Rylan Michael Lee Brown's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2007, 07:06 AM
RylansMomma's Avatar Veteran
Since I'm new, I thought I'd add my birth story... This is C&P'ed from my baby journal on another site:

Quote:
Journal entry written May 4th, 2006:

Well, my little one is finally here and I am on cloud nine... We're thrilled beyond belief and the love I have felt from EVERYONE this week is indescribable! It's been a long rollercoaster ride to get here, but now that we're here and we have him, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm totally crying as I am posting this because I just still can't believe we did it, I just can't believe that he's here and that he's our's!

And now, without further ado, here is the LONG story of Rylan Michael Lee Brown's birth...

We got up around 6am on Monday, May 1, and headed to meet up with our families for breakfast. It was a nice morning and really relaxing to have everyone together before heading off for such a big event. Mommy didn't eat much, and that would prove to be not such a good idea later on in the day.

We checked into the hospital at 8am. We headed to our room, I put my gown on and put my things away. The doctor came in to check me and to get everything started. He did my internal examination and I was still at 2cms and the baby was fairly high up, which was odd considering that he was really low at the office. My blood pressure was still fairly high, but nothing to be really worried about he said. They got my vitals and started my IV around 8:45. Then at 9:30 they came in and started my Pitocin. I was pretty comfortable for a while, but they continued turning up the Pitocin. Around 3pm, they checked me again and I was still at 2cms, which was pretty discouraging. She said that she had talked to the doctor and that he said that he would come in after he left the office and once my contractions were forming more of a regular pattern. She turned the Pitocin up again after we talked and the contractions started getting fairly regular and a bit stronger. The doctor came in around 5 and checked me, still at 2cms, and again, discouraged. Rylan was still pretty high up he said, and he was going to give me a little longer to progress. He came back around 7:30, and we talked for a bit about options and progress. When he examined me, I was at 2cms STILL. This time I just couldn't handle it and started crying. He told me my options: go home and let nature run its course, or try some Cervadil gel. I told him that if we had to do something that I would like to do the gel because I did not want to go home. He left, and came back about a half hour later with another OB, who runs a high risk practice and who is a surgeon. He said that he got Dr. Albers' opinion on things because he sees these things more than my doctor. Dr. Albers said that I wasn't going home, I had been on Pitocin for almost 12 hours, and my Protein screen was borderline toxemic and I had PIH. He was afraid if I went home, even on bedrest that I wouldn't make it back to the hospital in time. He told me that he was going to check me and see the baby's position and the position of the cord, and IF everything was ok and wouldn't complicate things, he would break my water. He checked everything and Rylan was pretty high up still, but the cord wasn't presenting first and everything looked ok. So he broke my water, and insert an internal monitor.

Next thing I know, my contractions are AWFUL! Coming about 1 ½ minutes apart and just off the charts. I contracted like this from about 7:45 to 9pm, the doctor came in and checked me and even after all that I still hadn't made any progress. I was completely discouraged by this time. But I was also in pain and getting sick because I was so tense and uncomfortable. The doctor discussed my options again! He had been asking me about an epidural all day, mostly to relax me, but until then I had been adamant about saying no. But this time, I just knew that I had to. He finally told me that an epidural would relax me enough to help things along, and that if the need for a c-section were to arise, I would be ready. I asked what my odds were for a c-section, and he looked right at me and said 'If you aren't dialated by midnight, we're doing one. I'd suggest an epidural now in order to save time later and to see if we can avoid that.' So, at 9:15, I got a shot of Nubane to hold me over until the anethisiologist could get back (he had been in to check on me once, got told no, and went home). The anerthisiologist finally got there, explained all the risks and the procedure and by 10, I had my epidural. They came in about an hour later and checked me! SUCCESS!!! I was dialated to 4cms, and he was lower. So my Doctor said that he'd be back around midnight to check on me, but if I needed him before that then to call!

Around 11:45, I was feeling some awful pressure! I kept saying 'I can feel that! What is that? It's like I have to poop!' (LOL) So my nurse checked me again, and said 'I'm going to let you start pushing. You're dialated enough and once we've pushed a little while, I'll call the doctor down.' So I started pushing! It felt like forever, and I kept saying that I couldn't do it anymore. I was tired, I had had a little bit of sleep earlier in the day, and a bit right after I got my epidural, plus, I hadn't had any food since breakfast that morning. I kept telling the doctor that I wanted him out, but I couldn't get him out. And finally, after about an hour of pushing, there he was!! He was born at 12:57am on May 2nd. He weighed 7 lbs. 7.8 ozs. and was 20.5 inches long, with the cutest head full of brown hair!

They laid him on my belly and he was a funny shade of blue… The cord was around his next and around his torso. They pulled it off his neck and then they started rubbing him, but he wasn't responding, and they kept doing it! and finally I heard him cry!! Mikey cut his cord, and then as they were cleaning him, he walked over to me and told me how proud he was of me and how much he loved me. He thanked me about a million and one times, and I just kept telling him that it was a 'team effort' and that I loved him too.

I fed him for the first time around 1:30, and he did SO well! He latched on right away and was just so happy and content. He slept pretty well that morning, and is doing so well on everything! He's eating & sleeping wonderfully, and he's just so quiet that I am waiting on him to start SCREAMING at any moment! LOL[/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search