Sarah Beth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2006 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just found this board, so I hope it is ok that I join so late. Here is our story...

My first time pregnant. I had done everything "right" according to my mother (22 year labor and delivery nurse and International Childbirth Educators Association member for 25 years) and my doctors. Nonetheless on April 1st I found myself in the hospital 3 months early with severely high blood pressure and pains in my stomach. They discovered I had severe preeclampsia and put me on Mag right away. I was not going into labor, however, so they tried to see if the Mag would lower my blood pressure and resolve this problem. I lay in a dark quiet room in a very uncomforable bed for 3 days. On April 3rd at 8:00 the doctor said nothing was working and he was worried about Sarah Beth's health if she remained in me with that high of a blood pressure.

I was taken for a C-Section and Sarah Beth was born at 9:04 p.m. on April 3rd. She weighed 1lb. 10ozs. and was 13 inches long, but we heard her cry right away. The neonatologist brought her to me and let me kiss her head before they wisked her away to the NICU.

She spent 76 days in the NICU developing a very bad case of BPD. The neonatologists said they had never seen a baby with as bad lungs as her to live. But she did. She was sent home on oxygen and lasix and spent the next few months learning to breathe on her own. She finally came off the oxygen on October 5, 2006.

Now she is 19 months old, weighs 19lbs, is about 2 feet tall and is doing fantastic! She needs no more help from oxygen tanks to breathe. She's walking and running and keeping me on my toes. She loves to climb and get into everything she isn't supposed to. She's our miracle baby for sure!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
November 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i'm glad you shared your story, beth. she's such a beautiful little doll!

what does BPD stand for? (all i know is borderline personality, but i know that's not it... so many things share initials, ha!)

you've been through so much... all so intense. you're one strong mama, for sure! hugs, love, and sunshine to you. i'm so glad your little miracle pulled through so well~ from only a pound an a half! amazing!! my neice was born at 28 weeks, in 2003~ she weighed in at 2-8 and was also 13". such tiny little human beings. they're born fighters...
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

November 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Kaypea's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what a little fighter! so glad you shared your story, and that you have found our group

November 21st, 2007, 07:28 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry, I am more used to posting on premature sites where everyone knows the terms... BPD is Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia. It is inflamation and scarring of the lungs. It is caused by prolonged intubation (she was on the vent too long). The oxygen the vent forces into the lungs causes scarring. It makes the babies need more oxygen. Becomes a huge catch 22 because they need to get off the vent but can't because the vent is making them need it more. The effects now are just that she takes longer to get over any common respiratory thing (like a cough) than most babies and it can develop into something much worse a lot quicker. She also tends to get out of breath quicker if she runs or plays hard than most babies. As she grows, the lung tissue will grow too. The scarring will always be there, but it won't matter as new lung tissue grows around it and the BPD won't matter anymore. Probably by the time she is 2 and a half or 3 we won't ever know she had anything wrong at all.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
November 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
thanks for clearing that up. i'm so glad that it's something that will basically take care of itself! what a lucky little girl. my neice was born with hydrocephaly, and still has a shunt in her head, and will need it longterm... you just want to hug them til next week, they are so innocent, and have been through so much in their short lives!!

what a sweet signature you have. kisses to sweet bryan. what a beautiful, perfect boy.

P.S. I'm so glad to see your post count going up. We love new members, it's so great to welcome another mama into our family, and get to know her, and her gorgeous family. Hope you too feel at home here on jm. It's been a godsend for me.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

November 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sarah Beth is certainly a STRONG Little girl....she's beautiful and welcome to JM!!!!!

MICHELE: Wife to Chris 04~02~04
Mom to Isabella 04~09~06 5lbs.6oz
& Christopher 09~04~08 4lbs. 5oz

December 1st, 2007, 03:24 AM
andrewsmommyNdrubieswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to andrewsmommyNdrubieswife
welcome to jm n ur daughter is beauitful..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search