Delayed Cord Cutting

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Lucky Mama
  • 1 Post By ajones24
  • 1 Post By mojomama
  • 1 Post By Jamiesquared

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
I'm just hearing about this subject and have been doing some research on it. So far there are numerous benefits to delaying and no risks that I have found. But I like to hear real peoples opinions on it.

So whos doing it? Anyone against it?

September 17th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do delayed cord cutting. I see no reason not to take our time and let the baby get all the blood she needs from it. That blood contains red and white cells, plus stem cells and disease and cancer-fighting T-cells.

When my youngest was born, it took her a minute to breathe and pink up. She needed a few puffs of air to start breathing (my midwife likened it to getting the wind knocked out of you, but since you don't know how to breathe yet, you need help catching your first breath). Since she was still connected to me and placenta, there was a bit of a safety net for a few minutes, because she was still getting lots of oxygen rich blood from the still-attached placenta.

Some providers say it causes jaundice, but most studies I found actually found no link between delayed cord clamping and jaundice (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/he...ths-later.html).
ajones24 and Lil_Mama2B like this.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 17th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Here is a little video by Penny Simkin on delayed cord clamping. It's pretty interesting.
The Benefits of Delayed Cord Clamping

Also, be sure that your doctor doesn't milk the cord (forcing blood into the baby manually by, well, milking the cord)! Milking the cord is not good...

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 17th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We did it with a couple of my kids. YDDS placenta looked odd, there was some webbing and looked like there were 3 attachement points...just really weird. My Dr cut it right away. He said he had never seen anything like it.

I wish I had gotten a picture.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
September 17th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Dee
I've read a lot of positive things about delayed clamping, but we plan to donate the cord blood.

A friend of mine has a 5 year old daughter with a rare condition whose life was saved by the stem cells in cord blood donated by a stranger, so it's a cause close to my heart.
September 17th, 2012, 09:28 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I have heard of this, but we haven't talked about it yet. I think we are still on the fence whether to bank or not, or to donate or to delay. There are all great options out there, but we haven't decided yet.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We usually donate. I think delaying is a great thing, I just seem to have issues during labor and I always end up at that point where I don't want to ask for anything else out of the ordinary, so I don't.

September 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
rageybug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've read a lot about the benefits but truly, things never seem to work out in my favour so I'd rather just do what's common at the hospital and get on with life BAU.
September 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i honestly havent done any research on this so i am clueless, but it sounds interesting. i might have to look into it, but as of right now...no plans for doing it.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

September 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM
TTC # 5
Totally for delaying!

Brittany, your research is awesome! Penny Simkin is amazing! Most of my Doula stuff is based off her.
Lucky Mama likes this.

Thank you Leanne78 for my beautiful siggy!
September 17th, 2012, 05:14 PM
doxiemom24's Avatar Veteran
I've heard a few things about this & I'm interested. Is this something you talk to your OB about beforehand? Write in a birth plan? I'll have a scheduled c-section, so not sure if it would be an option?

September 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never even heard of that??

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

September 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I REALLY want to delay, but haven't talked to my OB yet. The way my insurance works is that I won't know my doctor until I deliver. It could be one of 4, all of whom I'll meet, but it depends on who is on call. We'll see!
September 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I've asked for it at all my births, but it only really happened at one. my first three were cut in two minutes or less, but my fourth stayed attached to her placenta for about three hours. Britainy mentioned it has been linked to increased jaundice, but my fourth was the least jaundiced by a long shot.
Also, people where too icked out by the still-attached placenta to want to hold baby #4, so only dh and I held her in those first hours. that was the best :-) I'm totally leaving this baby attached for a few hours.
Lucky Mama likes this.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
September 18th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiemom24 View Post
I've heard a few things about this & I'm interested. Is this something you talk to your OB about beforehand? Write in a birth plan? I'll have a scheduled c-section, so not sure if it would be an option?
Yeah. You would want to tell your doctor about your wishes before the big day. Writing it into a birth plan couldn't hurt, either. There are mixed feelings about delayed cord clamping after a c-section, but it can be done. I would definitively talk to your doctor to see where he stands on the issue. Here is one study I found, but you can find tons of info online:
http://academicobgyn.com/2009/12/03/...in-obstetrics/
And one more:
http://www.cordclamp.org/Birth%20Bra...jury%20PUB.pdf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomama View Post
I've asked for it at all my births, but it only really happened at one. my first three were cut in two minutes or less, but my fourth stayed attached to her placenta for about three hours. Britainy mentioned it has been linked to increased jaundice, but my fourth was the least jaundiced by a long shot.
Also, people where too icked out by the still-attached placenta to want to hold baby #4, so only dh and I held her in those first hours. that was the best :-) I'm totally leaving this baby attached for a few hours.
Actually, I mentioned that some people think there is a link between jaundice and delayed cord clamping, but there are studies that show that there doesn't seem to be a correlation.

Our last was also attached to her placenta for about 2 hours afterward. That is just how my midwife does it and at first it seemed weird to me, but it was really not a big deal at all.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Lucky Mama; September 18th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
September 19th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Pregnant with #2
A local parenting resource has a webinar tonight on this very topic...figured I would post for you guys

Does Cord Clamp Timing Really Matter? Dr. Greene Explains. | Parenting Starts Here
Lil_Mama2B likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM
New Mommy
I am very interested in delaying! So many pros, no heard of cons! So many decisions to make! Interested in seeing what everyone decides!

September 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never thought of this! Definitely interested and think given more info may be something we do. Signed up for the webinar tonight to see what's said! Thanks for the info ladies!

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

September 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
Very good resources! Thank you both for those. DH and I talked about it and he agreed that theres no reason not to! so I'm definately going to request that it be delayed after reading everything.

Brittany...your like our DDC encylopedia! lol you always have so much information on every subject thats posted, always interested in reading your posts. Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search