A couple of things I HATE that people have said since being pregnant....

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Hoping4bby
  • 2 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By mamaginger
  • 2 Post By Jules_loves_beaches
  • 1 Post By swaddlestar
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 1 Post By nursingmama
  • 2 Post By MommaTooters

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I absolutely hate the fact that people say "wow you are big"..."that's going to be a BIG baby", (especially when these comments come from men without children) "you're big for how far a long you are."

Really? Can you please just SHUT UP! I hate that other people tell me that, they don't know how big I should be...just because I'm not as small as you were or your friend was ...is it a bad thing? Shouldn't the baby be growing? Shouldn't I be showing?? I am nearly 6 months!!! When am I supposed to "appropriately show" at 9 months?? COME ON!! And honestly when I look at websites and our site to compare bellies I don't think mine is big at all!! It's not small but it looks just like everyone elses! Grrrrrr

The second thing I hate is when people ask me "so how much weight have you gained so far?" Really is that appropriate to ask me? When is it ever appropriate to ask someone about their weight!! Plus even if I do tell you it's going to be a BIG FAT lie! I always round down...lol they probably wonder why it takes me so long to answer...it's because im thinking of a FAKE number!! I was ok about it in the beginning I guess because I hadn't gained much weight but lately I am feeling self concious about it and just really would rather not hear comments about it...and I don't think that I look like I gained a ton...but one of my clients said "oh you have gained some weight so far?" I said some??? (trying to joke) ..then I said I have gained alot and he said "yes you I can see" Lol grrrrrrrr
WENDYLL22 and Jay Chrysalis like this.

September 13th, 2012, 05:51 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Yup, totally agree with you on all of these. My dog's eye surgeon even said "wow, big baby!" when she found out I was "only" 5 months along! Didn't really bother me, because she is so sweet, but ya, that would drive me crazy. And who, in ANY situation, pregnant or not, asks another woman how much they have gained!!??
MammaWannaBe and Hoping4bby like this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, that's one reason I haven't worn any tighter shirts yet. I really like how I look in a fitted or stretchy shirt, but I only wear them around the house because they REALLY accentuate the belly, and I don't want any comments.

It's so hard to believe the things that people say to pregnant women! I would flip a lid if somebody said either of those things to me.
Hoping4bby likes this.

September 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
All of these comments well almost all of them are from people at work. So it's kinda hard for me to say anything, and when I do I usually try to make a joke out of it and tell them it's not polite to ask for my weight, and that I should be showing for 5 months! It just gets old when I have to hear it everyday!! AND I don't wear the tight fitted shirts. Today I was wearing a dress that I thought covered the bump really well it was a size Large and I usually wear a small, but nope they still said it!

September 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah a man saw me the other day with my husband and said "you're right...she IS getting big!". Thanks dude....
Hoping4bby likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 13th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Expecting #1
Oh Im sorry you have to deal with this at work. Some people just don't have a filter . I'm sure you look like a perfectly healthy pregnant woman
WENDYLL22 and Hoping4bby like this.

September 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
I hate this too. There is one particular woman at work that said this all thru my last pregnancy and she's said it a few times already this pregnancy. The one I hate is when she looks at me and says, "Are you sure the ultrasound only showed one baby!"

If she didn't do the payroll I swear I would her!!
Hoping4bby likes this.

September 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think people are just dumb and don't know what to say to pregnant women. Also everyone carries differently and sometimes the dr can't even tell if it will be a big baby.

The weirdest thing I keep having happen is people rubbing and kissing my belly (luckily its people I know but it's so bizarre lol)
Hoping4bby likes this.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
September 13th, 2012, 09:44 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
omg i would never answer a question about my weight! I am extremely self conscious about my weight and that is an absurdly rude question. People are so annoying how "big" you are or how much you show has no bearing on the size of the baby. There are people who start showing really early and are huge by the end of their pregnancy but have perfectly healthy 6lb babies and then there are people who dont even start showing until 7/8 months and are tiny but have very big babies.
Hoping4bby likes this.

September 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, people! These are the ones I love...

~So what pregnancy is this for you? When I say my fifth they say, 'you do know what causes that, right?' NO Sherlock, I sure don't...!

~Are you hoping for a girl this time?

~When are you stopping?

~ Wow, you're carrying pretty low. Are you sure you aren't further along than you think?

I could go on, really, but I'll save some for later!
MammaWannaBe and mrzvvz like this.

September 13th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow...some people have said some pretty stupid things! I feel for you...all of you.

So far I haven't had anyone say anything that stupid to me (although I will probably be eating my words now that I have stated that), but today at the baby registry the lady did ask me how much I weighed because she said "Wow you're small!" when I told her how far along I was. That's been it, and I wasn't insulted by it.

September 14th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The pizza delivery guy asked "What, they didnt put a zipper in after the 3rd one"

Mykelti James 01.21.13
September 14th, 2012, 06:18 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4bby View Post
I absolutely hate the fact that people say "wow you are big"..."that's going to be a BIG baby", (especially when these comments come from men without children) "you're big for how far a long you are."

Really? Can you please just SHUT UP! I hate that other people tell me that, they don't know how big I should be...just because I'm not as small as you were or your friend was ...is it a bad thing? Shouldn't the baby be growing? Shouldn't I be showing?? I am nearly 6 months!!! When am I supposed to "appropriately show" at 9 months?? COME ON!! And honestly when I look at websites and our site to compare bellies I don't think mine is big at all!! It's not small but it looks just like everyone elses! Grrrrrr
Ps, looking at the belly pics, your picture is stunning. Seriously you have the cutest bump. To me it is a perfectly normal sized bump and once again your height, if you are long and short waisted, and how you carry all comes into play. My mom barely looked pregnant with me but with my brother she had a huge belly. It just depends.

You look fantastic though so show that belly with pride and the next time someone asks what you've gained ask them how much weight they have gained in the past 6 months while rubbing their belly. That'll get them to shut it up real fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post
The pizza delivery guy asked "What, they didnt put a zipper in after the 3rd one"
NOOOO. OMG! Tell me you didnt' tip him

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
September 14th, 2012, 06:29 AM
rjae84's Avatar Veteran
LOL.
At work I know they're just trying to be nice but there are like four ladies who ask me daily "have you fed that baby today? Do u want some of my lunch?" Sigh. Do they no see my belly? Does it not look like we eat!? It gets on my nerves. I simply don't want to eat a lot here!

And people often say to me "u don't look pregnant" uhm OK? So I guess I usually walk around with a watermelon in my belly?!?! How rude! I look very pregnant actually! I think.

And why do people bend down to talk to ur belly when they aren talking to YOU about your pregnancy?

September 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had only one obnoxious comment: "Were you trying?" (And haven't heard from her since...She seemed kind of pissed about it.)

This may be ironic to mention on a pregnancy board, but I find that having to endure EVERY.SINGLE.MOTHER'S opinions, experiences and suggestions at any kind of social event tiresome. Unlike these boards it seems the real world doesn't quite get that each mother is different (and if I didn't ask, I don't really want your opinion). The only nice thing I heard that resonated with me at a recent dinner came from a non-mom.
September 14th, 2012, 09:14 AM
rageybug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post

*spit coffee all over keyboard* omg.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search