Anyone going to cloth diaper?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I mentioned to my mom since I am a stay at home mommy and we have a washer and dryer in the house this time around.......i am going to cloth diaper as much as i can at home...and only use the disposable ones if we go out and stuff...and she got grossed out. I think she still thinks they use pins to cloth diaper...(lol) I tried explaining to her how it is different now and she still things diaper rash is more common and such.

I am new to the cloth diapering world, but I do want to learn and do it with this baby....sooo....who else is?

Once I get later into the pregnancy I know I am going to have a lot of questions, but I want to be as prepared as possible.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

May 6th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Me! We've cloth diapered our daughter since birth, and we'll definitely be doing it again. I've found it so much easier than I expected. I thought it would be an annoying, gross sacrifice, but it really hasn't been.

May 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran
I plan to too! I had no idea that cloth diapers had come so far until I started looking into it out of curiousity. I also plan to make as much baby food at home as I can.
May 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
I plan on it. As long as I can get to the end goal!!

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
May 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
We will be. I just started researching a couple of weeks ago!!

May 6th, 2012, 07:04 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
We did with my first, even without our own W/D. Our second has a lot of medical problems, though, and we had to weigh the diapers in the hospital, etc. We didn't have a working W/D within miles and miles of us, either, so we didn't do it with him. I'm not sure about this one! I'd love to say yes; I prefer it. But I also know that life gets in the way of other plans sometimes.
May 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cloth diaper and I LOVE it! I would never in a million years go back to 'sposies! It's really not hard or gross (at least not any grosser than disposables) and just this last year, we've saved over $1000 in diapers! We haven't had problems with diaper rash or anything like that, either. Love, love, LOVE cloth diapering!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
May 6th, 2012, 08:13 PM
mommyfirst11's Avatar Veteran
I am not but I may do some research on it
May 7th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Proud mommy!
I am seriously considering it. We did not with our first, but I would really like to! Like I told DH we could start buying the one size diapers and we could use them on our DD until she is potty trained.

May 7th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would like to. I did cloth part time with my first as I was working part time then. Im now a SAHM and our washer and dryer leave me little excuse. I'd love to do this time around if I can acquire enough in time.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
May 7th, 2012, 07:29 AM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I cloth diapered three of my four at least part of their time in diapers. My second was entirely cloth, with prefolds and pins. love love loved it!! my third and fourth, I started in cloth. both of them, though, I switched to sposies during a move. with my third, I didn't have a washer and dryer in the new place, and then he potty trained himself anyway. I don't have an excuse with my fourth, I just never got the cloth back out. it makes me angry every time I buy sposies. lol. oh well...I'm excited to break out my newbie stash again!

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
May 7th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love cloth diapering. I started with disposables with my first, but after a few massive blow outs and seeing how cute cloth diapers were, I made the switch. I actually found that my baby had less rashes with cloth and the diapers kept everything in (disposables sometimes leaked for us). I had planned to just do cloth part time but since they worked so much better I just stuck with it full time. I am excited to pull them out again.
May 7th, 2012, 09:25 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this makes me feel soo much better. thanks ladies. of course i do not want to get too much into research yet, since I want to make sure the pregnancy is ok and i do not want to jinx anything. i just hope this works out and i can really look into it.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

May 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
I see a lot of you saying you do cloth, can you give us a little advice? I'd also like to try and cloth and prepare my own baby food.

May 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What brands are you using? I have never used cloth diapers on my kids but I would love to try!

May 7th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I would love too but we don't have a washer and dryer. My sister cloth diapers and she said I could wash them in the sink but I'm not sure if I want to do that or not...I'm considering it so I may buy a few and if it works out fine then buy more.
May 7th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I cloth diaper now and also prefer it as does my in home daycare. My daycare is limited to 2 bags of trash a week and diapers would take up one of them.

I wash diapers every other day. I do one wash in cold with no soap, one wash in hot with rock n green soap, and then another wash in cold with no soap. Most of the time I throw my diapers in the dryer since I work outside the home and don't have time to line dry them except on the weekend.

I have a Bum Genius diaper sprayer hooked to the toilet for straying off solids. You do not have to do this with breastfed babies until they begin eating solids. BM poop washing 100% and is water soluable.

I use wash rags as wipes.

Let me just state for the record that *fluff* can get addictive. I have close to 80 diapers for 1 child in cloth and that doesn't even count my size smalls or my fitted diapers with covers. Here are the brands I currently use. I also listed the pros/cons for each for those that are curious.

Fuzzibunz- I have the sized pocket ones. Pro: They are easy to stuff with a big opening. They aren't bulky since they are sized. Cons: You have to buy more as your child grows.

Bum Genius 3.0 pockets: These are some of my favorites right now. The Aplix(velco) makes changes fast with a toddler. Never had a leak. Grow with baby. Cons: DD can get them off if she isn't wearing pants since aplix closure.

Bum Genius Elementals: Very trim, no stuffing, organic, no stuffing of an insert. Cons: expensive, stain easy, Poo can get inbeween the sewn in layers making them harder to spray clean, and take a little longer to dry.

Sunbaby: These have honestly been my favorite diaper as my daugher has gotten older. You can get size 1 or size 2. Cheap diaper. Size 1 fits my daughter awesome. They are more narrow in the legs. Cute patterns and new patterns are released often. Cons: They don't hold as much urine since the inserts are smaller due to the diaper being smaller.

Kawaii: Great for chunky baby with big legs, these worked the best for us when my daughter was around 6 months old. They also make a goodnight diaper that works awesome. Cons: the elastic seemed to loosen fairly quickly in some of mine, they are bulky and wide between the legs.

Baby Kangas pockets: They stuff from the outside which makes getting the insert out with a poopy diaper much easier. They are a snug diaper. cons, the elastic is pretty narrow so if you have a chunky baby they tend to leave red marks. These did not work well when my daughter was small, but now that she is a toddler with skinny legs they work awesome. I did have 1 zipper break on one of them making the diaper trash.

May 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I found that my preference in diapers changed as Quinn got older. I liked fitteds for a newborn and switched to OS pockets when she was 11-12lb. She's now outgrowing her OS diapers though, which is bad because she's 2 and not PLed yet.

Re: baby food, I planned to do that but ended up feeling better about Baby Led Weaning, where you don't give them purees but rather soft solids (steamed carrot sticks, stuff like that).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search