Questions for daycare providers

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamiesquared

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
This is one thing that's making me feeling like a total noob.

Are there any standard questions i should have to ask potential daycare providers? Any unstandard i should keep in mind?

September 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'll just answer my own questions! This website had a lot of valuable information, including interview questions!!

September 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Pregnant with #2
  • What is the infant/caregiver ratio?
  • How often are there diapers changed?
  • Are the infants fed on your schedule or do they try to force a schedule?
  • Are they sleeping in a shared crib (this is more if the infant isnt going full time)?
  • Where do the babies spend most of their time at the youngest age and as they get older? This is important because some daycares use rockers/bouncers/swings/jumpers a LOT. My sons daycare does not allow those items in the infant room...they are mostly held, worn in a carrier, rocked in arms in a rocking chair, tummy time mats etc. rather than containment
These are just off the top of my head
mal91011 likes this.

September 12th, 2012, 10:22 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I obviously have no experience, but ^ those all sound like great questions to ask!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiesquared View Post
This is important because some daycares use rockers/bouncers/swings/jumpers a LOT. My sons daycare does not allow those items in the infant room...they are mostly held, worn in a carrier, rocked in arms in a rocking chair, tummy time mats etc. rather than containment

These are just off the top of my head
Yes! That's one i hadn't really thought of. Thanks!!

September 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Always ask what their discipline policy is. Even though they are babies now some providers will actually tell you that they spank ( not the infants) and I am appalled. I thought that was against the law but I guess some of them don't care. I am not saying it is right or wrong for a parent to spank it is their choice and I do not want to open a can of worms here but totally wrong for a daycare provider to do.
I would also get a background check on them. You can get them without their ssn# as long as you have the address and first and last name. I would also background check anyone in the home (if that's the route you choose). I went through some awful experiences with my son Jaden I learned a lot. There are some awesome daycare providers out there and there are a lot of bad ones.
I would also ask for references or numbers of parents that used to have their kids there. You will get a more honest opinion..

September 12th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Pregnant with #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post
Yes! That's one i hadn't really thought of. Thanks!!
NP. I am trying to think of others
  • How do they handle food allergies as food is introduced?
  • If you are cloth diapering, ask what they do for that. Some places rinse for you other places just bag it up for you.

Before I go into more details, do you have an idea of whether you are leaning towards a daycare center OR an in-home daycare?

September 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiesquared View Post
Before I go into more details, do you have an idea of whether you are leaning towards a daycare center OR an in-home daycare?
The person i'm contacting today is an in home provider. In my neighborhood, highly recommended by some of my neighbors and also a coworker. And i know for a fact she only accepts one infant at a time.

September 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Pregnant with #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post
The person i'm contacting today is an in home provider. In my neighborhood, highly recommended by some of my neighbors and also a coworker. And i know for a fact she only accepts one infant at a time.
Ok. Definitely background check, check out court records that are public for her name, ask to talk to previous parents etc. Ask about the age difference in kids since she only will take on infant she must have older kids too and I agree on her discipline methods...since your baby will be watching all the time

What is her vacation policies/personal time off (someone I know has a sitter who gets 5.5 weeks in total off per year and she pays for it!), what happens if she is sick, what if you want to take a vacation whats the policy for you and payment, can you change up your days if you arent going to have the baby there full time.

September 13th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Dee
Great thread, some things I hadn't thought of before!

Something I learned about last night - there are two levels of background check. One is in-state only, and another will go through criminal records in all states, so it may be worth asking (especially at a daycare center) which version they do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search