Cord Blood

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By d_tops

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2012, 02:29 PM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
Is anyone paying to have theirs saved at a private blood bank? What providers have you decided for/against?

I'm not even sure where to start on this! I really think I want to do it, but DH isn't totally on board yet. At a minimum, I will donate.
September 18th, 2012, 05:50 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
We haven't discussed this yet, but we got a lot of information from my OB about this. I would def ask your doctor for information, they should have some to offer you!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 19th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Pregnant with #2
I did not bank my sons cord blood and the primary reason is that a lot of the research I did at the time showed that the chances of using it were so small maybe 1/5000 if I remember right. The cost of storage did not merit it in my opinion. Also the chance of using it for another family members were slim as well. I did donate his cord blood though.

This time around there is a sign in my doctors office saying all local cord blood banks are full and they are not accepting donations at this time. I thought that was really interesting! I live in Boston and I go to Mass General so it isnt like I am at a small type of hospital?

September 19th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Wow! I was just reading that sometimes the cord blood can have the same defect you are trying to use it to cure, and then becomes unhelpful. I'm so afraid of the regret if I don't save it, and then do need it.
September 19th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Pregnant with #2
Yes, I also read that too! Thats why I was more of a fan of donating because the chances it could help someone else were much higher.

September 19th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamermarie View Post
Wow! I was just reading that sometimes the cord blood can have the same defect you are trying to use it to cure, and then becomes unhelpful. I'm so afraid of the regret if I don't save it, and then do need it.
I've read that, too. So, to me, it makes more sense to donate it, and then hope that if there were a need there were donated cord blood that would work for us.

Jamie - Not accepting donations? That hadn't occurred to me, I'm glad you mentioned it.
September 19th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I've spend my morning doing research on donating and there are no public banks that serve my state, according to marrow.org. I'm still trying to find one to see if that is an option. You are supposed to contact them before your 3rd trimester so they can get all the materials to you. I'll also talk to my doctor on Friday to see if they are even willing to do collection.
September 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Pregnant with #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_tops View Post
Jamie - Not accepting donations? That hadn't occurred to me, I'm glad you mentioned it.
I still find it a bit odd. It was on a cardstock 3D card thing on the desk and I forgot to mention it to the dr when she came back from reviewing the US. I have an appt. on Monday and plan to ask her for more details.

September 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamermarie View Post
You are supposed to contact them before your 3rd trimester so they can get all the materials to you.
Good point. I hope you can find some information for what will work in your area. I know that it's still hit or miss even in some big city and teaching hospitals as to whether they have the ability to take a donation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiesquared View Post
I still find it a bit odd. It was on a cardstock 3D card thing on the desk and I forgot to mention it to the dr when she came back from reviewing the US. I have an appt. on Monday and plan to ask her for more details.
If you think of it, would you mind posting an update or PMing me about it? If it's all area donations, I'd be interested in that, and my next appointment isn't until October. Thanks.
Jamiesquared likes this.
September 20th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks everyone! Anyone know anyone who has ever needed their own cord blood?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search