Natural Childbirth

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By 1stbaby
  • 1 Post By Lintu
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 3 Post By Lucky Mama
  • 1 Post By Ahari
  • 2 Post By WENDYLL22
  • 3 Post By mistletoe
  • 2 Post By mojomama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I want to read up and research this. I am contemplating trying to have a natural childbirth this time and want to get as much info as possible.

For those of you that have given birth naturally, what were your greatest resources? Anything in particular you used to assist with your natural childbirth?
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

September 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hypnobabies program was great.
Read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth!

September 12th, 2012, 12:47 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I've also heard that Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth is wonderful!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anything by Ina May is amazing! We took Bradley classes and loved those! I think a lot of it for me was knowing all the mechanics of birth. That took the fear out of it and made it so I could be calm during the whole process. I think if I had just said, "Hey. Let's try it naturally this time." (like my mom did with her second), my experiences would not have been so positive (like my mom's bad experience with her second). That might just be me, though.

I also would recommend holding an ice cube in your hand while trying relaxation breathing or listen to a relaxation script. It starts to hurt like a mother and you get some idea of where you hold tension, what methods are best for relaxing for you. I also use migraines, stressful moments, and early, painful BH as opportunities to relax and practice. It can be good to research different positions for labor, too. When you aren't numb, you have a lot of options to make movement, counter-pressure, and gravity your friend!

Also, know all your options and what you are and are not comfortable with. A birth plan can be really helpful. Be sure your doc is onboard! Not just tolerant of your desire to try natural childirth, but supportive. The first OB i approached with my desire to have a natural birth as a first time mom, she actually laughed in my face and then said, "Well, you can TRY natural... Just don't hate yourself when you beg for the epidural." I switched doctors, needless to say (and never bagged for an epidural thank you very much).

If you are willing to shell out some cash, a doula can be an amazing resource duing labor! Doulas will know how to best help you cope with labor pains and can also advocate for you in the hospital (I'm assuming you are still going to deliver in the hosptial, right?).

Wow. Sorry to write a novel. Passionate about birth much, Brittney? If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to discuss them with you! Feel free to PM me. I have a lot of great websites for different birth resources, too.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 12th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I must of blacked out or astroplaned to another universe as I did nothing but take the pain. I had my Mom and a great Nurse who engaged me in great chat(I'm a talker) I guess also in the back of my mind I thought if I couldn't handle it I could get an epidural which when I finally got to that point it was way too late! BUT it really wasn't that bad than again I think I left my body. I was in labor for 18 hours and 1 hour of it I thought I was gonna die so I really do think I astroplaned seriously bc I am trying to figure out how the Hell did I survive natural childbirth so calmly and cool. I was laughing and making jokes. OH yeah, I was starving I hadn't eaten anything all day so I concentrated on my hungry a big part of labor lol.... This time, I'm not sure if I can be so free spirited and care free to do the natural route.

September 12th, 2012, 05:33 PM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great question. I can't tell you how many times a day this crosses my mind. It is a dream of mine to be able to get through labor and delivery and experience every single bit of it. Now don't get me wrong, I am a wimp...a big one. Stomach pains and Wendy just don't mix. I just feel like the first time around I was very well on my way after my water broke with making it to 10cm with no meds. I dilated very quickly and got the epidural at 6-7 and started pushing 15 minutes later, if that. I am going to be doing some hefty research here in the next few weeks and hope to get some perspective on this.
Lucky Mama and Sawyers_Mommy like this.

September 12th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the suggestion on the book. I am now in line for it at the library. Any good websites anyone cares to share?

What about hypnobabies? Anyone tried it?

I will still be delivering at a hospital with my regular doctor. They are all for natural childbirth though. The labor unit has a whirlpool tub and shower they allow you to use. They won't let you birth in it but you can labor there.

September 13th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I did Hypnobabies

September 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Yep, I did Hypnobabies
Did you do the self study or did you attend classes? I am so curious about hypnobabies!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
FTM here, so in the same boat.

