Owen William

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Morwen's Avatar Regular
Little Owen makes his grand entrance into this world on May 27th, 2006.

On Tuesday May 23rd I had what I thought was going to be a routine check up with my OB... However it had seemed that my recent move into our new house caused more stress than I thought and my blood pressure was waaaaaaaaaaay up... Like possible dropping dead of a stroke high blood pressure...

Which was weird because I felt perfectly fine...

Needless to say my OB sent me over to Triage immediately for futher tests and monitoring...

And that is where I stayed until Owen was born...

The doctor ran her tests and told me pretty much that I was going to be induced and the baby was coming early... I freaked out...

I wasn't even unpacked from our move, how in the heck was I going to bring a baby home to this mess... I was pretty upset, which did nothing for my blood pressure... Hence the reason my OB hospitalized me, because she knew if she sent me home I would be nesting and would have unpacked the house.. So I should give her props for knowing me and being proactive..

They monitored me for a couple of days, and when my ultrasound came back with low amniotic fluid levels they decided to start my induction...

It started Thursday morning with a cervical ripening...

And by Thursday night at 9:30pm they started my IV and my steady dosage of Syntocin (Oxytocin) which increased every half hour until I maxed out at 12:30am... That is when the OB on call came in and broke my water...

As soon as my water broke I was done for... Active labour had started and I saw what everyone was talking about... And for those ladies who are able to do it with out the pain medication my hat is off to you... Because I only lasted about an hour and a half in active labour before I broke and requested the epidural...

I don't care what relaxation techniques you learn in prenatal classes, in books, or on videos... NONE OF IT MATTERS!!! It is all forgotten... Even my mediation skills became minimal, and I was unable to believe I was in a mind over matter situation...

Once I recieved my epidural all was bliss again and I slept through the rest of my labour.. waking up periodically to switch sides...

I finally woke up when I was 9 1/2 cm dilated around 1130am and in half an hour I was ready to push..

Our day nurse was awesome, and she was a great coach... I know it is her job and all but she knew exactly what to do and exactly how to talk to me... She made me feel at ease and was so relaxed which just changed all the dynamics of the room.

Also another BIG THANK YOU goes out to my Anesthesiologist (I wish I could remember his name)... I just called him my new best friend... He was quick and professional and I barely felt a thing...

I was so worried about the epidural, I had seen videos of the procedure, read books about it, and of course heard every horror story there is about it and I ended up so incredibly frightened of it... But I suppose it all comes dow to the anesthesiologist, and by the grace of God I had a good one having a good day!

I really did want to do it natural without the drugs however according to the nurses my body wouldn't have been able to handle the labour anyways... Not with my high blood pressure... I would have ended up having an c-section..

So after 15 hours of labour (which I slept through with thanks to my epidural) I naturally delivered my baby boy...

I only pushed for 30 minutes and he was out... Part of my motivation to push was the OB who delivered my baby coming in around 730am and telling me that there was no way I was pushing this baby out, and to prep an OR... I was dead set against a C-section, not to the point I would have sacrificed my sons or my life... But I was going to do whatever I could to do it naturally...

It was a great expirence and I truly cannot wait to do it again...

Seeing my child for the first time was the most undescribable moment of my life... To be so entirely in love with someone in that instant was just so crazy...My soul filled with joy and instantaniously my life had purpose beyond my own selfish reasons...

And that is how Owen William enter this world...

~
February 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
Great story! Loving the name too!
February 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
What a great birth. Sorry you did not get to go without pain med's but it sounds like you did great. Congrats.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing your story with us!! I hope you'll keep posting here.

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt
May 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Dayna1
I'm with you! All those stupid breathing exercises do NOTHING when they break your water...OUCH!!!!! Talk about horrible contractions!

I loved reading your birth story...congratulations!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search