Mommy and Daddy Vaccines?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marybeth76

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 05:49 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my SIL emailed me about something about brought up TDAP vaccines that my DH and me would have before I give birth.... And I didn't know what she was talking about lol. I know it prevents things like whoopin cough but when are you supposed to get it? Is this something the OB gives you? What about your DH?

Seriously does this pregnancy come with a manual? What to Expect did not clue me in to this shot.

Anyone know well anything about this TDAP business?

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
September 17th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think this is something that OB's have been doing recently because of all the pertussis outbreaks. I am really undecided on what to do. I know I've heard some people's doctors have recommended waiting until the 3rd trimester, and that just makes me wonder if it could potentially be dangerous to my unborn child, ya know? Plus, we don't vax the kids so they haven't had it either, but it's one of the least effective vaccines and I really hate to put it into their bodies when it has such a low efficacy rate. I just don't know what to do!
Xtapolapocet likes this.

September 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I don't know about timing and whatnot, but when my SIL was about to give birth, she asked that anyone who would come in contact with their newborn get the TDAP vaccine. So, DH and I are already vaccinated, but I have heard different things about what doctors recommend as far as timing. Some might say now, some during 3rd, some after birth. For sure ask your OB!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 18th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Pregnant with #2
In the Northeast there is somewhat of a breakout of whooping cough...it was a couple hundred cases in Maine but last night they reported on the news that there are a handful of cases in NH now too. My OB this time did recommend my husband and I get the TDAP in the third trimester time frame. My hish risk doctor two years ago never even mentioned a booster to me which is interesting. The issues of whooping cough is scary to me and we will most certainly be getting it. I believe the way it works is if you have not had it within the last 5 yrs they recommend you get it as a booster if you will be around infants.

September 18th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got mine before I got pregnant thankfully. There has been some outbreaks here in Indiana too.

September 18th, 2012, 06:54 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are also in a high outbreak area. Since it can be lethal to infants, I will be vaccinated (DH was by coincidence last year). And I will also be having her vaccinated at the appropriate intervals with boosters. But I was given the option to get the vaccination after delivery, which I will.
September 18th, 2012, 07:01 AM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
My OB told us it was good for 10 years. Also said to have anyone who will come into contact with baby to have it too. With having January babies there's going to be a lot going around. We both got ours in 2008 so we're set.

September 18th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My niece almost died of this when she was a few weeks old.

I will be getting the vax. Idont know exactly when, I will have to talk to the OB next appt?

Mykelti James 01.21.13
September 18th, 2012, 07:33 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like I should just ask my OB next apt and go from there. I have no idea if I had this shot or not recently. I'm sure it's in some chart somewhere and I'm all up to date on my vaccines but I haven't heard of that one. Definitely going to make sure my DH and mom get it though since they will be most in contact with the baby.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
September 18th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Expecting #1 & 2
I got a tetanus shot last year and they told me the whooping cough vaccine was mixed in with the tetanus shot. If you recently had the tetanus shot, I would inquire if the whooping cough was mixed in because you may have already been vaccinated for it.

My twin girls are prayer buddies for Sarah Faith and Leah Hope.
Please keep them in your prayers.

September 18th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth76 View Post
I think this is something that OB's have been doing recently because of all the pertussis outbreaks. I am really undecided on what to do. I know I've heard some people's doctors have recommended waiting until the 3rd trimester, and that just makes me wonder if it could potentially be dangerous to my unborn child, ya know? Plus, we don't vax the kids so they haven't had it either, but it's one of the least effective vaccines and I really hate to put it into their bodies when it has such a low efficacy rate. I just don't know what to do!
This is my feeling about it, too. We've had plenty of outbreaks around here, so it's on my mind, but the vaccine is not great (compared to other preventive vaccines available). That said, I agree that it is very, very serious, and we'll be discussing it with our health care providers.
September 18th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Pregnant with #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiMimi View Post
I got a tetanus shot last year and they told me the whooping cough vaccine was mixed in with the tetanus shot. If you recently had the tetanus shot, I would inquire if the whooping cough was mixed in because you may have already been vaccinated for it.
Just be sure when asking that they are clear whether you got the td shot or the DtAP as the td is what is often given when you have an issue requiring a tetanus shot rather than the full DtAP with pertussis.

September 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Expecting #1
I was put in the hospital when I was a baby after receiving this vaccine, so all my life its been listed as an allergy for me. My OB did suggest DH get the vaccine though. She didn't mention family members, but I know my SIL asked that everyone coming to see my nephew last year (he was born in December 2011) get the vaccine before coming into contact with the baby.

She said she normally brings this up when you get to around week 30, but I had asked some questions about some recent testing so we were on the subject.

September 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Host of March '10 PR
I got the TDAP (tetanus shot) in May. I was around 6 weeks pregnant. I had gotten bit by a dog and the Dr who stitched me up strongly urged me to get it and said it was safe for pregnant women. I called my OB and she told me it was fine too.. So I got it. I'm still a little nervous about it bc I know they generally reccomend waiting til the 3rd trimester. But that's for those getting the vaccine as a preventative, not those needing it in more of an emergency situation after injury. I guess the benefits outweighed the risks. Still, I'm not feeling so great about it but not much I can do now
DH is in the military so I'm guessing he's up-to-date on his TDAP, but as it gets closer I'll have him double check.
September 18th, 2012, 11:43 AM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am up to date on all my vaccines because i work in a hospital but DH hates needles and refuses to get the vaccine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search