I have from the library Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (McCutcheon) and The Official Lamaze Guide. The Bradley guide was really useful in its step-by-step description of the birth process (what goes on with your body and the baby). I'm amazed by the amount I am still learning about my own body. But I also like having different perspectives on the same theme to see what best fits my personality and needs. I will definitely be getting some Ina May Gaskin too. I read a profile of her and she seems such a perfect voice that I can relate to. I feel like if I could imagine her voice in my head during labor it will actually help me get through it.

Also, just recommended to me was a local prenatal yoga class. The yoga class itself offers a lot of physical (and mental -- relaxation) prep for labor, but the instructor also puts on a 3 hour birth preparation session for the mother to be and partner about two months before due date. For me, the yoga approach appeals because it's something I already have considerable experience with, which provides a secure footing for the rest of the unknown. But I've also been told by women who never tried it before how helpful it was during labor and delivery.
September 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
FTM and i'm also going to try nautral.

I've got a few books coming to me in the mail, including Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and a book on childbirth by Deepak Chopra - it was used for a buck!

I'd LOVE to be able to do hypnobabies, but it's way out of my budget if we're going to also do a doula. I've downloaded some labor meditation mp3s which i'll probably practice. I love meditating and would like to try to incorporate it into my childbirth.

September 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Dee
I'm a FTM mom, too, and nervous about but committed to natural childbirth. One of the things that has boosted my confidence has been reading and watching positive birth stories. Check out Youtube for some good hypnobirthing videos that show you how calm birth can potentially be. And while I don't bring up NCB in casual conversation, when it does happen, I change the subject whenever someone starts giving me the "you'll be begging for the epi" lecture. This has helped keep me focused on the positive aspects of natural childbirth rather than the fear I might have for childbirth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
I also would recommend holding an ice cube in your hand while trying relaxation breathing or listen to a relaxation script. It starts to hurt like a mother and you get some idea of where you hold tension, what methods are best for relaxing for you. I also use migraines, stressful moments, and early, painful BH as opportunities to relax and practice. It can be good to research different positions for labor, too. When you aren't numb, you have a lot of options to make movement, counter-pressure, and gravity your friend!
This is a great idea! I had terrible cramping experience several weeks ago - it lasted about 20 minutes - and the breathing techniques I've been practicing from Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method got me through it. I obviously don't want that again, but the ice cube trick is really clever for practice!
September 13th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
Did you do the self study or did you attend classes? I am so curious about hypnobabies!
Self-study. I did really well until I got in the car and had to ride to the birth center for 45 min at 10cm -- couldn't maintain the hypnosis through that!

September 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Birth stories! Ina Man's books are full of them for a reason: they are the best prep for doing it naturally. think about it- our ancestors did this for millennia without classes or books, and they learned to cope by hearing and seeing the birth stories of the women around them.
get both of her books, and use Google! hospital, home, birth center; assisted, unassisted- as long as it's a positive natural birth story, it can help. Some of them will sound amazing and some will sound totally unappealing to you, but you can learn from both. have fun reading!
Lucky Mama and d_tops like this.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (12), Selene (8), Garvin (6), Gwen (3), Thomas (21m), and a bonus surprise, due 29 June 2015
September 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomama View Post
Birth stories! Ina Man's books are full of them for a reason: they are the best prep for doing it naturally. think about it- our ancestors did this for millennia without classes or books, and they learned to cope by hearing and seeing the birth stories of the women around them.
get both of her books, and use Google! hospital, home, birth center; assisted, unassisted- as long as it's a positive natural birth story, it can help. Some of them will sound amazing and some will sound totally unappealing to you, but you can learn from both. have fun reading!
I agree! On both counts!

Birth used to be something that women learned about, heard about, and even witnessed, all through their
lives. Now, it seems like it's a strictly medical event. Most of us never give birth much thought until we are pregnant ourselves. As a teenager, I was at the home births of my two youngest siblings and it really opened my mind as to what childbirth is and can be.

Reading birth stories is great prep! I love a good birth story. They make me teary every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Self-study. I did really well until I got in the car and had to ride to the birth center for 45 min at 10cm -- couldn't maintain the hypnosis through that!
Ugh. Isn't the car ride in labor the worst? We had several railroad tracks to go over, too. It was miserable!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Lucky Mama; September 13th, 2012 at 05:50 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search