will anyone not be getting the glucose test?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamiesquared
  • 1 Post By .Nikki.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2012, 10:41 AM
rjae84's Avatar Veteran
I just don't want it. No great excuse but I hate needles and I don't want to deal with them again right now. Last time I gave blood I fainted.. luckily SO was there to help with DS but he's not around so much anymore.... so.. I'm thinking about refusing. Im sure I'm fine anyhow... sigh. Anyone else?

And I'm not quite sure how to refuse.. LOL. The optional screenings were no big deal but isn't this one kind of a mandatory test?

September 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
As far as I know, most doctors are gonna throw a big stink if you refuse it. Every doctor is different of course.

I did consider asking if I could just monitor my glucose levels instead, simply because I hate that nasty drink, but that doesn't help much with the needles aspect. I think it's important to be checked out one way or another, since GD can have serious health consequences for you and your baby. I don't want to do it either though.

September 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Pregnant with #2
I dont like to get blood drawn either but I would never skip this test personally. It can cause serious health issues for both mom and baby....that is not a risk I would take.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

September 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Meh. I've thought about opting out. Almost all tests are optional through my midwife's office. I usually have low blood sugar, so I'm not too concerned.

I will probably end up doing it, just to be absolutely sure. I don't have to like it, though!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 12th, 2012, 11:01 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you really hate needles, I would see if there is another way you could monitor it or at least tell them some of the issues you have had with giving blood in the past so they can find a way to make it a more comfortable experience for you. I'm not look forward to the test, but it doesn't sound like one you should opt out of because of the intervention that is needed to prevent the potential gestational diabetes from getting out of control.

Of course talk to your Dr. but I would do it!

September 12th, 2012, 11:27 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I am doing it for sure, but I don't have a choice since I'm high risk. But I agree, talk to your doctor about your challenges with blood draws, and see if there is an alternative!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran
Not doing it.... Lol. I have access to glucose meters and urine screening and I will periodically check myself just to monitor my sugar levels. This is my third pregnancy and 4th baby and I did great with the other pregnancies. This time I have only gained 6 or 7 pounds so far so I am take measures to eat healthy and stay active....

September 12th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will do it because I'm not allowed to deliver at the birth center if I don't.

September 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My last appointment they gave me the juice to take home and drink before I got back again in October. It is gross, but Im big on getting any test that can help detect a problem early on to nip it in the butt before it causes any damage. Maybe you can just have someone come with you to the test in case something happens? I vote for you getting the test!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
September 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Momma Bella's Avatar Veteran
I would prefer not to. I've heard about how horrible the drink is and ugh. I gag at the thought of it. I will end up doing it, but until then I am dreading it.
September 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't want to because I'm at the other end of the spectrum with low blood sugar, and they are making me do the 3 hour glucose test right away which really scares me because if my blood sugar drops to low I hit the floor. I'm glad it's first thing in the morning. I can manage not eating after 10 pm, but i'm going to be starving by the time the test is over.
September 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not doing it. I question the validity of the test, and of the numbers used to interpret it. also, the glucola makes me puke.
I do check my blood sugar periodically myself. if you're ok with a few finger sticks rather than a needle, that could be an option.
you can refuse any test, for any reason. That's your legal right. however, your Dr does have the legal option of dropping you if he considers your refusal to be dangerous, just as a heads up.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (12), Selene (8), Garvin (6), Gwen (3), Thomas (21m), and a bonus surprise, due 29 June 2015
September 13th, 2012, 05:48 PM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't know about you ladies but I drank that stuff like it was some fruit punch...ugh, meaning I loved it. HA I also DESPISE having my blood taken, but the guy who does the labs at my ob office is a pro and I have never felt it. I am going to take the test...

September 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL Wendy!! I've NEVER heard anyone say they liked it before. That's hilarious. I wish I liked it! If only it had a little carbonation.

September 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
totally skipping it....wasnt going to because my doc would like me to get it, but i had gastric bypass and cannot handle more than 15 grams of sugar and being prego no more that 5......50-75 first off would never stay down and i think i would be sick for days (not kidding) my doctor said lots of ppl with GB take the test, but i dont believe it.....

also.....you will have symptoms of GD's if you get it....I know lots of people that passed the test w/flying colors and then came down with it....im not sweating it one bit.
Ahari likes this.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

September 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikki. View Post
also.....you will have symptoms of GD's if you get it
What are the symptoms?

September 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
some of the most common symptoms are increased thirst and urination, increased appetite combined with weight loss, nausea, fatigue, blurry vision and frequent infections....i hear a lot of women swell in the ankles too

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

September 13th, 2012, 08:32 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
This is one test I would not refuse. I feel it is very important for the baby's health and mine as well. As much as I am dreading drinking that stuff I am going to do it. Maybe there is something you can ask to relieve the pain and fear of the needle.......good luck!! I have mine on the 27th......

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
September 13th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikki. View Post
totally skipping it....wasnt going to because my doc would like me to get it, but i had gastric bypass and cannot handle more than 15 grams of sugar and being prego no more that 5......50-75 first off would never stay down and i think i would be sick for days (not kidding) my doctor said lots of ppl with GB take the test, but i dont believe it.....

also.....you will have symptoms of GD's if you get it....I know lots of people that passed the test w/flying colors and then came down with it....im not sweating it one bit.
When did u have your surgery? Congrats to you! If you had GB u can't take the drink the others are talking about your Doc is wrong, they will either have u do the 2 or 3 hour test. I had the DS and I have to do the 2 hour testing where I fast and they take my blood, I go eat and come back in 2 hours and they take more blood.

O/T did you have children b4 your GB? I would love to chat with you, your the 1st Bariatric surgery person i have met on Just Mommies, I keep saying they need a board especially for those who get pregnant during that weight lost window you know the b4 18 month post op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjae84 View Post
I just don't want it. No great excuse but I hate needles and I don't want to deal with them again right now. Last time I gave blood I fainted.. luckily SO was there to help with DS but he's not around so much anymore.... so.. I'm thinking about refusing. Im sure I'm fine anyhow... sigh. Anyone else?

And I'm not quite sure how to refuse.. LOL. The optional screenings were no big deal but isn't this one kind of a mandatory test?
Hugs to you Rachel, I wish I lived near you bc I would go with you. I know how you feel about needles and fainting is NO JOKE. I would talk to your Dr and express your concerns, maybe there is an alternative to the blood work. I'm getting it done bc diabetes run in my family and I've already been a little lax in this pregnancy so i want to just try and get back on track.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search