What will you not buy used?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Dee
From a stranger on CL or at a yard sale I mean? I don't mean from a friend where you know how well it's been cared for.

I'm up for most things used - clothing, crib, carrier, etc.

I won't buy the carseat used, because even if the person seems nice, you don't have a Carfax on a carseat, and that's not worth the risk to me.

I won't buy a mattress used - I wouldn't do that for me or for baby. Used pack-n-play would be awesome, but I'd get a new mattress. (I have had used mattresses before, there's a time in life where a soft place to land far outweighs the origins/history of the soft place, but since circumstances have changed for the better, this is something I will get new.)

And that leads me to the reason I thought of this - is a used Boppy a lot like a used mattress? I saw one on Craig's List today and thought that was a good deal and in my town, but I wasn't sure if a Boppy is the sort of thing you want to get from a stranger... even if it has a cover.

What about you? What wouldn't you get used, even if it were a steal?
September 17th, 2012, 09:51 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Personally, I won't buy a carseat, crib, or crib mattress used. I also might not consider a used baby wearer.

I never thought of a used Boppy, though! To your point, I might consider it in the same boat as a mattress, even if you did replace the cover.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM
rageybug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only things I'll buy used are clothing and toys if they are washable....nothing with plush parts on it. Everything else I wouldn't want because that's just how I am. LOL
September 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
rjae84's Avatar Veteran
In my book a boppy is totally fine used!! I would not get mattress or car seat used. Everything else I think I would

September 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran
I think that I'm up for just about anything used. Granted, it's a little different if you know who they are coming from vs. strangers. We got a used crib, mattress, changing pad, highchair and car seat from someone we know personally, so I'm not stressed out about it. I'll buy clothes and things that can be washed from 2nd hand stores/craigslist, but like mentioned, you can wash it so no big deal. Ha ha ha, I think the only thing I WOULD NOT buy used are pacifiers/bottle nipples!
September 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would not buy a used carseat. I would not use used bottles or paci's.

I would use a used boppy. The plush part and the cover are both washable. I bought my boppy at a mom 2 mom sale with 2 covers all for $5 in like new condition. I washed all of it in my washer on normal wash with no issues.

September 17th, 2012, 10:35 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Things I wouldn't buy used...

Crib
Mattress
Pack and Play (ONLY BECAUSE WE ARE USING THIS AS A CRIB THIS TIME AROUND)
Car Seat
Boppy (the thought of someone else's breast milk or kids puke in that stuffing creeps me out, even though you can wash them)

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

September 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Being that I am a germ-a-phobe hypocondriac, I would not buy anything used from strangers. I would only accept things from family members used, other than that its all new for me. I wish I could buy things used though without worrying, it would save a lot of money!!!
mommysc2 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
September 17th, 2012, 11:02 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I am exactly like SaraSmiles......I buy everything new in the store unless it was from my other kids or close family members.......I am the biggest germ freak out there!!
SaraSmiles and Jmcorso like this.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
September 17th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Pregnant with #2
Cribs, carseats, mattresses, anything that is plush like stuffed animals or a boppy, any toys that cant be sanitized very well, pacis, bottles, and sippy cups.

September 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM
JennyBaby2013's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't buy a used carseat. My bff handed one down to us and I have to check the dates and if it's still in the timeframe I'll use it if the cover washes up well. I know it hasn't been in any accidents and was well cared for. I wouldn't get one off a stranger though.

I wouldn't buy a used mattress or bassinet padding. The bassinet however if in good condition I'd buy.

I wouldn't buy/use used nipples/pacifiers/bottles or a breast pump. If a bff or family member handed down a breast pump I'd reconsider if I could replace the tubes etc but I would not buy one from someone I didn't know personally.

I was SOOO lucky to have my bff hand me down most of the baby stuff we need. Out of everything I might have to replace the carseat/carriage combo. I hadn't had a chance to look into it yet/clean it but I will soon. I also need to open up the pack and play and see if I need to replace that. I got to get on top of that stuff!

I'm not sure on the boppy. Personally I think it would still skeeve me a out a little BUT if it was in excellent condition than I might not mind as it's washable.

When I was a FTM I was a needed all brand new stuff snob. EVERY thing had to be new. I don't know why but the thought of used anything weirded me out. As time went on that sure changed - thank goodness! Now I've learned that you can get really good deals on like new stuff and save SOOOO much money. Between that and always looking out for coupons/codes for new stuff I save so much. I don't like paying full price for anything.
Jamiesquared likes this.
Jacob (10) Matthew (7) Paige (5)
& Liliana (0)

Liliana Eve 1/14/13 ~ 8lbs 2oz and 19"

Last edited by JennyBaby2013; September 17th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
September 17th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I won't buy a used carseat, mattress, pack 'n play, etc. Other than that, if it can be washed I probably would. I'll probably buy a boppy new instead of used . . but I have washed a boppy in the washing machine before so I might consider it if a new one would really hurt the wallet. It just icks me out a little because I know how messy ours got . . kids spitting up on them, spilling things, etc.

September 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i forgot, i do have something for baby that i got at a "free yard sale" the one church does by us every year, people donate things and its all free you just go and take what you want. I got this awesome play thing...one the baby stands in and turns and plays in....i know it is around $70ish new....and it pretty much looked new just could tell it was in a garage and needs scrubbing...which my mom has already taken apart and bleached and cleaned...its like brand new! Im psyched over it!

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

September 18th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
From a stranger....I WOULD get clothes, bibs, recieving blankets etc.

I woudlnt get Strollers, Carseats, Cribs, Pack and Plays etc....anything I cant see inside of and dont have any idea how well put together it was.

SHOES!!!!

I would never buy used shoes. I used to ALL the time.. But since my YDD required AFOS we have spoken to many a orthotist and they all say used shoes are horrible for growing kids. I had NO idea.

Dance shoes are fine Thank God. But the shoes conforms to the foot of the original user, esp if they go barefoot or are sweaty. They create their own inprint and its very hard to rebreak in a shoe.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
September 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post
I would never buy used shoes. I used to ALL the time.. But since my YDD required AFOS we have spoken to many a orthotist and they all say used shoes are horrible for growing kids. I had NO idea.

Dance shoes are fine Thank God. But the shoes conforms to the foot of the original user, esp if they go barefoot or are sweaty. They create their own inprint and its very hard to rebreak in a shoe.
I hadn't thought of that before!
September 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Pregnant with #2
Good call Briar! I would also never buy used shoes for myself or my children. I also do not buy cheap shoes for my son as feet are very important and unsupportive, properly fit shoes are terrible for kids as they grow.

September 18th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto on the shoes. I used to buy cheaper shoes, but then my mom bought me some skechers and I couldn't believe the difference in how my feet feel, so now I buy us all good shoes.

September 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Veteran
ANything that could have any type of bodily fluids and cant be thourougly washed is most likely off limits for me.....
September 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ewww, bodily fluids. I am so easily grossed out these days, lol.

I'm more scared that the person I'm buying something used from will turn out to be a crazy craigslist serial killer or something.

September 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A car seat.

I did buy a used crib mattress but we're really good friends with the people we bought it from.
.Nikki. likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search