Donna Elizabeth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2006, 12:27 AM
Epi_rush's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't believe I've waited this long to post a birth story and honestly, I wasn't going to. I mean, how many CS's can you read about? But then I thought about all the girls that might be lurking and looking for multiple CS information and thought.. "why not". So, for what it's worth, here's my story..

I was scheduled for Friday September the 8th after my doctor decided that the baby was too big to pass through me. He said that any baby over 5 pounds would never make it and Beth was a healthy 8 pounds, at least. So, fear sets in hard for me. I was praying so much for a VBAC because recovery is so much easier. Little did I know then that the recovery from this section was going to be a living nightmare. My first CS recovery wasn't too bad.. I was just sore for a few days and it took me a while to get back up to speed.. nothing big. Anyway...

I show up at the hospital early Friday morning to fill out paper work and get prepped. I was admitted to L&D, hooked up to monitors and had my IV started. I went to the bathroom (last minute evacuation thing!) and then came the catheter. Once they ran 2 bags of IV fluids through me, it was time to go to the OR. I dreaded it and I was petrified. I didn't want to go but wanted it to be over with all at the same time. I mean, you're pregnant.. the baby has to come out.. what are you going to do? On a side note, I have a problem with fluid retention and I have had this problem since I was pregnant with my first baby in 1995. Now, just think.. they forced 2 full bags of fluid through me within a little over an hour or so. Yeah.. YIKES. So now I'm off to surgery...

DH takes my ring and goes to get prepped for the OR. I moved from the wheel chair over to the table and I was asked by the anesthesiologist to sit on the side of the table and lean forward. The nurse comes over and stands in front of me to keep me from falling into the floor, face first. I was freezing my arse off! Of course OR's are always cold, but this was crazy cold! Once the anesthesiologist started pumping the spinal in, I welcomed it.. Before, I was petrified of it, but once it started to take effect, my legs felt SOOO warm.. OMG that was wonderful. I even blurted it out "ohh, that feels so warm".. he said "where".. and I said "in my legs".. he said "good, that's what I want to hear". Well, even better for my nerves. I feel good and everything is going like it should. Yay. So, after a minute or two, they help me lay back and the anesthesiologist starts poking me in the side asking "can you feel this".. yeah.. I felt it about mid way up my side..well, that wasn't high enough for him, so he tilts the head of the table down until I can't feel anything about 4 inches or so under my armpits. Well, he was happy then. (whoopie.. let's get it over with) DH comes in.. HOORAY! Now I feel better because I know I won't die alone. (yeah, seriously.. that's how I think) Anyway, doc comes in and says "ready to have a baby".. and I said "might as well.. I'm not prepped for playing football".

So, doc cuts me about half an inch lower than he did on the previous CS.. I guess that's normal practice now? Heck if I knew.. it had been 11 years since the last one. DH was sitting by my head and neither of us talked much.. I was so nervous I didn't know what to say and I was scared to death to move my head for some reason. Anyway, a few minutes later, doc pulls Beth out and lays her on my tummy and DH leans forward and looks at her, then looks at me and cries. He tells me how beautiful she is.. but.. I'm not hearing her cry! It was so silent.. for too long I thought. I remember when they were suctioning all the fluid out of me, one of the nurses said "wow, she's really got a lot of fluid".. well, apparently, so did Beth. They suctioned and suctioned and when she finally cried, you could tell there was still a lot of fluid in her lungs.

They assessed her for what seemed like forever and then finally, DH came over to me with Beth all swaddled in his arms. She was indeed beautiful and her cheeks were SO chubby! I immediately thought "OMG, Mini-Matt".. she looks JUST LIKE my DH.

Donna Elizabeth
8 lbs. 3 oz.
20 in.

Anyhoo, long story short on the end and 6 week PP thing:

I ended up with pneumonia before I left the hospital, thanks to all the pre surgery fluids, my incision opened TWICE and I think I ended up at the docs office 5 or 6 different times to have it poked so that it would remain open so all the excess fluid would continue to drain out. Even at 8 weeks PP, I still felt like crap and thought I'd never get back to normal. Now that Beth is almost 4 months old, I'm finally starting to feel more like me again.

Was she worth it all? You bet!!
Would I do it again? Probably not.

December 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM
*Cassie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you had such a bad recovery, but you are right, she is totally worth it!! What a gorgeous little newborn she was!
January 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
wow youve had a tough time pp. Im glad you are feeling better and thanks for managing to get your story up

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search