C-Section Questions....

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iamkc

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
First...has anyone here had a C-Section before?
What do they do for an Epidural if your spine is curved?
Do they offer conscious sedation for a C-Section if you're allergic to the Epidural?
If you've had a C-Section, how did it go for you?

If anyone has personal experience with any of these questions, please respond with your experience! Thanks.

July 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first son was a c-section. I had a spinal block. I'm not sure what they'd do with a curved spine, that's a good question for your doc.

I've never heard of conscious sedation for a section.... As far as I know, if an epidural or spinal block won't do, then you have to be put totally under.

I did not like my c-section, i had a long painful recovery, I didn't get to see my son for 6 hrs afterwards, they sedated me until I went to sleep afterwards without my knowing they would do that, and I remained groggy for a long time afterwards. I feel like it interfered with my initial bonding, and with Breastfeeding.

Subsequent pregnancies and births have been more complicated because of my prior c-section. But even if you have repeat c-sections afterward your risks go up with the repeats because of the scar tissue.

Not trying to be Debbie downer.... I had to have my c-section, my son was in a crazy breech position, but that is my experience. I felt cheated. I know some c-sections are life saving and very necessary, and I'm thankful that there is that option for those circumstances.

and introducing Julia Pearl
July 10th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you do not mind me answering. I am a Feb DDC member but lurk here often since it would not shock me if I had a Jan baby.

I agree with the PP. I also had a necessary csection due to a whole bag of complications (water broke 6 weeks early, bad breech presentation with one foot out and one up by her head along with high blood pressure bordering pre-e). I actually healed very quickly. I was in recovery for an hour and then got to see my baby (though she was in the NICU so I did not get to hold her). I had my csection at 8:30 am and by 5 pm was walking down the hallway to the NICU to see my baby.

I do agree that I think it messed up my bonding and breastfeeding and that is really the only part I am sad about (though it may have been exasperated by the fact that my DD was in the NICU on oxygen so I could not hold her right away, only touch her).

Overall I do not regret my csection as I have a healthy child and I think it was needed in my situation. I oddly do often feel judged by other women (not anyone on these boards) since there seems to be a stigma that people have csection for convenience though in my case that is not true.

July 10th, 2012, 08:38 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i had a c-section because my doctor asked me if i wanted induced with my son on my due date....being my first and not knowing any better i said yes....i ended up having a c-section because i feel the pictocin and everything just was too strong and things went crazy. i feel cheated, that is why i am going v-bac this time.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

July 10th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravado View Post
I hope you do not mind me answering. I am a Feb DDC member but lurk here often since it would not shock me if I had a Jan baby.

I agree with the PP. I also had a necessary csection due to a whole bag of complications (water broke 6 weeks early, bad breech presentation with one foot out and one up by her head along with high blood pressure bordering pre-e). I actually healed very quickly. I was in recovery for an hour and then got to see my baby (though she was in the NICU so I did not get to hold her). I had my csection at 8:30 am and by 5 pm was walking down the hallway to the NICU to see my baby.

I do agree that I think it messed up my bonding and breastfeeding and that is really the only part I am sad about (though it may have been exasperated by the fact that my DD was in the NICU on oxygen so I could not hold her right away, only touch her).

Overall I do not regret my csection as I have a healthy child and I think it was needed in my situation. I oddly do often feel judged by other women (not anyone on these boards) since there seems to be a stigma that people have csection for convenience though in my case that is not true.
How strange, that was very similar to my circumstances! Aidan was 6 weeks early, water broke, breech with his legs split like that!

July 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I don't have any advice, since I've not had this experience, but I'm glad those that do are chiming in!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
July 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtapolapocet View Post
First...has anyone here had a C-Section before?
What do they do for an Epidural if your spine is curved?
Do they offer conscious sedation for a C-Section if you're allergic to the Epidural?
If you've had a C-Section, how did it go for you?

If anyone has personal experience with any of these questions, please respond with your experience! Thanks.
Not to be a nosy noodle but are you having a c-section with this pregnancy or are you just worried about it? i find myself worrying about this a lot. I have had three successful vaginal births but you never know when baby will do a spin move at the last minute and become breech or for any other reason.

July 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
How strange, that was very similar to my circumstances! Aidan was 6 weeks early, water broke, breech with his legs split like that!
That is crazy! You were able to have a VBAC next time around then? That gives me hope since that is what I am hoping for.

July 10th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravado View Post
That is crazy! You were able to have a VBAC next time around then? That gives me hope since that is what I am hoping for.
Yep, sure did. Full term hospital VBAC at 40w2d. PM me anytime to chat about it. I know it can be nerve wracking!

July 11th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey_619 View Post
Not to be a nosy noodle but are you having a c-section with this pregnancy or are you just worried about it? i find myself worrying about this a lot. I have had three successful vaginal births but you never know when baby will do a spin move at the last minute and become breech or for any other reason.

I'm not worried about having a C-Section, but I am going to speak to my doctor about that as an option. I have a lot of health issues and overall it would be easier on my body to recover from a surgery than the aftermath of natural birth.

