To Rh or Not to Rh

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Dhartanya
  • 2 Post By 1stbaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok so here is my dilemma. I found out at 7 weeks that I am O negative and since I didn't know what my DH was, they ordered the RH shot for me to take at 28 weeks and then after labor so that if the baby is O positive the bloods don't mix and all that jazz. They ordered it early so that in case I started spotting early, they could administer immediately.

Fast forward to my 12 week apt and I have found out that my DH is also O negative (sent him to red cross to give blood) and my in-laws are O negative and my SIL is O negative so we are one big negative family! I go to an office with rotating OB's and that OB said no need for the shot then.

BUT the shot came in and I got a ridiculous bill for it despite having awesome health insurance. (apparently it was because a deductible hadn't been reached). So, today when I was in the office for a check up from my hospital stay the OB who saw me said "you're getting the RH shot right?" And I replied no and stated why. He said "well if I were you, I would do it anyway."

And I'm like askgjagkjalkj what the french!? I can't return the shot or sell it to the dr's office so it's either I use it or I don't. I don't know if I can use it at 28 weeks and not order the one for after labor, but I don't get what the point is. Two negatives don't make a positive in this case! Also, the shot is really expensive and I don't want to shell out a couple hundred for something I don't think I need or don't understand why I need.

AHHHH any suggestions from you ladies? Has anyone been in this situation? Any questions that maybe I should ask my OB at my next visit to clarify? I am just such an anxious person to begin with that this conflicting advice did NOT help!!

September 12th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Popping in the from the Dec DDC
I dont believe you "need" the shot if hubby is Rh -

If thats the case I wouldnt use it.
Lucky Mama and MammaWannaBe like this.

September 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I believe negative blood is a recessive gene so if you are negative and so is your DH then baby will 100% of the time also be negative. Since you and baby share the recessive gene and do not have the rh factor the shot is not needed.
Lucky Mama and MammaWannaBe like this.

September 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I am also O- but I need the shot b/c DH is something else. But in your case, I would double check with your OB, but I *think* just like the others said that if DH is O- then you shouldn't need it?

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
I am also O- but I need the shot b/c DH is something else. But in your case, I would double check with your OB, but I *think* just like the others said that if DH is O- then you shouldn't need it?
see that's what I thought! I don't think o negative can be anything other than that and it's weird that one OB didn't think I needed it and another thought I should have it.

I think the OB who wants me to have it is more concerned with the "how are you SURE that there was no mistake and that he's definitely O negative." I mean my DH got it done through the red cross and got a card with his blood type on it, so I'm not really sure what the margin of error is there especially with both of his parents being o negative.

Ah I so had this figured out until my OB today threw me through a loop.

September 12th, 2012, 06:15 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If he is O- and you are O- then there is no way baby can be anything but O- because they are both recessive genes No need for the shot

September 13th, 2012, 07:04 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you're sure you're both negative, then you shouldn't need the shot.

(darn my DH for being positive!)

September 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the PPs. From what I understand, if he is O- and so are you, there's no need for the shot.

If you're still worried, would your hubby be open to getting a blood test to be sure? Or maybe his PCP would have the info on file you can double check and put your mind at ease?

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
I agree with the PPs. From what I understand, if he is O- and so are you, there's no need for the shot.

If you're still worried, would your hubby be open to getting a blood test to be sure? Or maybe his PCP would have the info on file you can double check and put your mind at ease?
I thought of that but not only did they call him but sent him a card in the mail with the info. How can both of those be wrong?! lol

September 13th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Dee
I'm O- and DH is A+. He also found out through a Red Cross donation, and got the card, and I'm relying on that to continue with Rhogam shots. Personally, I would not get the shots if they were not necessary.

It sounds like the justification, based on your previous posts, is that you already paid for it? If that's the case, perhaps you can "donate" it to someone else through your doctor's office? Rhogam is Rhogam is Rhogam. The only difference is if it's a minishot (which I received for spotting very early in pregnancy) or a full shot, which is probably what you ordered. I would look into that. You may be out the money - I doubt they could advocate for you selling it to someone else since it's medicine - but it's not like it's sitting in your fridge at home and you might have tampered with it.

I hope you can figure out a solution that you're comfortable with!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search