 2 minutes. Impressive!!

December 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
What a wonderful story!!! You're little girl is absolutely adorable, and what a miracle!! I have tears in my eyes just thinking about what you went through! You are such a strong momma!

What a wonderful story!!! You're little girl is absolutely adorable, and what a miracle!! I have tears in my eyes just thinking about what you went through! You are such a strong momma!

March 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Behiye YK
awww thank god everything worked out ok--I never realized you had such a traumatic experience! You are strong, Brooke is truly a miracle and a blessing.

July 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Veteran
What a beautiful name!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search