WDYT of...

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By *Mommy2Remington*
  • 1 Post By marybeth76

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Naming your child after a fictional character in pop culture, whether it be a book/movie/song/tv show/or something else?

What would your guidelines be for this? Are some things ok, but not others?

Some examples:

Would Scarlett be ok (as in O'Hara) but not Dora (as in the Explorer)?
Is using the name Dorian a no-go because the Oscar Wilde character was not a good man?
Is Bruce Smith acceptable, but not Bruce Wayne Smith?

What are your thoughts?
September 19th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Dee
I know a family who named their children after various Tolkein characters, and those kids are awesome.

I think it's okay if the character exhibits values and traits that you'd hope your child would have, even with their struggles, a character your kid could look up to, similar to choosing a relative to honor by naming your child after him or her.
I also think it should be a name that will stand the test of age... not just a cute kid's name, but a good adult name, too.
And I think you need to be able to help your kid handle any teasing they'll get, which is true of any name, but I think the fictional character perspective gives kids a whole new set of material.
September 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think if you like the name and all the baggage that comes with it anything is exceptable. I really don't think it matters where a name comes from as long as the parents love it and want to use it.

September 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think if you like a name, use it.

September 19th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Host of March '10 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth76 View Post
I think if you like a name, use it.
I agree. Nowadays, nothing seems off limits. I think everyone differs with what they relate different names to. One person may say, "Whoa you named your kid after Dora the Explorer?!" another may say, "Dora the who?"
As with any name... whether its Jennifer or Oprah, some people name simply because they like the name, others have reasoning or 'dedication' behind the name. I think it just comes down to personal preference and whatever floats your boat
September 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is ok, you just might want to think about the character, it's popularity, and some of its traits. For example, I love LOVE Les Miserables but I could never name a child Eponine. She has some killer songs but she is a poor beggar who ends up dying. Not the greatest baggage to carry around.

But then their are names like Harper (to kill a mockingbird) and her heroine, Scout, and those names are sometimes used and linked to a fantastic piece of American Lit.

I say go for it, just know that people may link it to a certain book or song and make sure you are ok with said book or song!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
September 19th, 2012, 01:36 PM
*Mommy2Remington*'s Avatar ~MommyTo2~
Well....we are naming our little princes "Phiona" ...and yes, after the princess in Shrek. We heard of the name while watching Shrek of course and just fell in love with it..many years ago. Its since stuck with us and we've always loved it! We get the " ....after Fiona in Shrek?" question all the time and we proudly say "Yea! Why not!?!?"
MammaWannaBe likes this.
September 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My bff's little girl is named Fiona (not after Shrek though, they just liked the name) and my hubby always calls her Princess Fiona, lol.
*Mommy2Remington* likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always loved getting names from my favorite movies, songs and books. I think it is awesome!

September 19th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by topato View Post
Naming your child after a fictional character in pop culture, whether it be a book/movie/song/tv show/or something else?

What would your guidelines be for this? Are some things ok, but not others?

Some examples:

Would Scarlett be ok (as in O'Hara) but not Dora (as in the Explorer)?
Is using the name Dorian a no-go because the Oscar Wilde character was not a good man?
Is Bruce Smith acceptable, but not Bruce Wayne Smith?

What are your thoughts?
I'm with everyone else...if you love the name, why not?

I'm a GWTW fan myself and I have always thought Katie Scarlett was a pretty name. Of course you know she went by Scarlett, so most people don't know the first name of that character anyway. Hehe

That could be an advantage, if you went that route.

It's so hard coming up with a good name! Good luck and let us know if you opt for a fictional character and whom you chose.

September 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I think if you like a name, use it!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 20th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think if you love it, go for it. I had a baby in my daycare class named Rocky Apollo Ray. He was a little bruiser, but so cute!

and introducing Julia Pearl
September 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel.Eyes4351 View Post
I think if you love it, go for it. I had a baby in my daycare class named Rocky Apollo Ray. He was a little bruiser, but so cute!
My BIL is pushing for us to name a boy Rocky! I know he would love it if we threw Apollo in there for good measure.
September 20th, 2012, 07:39 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, if you like it, use it. the way I see it, pretty much every name has been used in a movie or a book at some point, so why not?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search