Not only do I have a heart issue, I have a VERY severe case of Fibromyalgia and a chemical sensitivity to medications. Which puts me in a huge mess with the entire birthing process. I cannot risk having a severe reaction to an epidural during birth, natural childbirth has been found as a contributing factor to a major Fibromyalgia flare up during and after the birth (which leads to the woman being unable to care for or bond with her child). Those are three of the major issues I need to discuss with my physician. It is as I told my husband, I would honestly rather have a natural birth, but I don't see it happening with all of the physical maladies I have. Nothing would be worse than attempting a natural birth and something going horribly wrong and then having to try to undergo a c-section. Then after it's all over, being forced to recover from the entire ordeal. It's better to cut to the chase and take the path of least resistance. Recovering from surgery is something I have done before, I am willing to endure that again if it means sparing myself extra stress and agony and thus causing extra trauma to the baby.

July 11th, 2012, 04:43 AM
JennyBaby2013's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First...has anyone here had a C-Section before? I've had 3 c/s's.

What do they do for an Epidural if your spine is curved? Not sure what they do if your spine is curved.

Do they offer conscious sedation for a C-Section if you're allergic to the Epidural? I never heard of that but I can't say for sure. I had 1 spinal and 2 epidurals w/my c/s's.

If you've had a C-Section, how did it go for you? All 3 of mine were pretty smooth. I threw up w/my first on the operating table and that was honestly the worst part for me for that one. The second my doctor was more interested in talking about current events w/coworkers then letting me know where we were in the process so it seemed agonizingly long, plus I disliked that hospital and staff VERY much. My third they gave me something called alphamorph in my epidural (some kind of morphine to help w/pain for after) and it made me itch like mad! My dh and the nurse kept wiping my nose/face with a cloth b/c it itched soooo bad. After that c/s I wound up scratching up half my face lol.

Those were my crappy experiences during, which weren't bad at all. For my last 2 I stressed to the doctors that I feared puking on the OR table. So they were always there w/anti nausea meds to insert in my iv if needed. I have to talk to them about that alphamorph stuff this time b/c I'd like to avoid the itches.

My recoveries were easy-peasy and I'm hoping that this time goes just as well. I was always up and walking within 12 hours (which helps recover). I was always sore for a couple of weeks after but nothing horrible. I couldn't sleep on my stomach/side for a month or so.

Overall my experiences were pretty good but I've also heard horror stories w/c-sections. I'm crossing everything that my experience this time goes just as smooth!
Jacob (10) Matthew (7) Paige (5)
& Liliana (0)

Liliana Eve 1/14/13 ~ 8lbs 2oz and 19"

July 11th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am one of the very few allergic to all locals, so no epidural for me unless they happen to have a fentynal based one handy.

Should I require an emerg c-section they will have to knock me out.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
July 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I also have severe fibro, along with a nice, long list of other maladies. My first was completely natural. I loved it. I DID have 2 days of not being able to sleep much because my nerves were so raw, and I was so sore, but my hospital had someone trained in all types of massage. Normally, massages KILL me, but there's a fibro-specific one that she did that helped me. My regular OB wouldn't have let me go through natural childbirth, but NOT because of my illnesses. She was tiny, and she thought that any baby over 7 lbs was too big to birth naturally. *sigh* The docs who actually were there during delivery were extremely supportive of my decision. Before everything started, I did have a consult with the anesthesiologist just in case. I've had issues with anesthesia, so we discussed everything ahead of time.

DS2 was an emergency c-section. I had a terrible experience. I feel like I shouldn't tell you too much because I'm assuming that my experience was not normal. I would go for natural 100%. I recovered quickly (even with the flare), and I was able to bond with DS1 immediately. With my c-section, DS2 did go to NICU, but even if he hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to see him for quite a while. It took 2 years for me to recover from my c-section. My OB now was shocked by my whole experience, and apparently, I look "butchered". I know that I do. Unfortunately, my hopes for a VBAC are pretty much shattered. 1) The hospital where I will have to have this one doesn't allow them. 2) My own bodily complications from DS2 have made doctors nervous about letting me deliver naturally again, for the baby's sake and for mine. If I were staying here, they might allow me to be monitored a lot and try it. But that's not the case elsewhere.

Like I said, I'm not going to tell you too much because I know that my experience wasn't normal. Still, without complications, if I'd had a smooth c-section, I'd still choose natural over c-section. Have you talked to your doctor about your options with fibro? I found that the shower and bath at the hospital during labor really helped me. Being allowed to move the way I wanted to helped. And being allowed to push in whatever position I wanted helped. The massage and heat/ice packs after helped as well.

As for the epidural, I didn't have one with natural, but with the c-section, of course, I had to. I have a slight curve, and it was no trouble for them. I know several women with scoliosis who have had no trouble. OCCASIONALLY they might have to try twice, but an experienced anesthesiologist (and they all should be) will be able to deal with any instance in any situation. If it makes you feel better, speak to a couple of them at the hospital. Someone should be willing to sit and explain everything to you!
Angel.Eyes4351 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search