Pregnancy Brain?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Xtapolapocet
  • 1 Post By d_tops

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Dee
I'm a little flaky on a good day, but lately I've been losing words and forgetting important things, with shocking regularity. Is pregnancy brain a real thing, or just something we use to excuse ourselves when we flake out?

Today for example, I completely spaced on the name of my regular midwife, which is weird. And tonight I left the oven on, with potatoes in it, for about an hour after they were done.

What about you? Pregnancy brain much? Is this a real thing, or a mythical invention by the flakier among us?
July 10th, 2012, 07:20 PM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh shesh....that is some preggo brain if I have ever heard of it. I am about like you...a little cooky on a good day! HA...I am sure it will hit me here pretty soon.

July 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I don't even know what I do/say, but DH is always muttering "preggo brain"

Totally!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
July 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Super Mommy
Totally a real thing!! People have told me they've done studies. (of course they could have been just trying to make me feel better but I choose to believe them. )

When I was pregnant with Nathaniel I was constantly doing dorky things like putting milk in the cupboard
instead of the fridge, forgetting where I put things or where I was going. (seriously I got lost in my own house a few times because I couldn't remember what I was doing between one room and another. )
It's not as bad for me this time so far but it's still early.
~Mother of Miracles

July 11th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Normally my mouth moves faster than my brain works and I cause a good laugh now and then..the one DH doesn't let me forget is when we were dating I came to visit him in Germany and asked " Do you have google " while sitting at his computer. but now i'm starting to misplace everything..I go grab a bottle of water and then start doing something else, go sit down and go huh where's my bottle of water and have to go on a man hunt..my favorite is walking into a room and then going wait why did I come in here, what was I supposed to do....I had to stand in the bathroom for 5 minutes to figure out what I needed playing 20 questions..
July 11th, 2012, 12:39 AM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Absolutely real. I keep "missing" things that I would normally "get" in a second. Just little jokes or references. OR not even little jokes. It's like my brain is simply too tired to process anything but what is needed for survival sometimes. For instance, an e-card on Facebook says something like, "We should start a store called 'Forever 39'. We can sell wine and yoga pants." I got SO excited and started to Google where this nothing-but-wine-and-yoga-pants store was. And then I realized what I was doing and laughed at myself. Poor DH. Hahahaha

July 11th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_tops View Post
I'm a little flaky on a good day, but lately I've been losing words and forgetting important things, with shocking regularity. Is pregnancy brain a real thing, or just something we use to excuse ourselves when we flake out?

Today for example, I completely spaced on the name of my regular midwife, which is weird. And tonight I left the oven on, with potatoes in it, for about an hour after they were done.

What about you? Pregnancy brain much? Is this a real thing, or a mythical invention by the flakier among us?
There was a scientific study about the effects of pregnancy on the brain. The results? It's a myth. There is no evidence to support that "pregnancy brain" really exists.

In a recent studies in both the U.K. and Australia have found that the brain capacity and function is not notably reduced during pregnancy. Which means a woman is no more likely to forget during pregnancy than she would at other times in her life. One of the issues cited is that we expect our brains to function perfectly, even at a time (like pregnancy) when our minds are going in a million different directions.

There are several factors cited as being a contributing factor to the myth...they include:
Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Lack of Sleep and even the expectation that you will be forgetful. This often contributes to a heightened awareness when it occurs. Another factor is the influx of hormones, which help these issues to be more pronounced than normal in pregnant bodies.

If you think you're more forgetful than you should be and you believe there may be an underlying cause, you might want to speak to your doctor and try to determine what is causing the issue for you.

A few tips suggested with the research is as follows:
  • Go to bed and wake up around the same time daily. Routines will condition you for sleep and make it easier to get a restful sleep.
  • Give yourself plenty of time to wind down. Listen to soothing music, read a book or take a warm bath. Whatever helps you relax. It is good for the mind and body.
  • Make sure you're getting ample natural light. If you work in an office or a building where artificial light is constant. Take a break and step outside or go near a window. It is refreshing and good for the brain!
  • Eat dinner no closer than three hours before you go to bed.
  • If you feel tired during the day, take a nap! Keep the nap restricted to 20 or 30 minutes. If you want to sleep longer, you must commit to a non-interrupted 90-100 minute sleep session where you are not interrupted during non-REM sleep. This would make you less alert and groggy throughout the rest of the day.

I hope this information helps you!!!
d_tops likes this.

July 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM
JennyBaby2013's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get more flaky while preggo too.

One time when I was preggo w/Paige I cooked a small chicken for dinner. When it was done I was really frustrated b/c I couldn't carve much meat off of it. I decided it was a dud and we wound up eating mashed taters and stove top for dinner instead that night.

After dinner, DH went and brought the plates into the kitchen and started laughing hysterically. I was like what? He was like "hunny I know why there wasn't much meat on the chicken" and I was like "why?" and he said "because you cooked it upside down".... LOL DUH! I didn't think to flip it over and check the other side.

That had to be my biggest preggo brain moment
Jacob (10) Matthew (7) Paige (5)
& Liliana (0)

Liliana Eve 1/14/13 ~ 8lbs 2oz and 19"

July 11th, 2012, 06:58 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get baby brain super bad. My DH thinks it's hilarious. Sometimes he also thinks I'm making it up, I just threaten to kick him in the nuts when he says that and he shuts up.

July 11th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Dee
I think I feel a little better that at least I'm not the only one losing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkc View Post
"We should start a store called 'Forever 39'. We can sell wine and yoga pants."
I was telling a friend that I didn't want to be a yoga pants mommy, but then I realized, I wear them all the time! I was wearing them while I was telling her this. I am already this person. Wine would make me feel better about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Sue8 View Post
now i'm starting to misplace everything..I go grab a bottle of water and then start doing something else, go sit down and go huh where's my bottle of water and have to go on a man hunt...
This, too! I should get one of those sashes or hip carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joellejello View Post
My DH thinks it's hilarious.
Oh, I don't know if "hilarious" is how I'm feeling about it. Repeatedly losing my water bottle is pretty funny. Oven on? Much less funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtapolapocet View Post
There are several factors cited as being a contributing factor to the myth...they include: Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Lack of Sleep and even the expectation that you will be forgetful. This often contributes to a heightened awareness when it occurs. Another factor is the influx of hormones, which help these issues to be more pronounced than normal in pregnant bodies.
Very informative, and makes so much sense. I am definitely more stressed and anxious (not all pregnancy related), and I am getting a LOT less sleep (mostly because I keep having to get up to pee every few hours!). It would definitely account for additional flakiness. And I do believe that once we expect to see something, we see it more often, this happens in all sorts of ways (e.g., once you teach children what bullying is and how to prevent/report it, children report more bullying, not because it's increased, but because they can identify it and have learned how to report it). Yay for science!
Xtapolapocet likes this.
July 11th, 2012, 05:47 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i've found that my reflexes are better, my reaction time has improved, and that i remember things more easily (as in, where i've put something, or times and dates).

...that said, when it comes to the *routine things i do every day* i've gotten very spacey. for example, i finished my shower the other day and was half dressed before i realized i didn't wash the conditioner out of my hair.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search