Soft egg yolk

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Louise85
  • 2 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By 1stbaby
  • 1 Post By MommaTooters
  • 3 Post By Lucky Mama
  • 1 Post By mistletoe
  • 1 Post By Scootermom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Super Mommy
I am craving eggs for supper but I really want sunny side up so I can dip my toast in the runny yolk! How bad is this to do when pregnant? It's all I can think about!
September 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Veteran
I've heard people say youre not supposed to do it, but to be very honest I have my eggs over easy/medium at least once a week. I'll be interested to see what everyone says on this.
missadie222 likes this.
September 19th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Gross lol runny eggs gross me out haha

I think if its only a one in a while thing it won't hurt. I still eat raw cookie dough when I make cookies, did with my last pregnancy too, but ppl say your not supposed to
Lacey_619 and nursingmama like this.
September 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The risk of contamination of your eggs is extremely, extremely rare these days. From a professor at Penn State: "eggs have not been a significant food-safety risk in recent years." In the last twenty or so years quality assurance steps were dramatically improved to reduce this chance.

I started off diligent with scrambled eggs, but they are just not as good. So I now cook the egg yolk maybe a little more than I typically would, but otherwise just go for it with nice sunny side up or easy-over. But I also love eggs enough to make this exception. I also will eat a bit of aged raw-milk cheese from a known producer for the same reason.

Plus eggs are super good for me and my growing baby.
September 19th, 2012, 05:49 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
This is the one thing I have missed most during pregnancy, I LOVE my eggs over medium!

I know that the main concern is the risk of salmonella. While the risk is pretty darn low, it's more that pregnant women are supposedly more susceptible.

I have been VERY tempted to just splurge one of these weekends. I really don't know if I can hold out for another 20 weeks!
missadie222 likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 19th, 2012, 06:14 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only reason they say not to is because it is technically uncooked which can possibly give you salmanela or however you spell it. I try to stay away from it only because I dont really like it all too much. But I really doubt one egg is going to get you sick imo.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
September 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I mean yeah technically we're supposed to avoid it because it's un(der)cooked, but I think with all the stuff they do to foods nowadays it's a really tiny risk. I'd be ok taking a chance with it, but you have to decide for yourself!
Lacey_619 likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I still eat mine over easy. I eat pretty much everything I have heard to avoid such as lunchmeat.
missadie222 likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 08:14 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's the only way I ever eat mine! I call them dippy eggs! I've never avoided them while pregnant! But like somoene else said, you have to decide for yourself how you feel about it. Come to think of it, I've never had a dr or anyone tell me to avoid eggs over easy/medium!
mommysc2 likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Dee
I'm still eating mine over easy when I cook them at home, they're local and I feel good about how they're sourced and handled. I don't usually eat eggs out much, anyway.

In general I'm pretty careful, and a lot of the stuff we're suppose to avoid is stuff I don't eat anyway (lunch meat, soft serve, etc... though I do miss unpasteurized cheese). Plus, the worst listeria outbreaks this summer have been from cantaloupe and onions, not on the "too avoid" list. So, I agree this is a personal choice, and I think you have to make a decision that won't make you worry too much.

What's okay when pregnant changes all the time, anyway. Before, you were supposed to avoid eggs altogether, and now the Brewer's diet says two a day!

Now I want an egg.
September 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Super Mommy
Just had them for lunch and they were delicious. I did cook them slightly longer and did over easy but still so good!
September 20th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Meh. I don't worry about it. I eat raw cookie dough when pregnant. From the research I did when I was pregnant with my first (granted this was 4+ years ago), it sounds like salmonella is not IN the eggs, but on the shell. The hazard is when the eggs are cracked and the whites or yoke come in contact with the outside of the shell or shell pieces.

I don't know if it would help to wash the outside of the eggs or not or just be really careful when cracking them. Either way, from what I read, the risk of catching salmonella from an egg is awfully low, even if it's slightly increased for us preggos.

I haven't allowed it to stop my from enjoying the occasional cookie dough binge.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 20th, 2012, 11:56 AM
New Mommy
Oops, i guess that never really crossed my mind that we werent supposed to eat them that way, yet i still have like once a week. Now thinking about eating them for dinner! Haha

September 21st, 2012, 05:55 AM
Pregnant with #2
I just ate an egg over medium for breakfast The salmonella risk is on the shell/outside...so just be wary if you drop shells in or anything! It is a decision only you can make though.

September 21st, 2012, 06:13 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just as a note, although Salmonella contamination is most likely (in its very rare occurrences) to affect the outside of the egg shell, if a chicken is infected with Salmonella it can affect its ovaries and thus the ovum, which turns into the egg substance before the shell is formed. Again, super, super, super rare. And I eat my eggs with slightly drippy yolks...mmmm....breakfast....happily, aware of this.
Lucky Mama likes this.
September 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistletoe View Post
Just as a note, although Salmonella contamination is most likely (in its very rare occurrences) to affect the outside of the egg shell, if a chicken is infected with Salmonella it can affect its ovaries and thus the ovum, which turns into the egg substance before the shell is formed. Again, super, super, super rare. And I eat my eggs with slightly drippy yolks...mmmm....breakfast....happily, aware of this.
I didn't know that! Kind of fascinating and good to know.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 21st, 2012, 11:35 AM
missadie222's Avatar Go Your Own Way mama2b
If you clean the shells off with alcohol before you crack them, that is ALMOST ALWAYS where the salmonella lies. I know because when I was TTC I used egg whites once, and I read that the inner of an egg is sterile! THe salmonella exists on the shell! But also, I eat my eggs basted, not runny runny, but a bit soft and a teensy bit runny, once a week or so. I also had a BAD BAD panic for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies the other night, and while I was making them I could NOT HELP but stick my finger in and eat some raw cookie dough.

I think it's fine. The chances are miniscule.

Vyvian Utah Everson Spark born January 10, 2013

September 21st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
Gross lol runny eggs gross me out haha

I think if its only a one in a while thing it won't hurt. I still eat raw cookie dough when I make cookies, did with my last pregnancy too, but ppl say your not supposed to
I'm with you! Runny eggs. I cannot think of anything worse! My husband knows my eggs need to be scrambled well and cooked to death!!!!!!!!!!
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

Mom to Ryan (11) and Ashley (4)
Expecting #3 January 9/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search