My Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2007, 01:54 PM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I finally went and found this to post. Hope it's ok that I share.

Well, we had a little vacation baby. When we left for our vacation Sept. 16, I was just under 34 weeks along, so who would've thought we'd have a baby!!

I took it really easy while on vacation, but there was Tuesday I walked on the beach in the afternoon, then that evening walked 4 blocks to visit DH brother who was also there, just at another house. When I got up the next morning, my back was killing me. Everytime I moved, I had major pains. I thought maybe I had done too much, so I hardly moved the rest of the week. Little did I know, I was in the very, very early stages of labor. I think it might've been him dropping. I took it easy most of the remainder of the week. DH and I went out Friday afternoon to do a little shopping and just to hang out. I didn't do much walking, but I guess it was just enough.

Around 5 on September 22, my water broke, but of course, I had no idea it was my water breaking. I had just gone to the bathroom to change for the beach, so I thought it was a little odd that I was leaking. I looked after I went to the bathroom and I saw a little mucas blob, which must've been my plug. Really thought nothing of it and that it was just a normal thing. So, it kinda felt like a warm leak. My best friend who had a baby in May was at the beach with us, so I went and asked her about water breaking and what it felt like. She said it was disgusting (she went almost 42 weeks and it had meconiam -sp??). So, I went to the potty since I thought it was nothing, but I was bleeding and it freaked me out. So, I searched around trying to find the number for my doctor, the after hours number for my doctor. Found nothing. I finally called the hospital at the beach and told them what happened and they told me to come in, that they wouldn't know anything until they checked me out. So, I get Damon and tell him we need to go to the hospital. We were both in bathing suits since we were going to the beach. While we were in the car, I had a pain, which must've been my first contraction. About 5 minutes later, I had another one, but it wasn't that bad. They kept coming about 5 minutes apart. I was sitting in the ER waiting room (must've looked uncomfy) for L&D to come take me up, since it was late Friday evening. While I was sitting there the ER nurse came out and said she'd take me up since I looked like I wasn't comfy. So, she took me up and left me with a L&D nurse. The hospital only had 2 L&D rooms, so I was in the hallway in the hospital gown, watching them clean the room they were putting me in and all the while having contractions. I got into the room and was talking to the nurses saying I didn't know why I was there because I wasn't having a baby.

I was on the bed and the doctor checked to see if it really was my water that had broken and to see if I was dialated. Well, it was my water that had broken and I was 4cm dialated. The doctor did a sonogram to check his weight and other things. The doctor did an internal to ensure he was head down and he was, so he said that was good because that meant I didn't have to have a C-section. He then spoke to me and told me that the hospital I was in didn't normally deliver babies that were under 36 weeks gestation, but that my labor was progressing too fast to airlift to Norfolk, VA. He told me that if the baby came while we were in the air, they couldn't ensure the safety of the baby or me. That had me in tears cuz I was worried about the baby. He told me not to worry, that they would make sure everything was going to be ok. The epidural guy came in then and told me how it would work and what he would do. At this point I wasn't in much pain, so I told him I would let them know. I continued to contract as they were trying to get the IV in. I think about a half hour later, the doctor came back and asked me how my pain was and if there was anything he could do for me. I was in a lot of pain at this point, so I told him to just make the pain stop with the epi. He said ok, I'll order the epidural for you. So the nurse checks to see how dialated I was and I was up to 8. They said forget it, you don't have time for an epi. So there are doctors and nurses buzzing around trying to get everything set up for the delivery. They told me I had to wait until the pediatrician was there before I could push. I told them they must be kidding. The ped was there in a few minutes, so then it was time to push. It took me a long time to push and in between pushing, I was on oxygen cuz of baby's heart rate. I think it was 25-35 minutes of actual pushing. I was screaming the whole time get him out, get him out!! All my friends in the waiting area could hear me, from what they have told me. When he was finally out, they put him on my lower belly and he had a head full of black hair. He screamed right away, then they suctioned all the stuff out and took him to get cleaned up. I had a second degree tear, but all in all not too bad. So from the time my water broke until the time I delivered, it was about 3 hours. People keep telling that is quick.

I was up walking around and in the bathroom within 2 hours of delivering, though I was shaking so much right after delivery and I was cold. They brought him back to me and we got to look at him. He's such a pretty little guy.

April 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
wow what a fast birth! I would have been so scared! You did so well without any pain meds!

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search