Perfecting my shortlist

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By d_tops

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 05:04 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
The name thing has been making me nuts. I know that we still have four or so months to worry about it, but i can't get hubby to take it seriously at all!! We've agreed on making a shortlist and waiting till we actually meet Spike before naming it, but creating shortlist with him is like pulling teeth!!

So, i decided tonight to work on perfecting my shortlist and widdled my list down from 30 girl names and 15 boy names to six of each. Here's what i came up with:

Girl
Alice
Ilsa
Vera
Vivianne
Cecelia
Coraline

Boy
Maximus
Ridley
Asher
Liam
Wyatt
Oscar

I'm sure it's bound to change if DH ever decides to give any input. He did suggest Cecelia, Ridley and Asher though, although he says he doesn't remember suggesting them and isn't sure how he feels about them now. He is such a PITA.

September 19th, 2012, 05:16 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I honest-to-goodness love all of them!
mal91011 likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 19th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Veteran
Alice & Ridley are my faves. When DH and I were discussing names it used to drive me up the freaking wall when I'd be throwing out names and he'd retort with some ridiculous name. Good luck!

September 19th, 2012, 06:11 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post
The name thing has been making me nuts. I know that we still have four or so months to worry about it, but i can't get hubby to take it seriously at all!! We've agreed on making a shortlist and waiting till we actually meet Spike before naming it, but creating shortlist with him is like pulling teeth!!

So, i decided tonight to work on perfecting my shortlist and widdled my list down from 30 girl names and 15 boy names to six of each. Here's what i came up with:

Girl
Alice
Ilsa
Vera
Vivianne
Cecelia
Coraline

Boy
Maximus
Ridley
Asher
Liam
Wyatt
Oscar

I'm sure it's bound to change if DH ever decides to give any input. He did suggest Cecelia, Ridley and Asher though, although he says he doesn't remember suggesting them and isn't sure how he feels about them now. He is such a PITA.
Ok obviously in my dream world you would have a Vivianne and I would have my Vivienne and we would take over the world with Vivi power!

But seriously I do like all those names, but here are my top two.

Girl: Vivianne, Alice (I really am stuck on Alice for you guys)
Boy: Wyatt and Asher

Good luck girl! I know the name thing can be stressful. I am just impressed that you still have stayed true to Team Green! Impressive!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
September 19th, 2012, 08:19 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Girl
Alice
Ilsa
Vera
Vivianne
Cecelia
Coraline

Boy
Maximus
Ridley
Asher
Liam
Wyatt
Oscar

LOVE the names! I was going to try and tell you what my favorite are but gosh, they are all so cute! For boys, though, I really love Ridley, Asher, and Liam. Oscar is awesome too, but I think that one would really have to matter what kind of middle and last name you have!

September 20th, 2012, 05:59 AM
So when DH got home from kickboxing last night i handed him the list and told him i made a shortlist of my favorites. He looked it over and said "They're not bad names, but nothing sticks out to me. I'll think about it later." This man DOES NOT understand how much he is stressing me out by not wanting to even think about this!! I took the list from him and said "Fine, when it comes time i will be naming this baby with no help from you." Ugh!! He knows i'm a planner and not even discussing it is making me crazy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaney View Post
Alice & Ridley are my faves. When DH and I were discussing names it used to drive me up the freaking wall when I'd be throwing out names and he'd retort with some ridiculous name. Good luck!
Alice is by far my top name!! And other than the three that are on this list that my hubby picked, he's been throwing out awful names that make me just stare at him and debate whether or not i want to smack him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
Ok obviously in my dream world you would have a Vivianne and I would have my Vivienne and we would take over the world with Vivi power!

But seriously I do like all those names, but here are my top two.

Girl: Vivianne, Alice (I really am stuck on Alice for you guys)
Boy: Wyatt and Asher

Good luck girl! I know the name thing can be stressful. I am just impressed that you still have stayed true to Team Green! Impressive!
Vivis FTW!!!!!! I really don't think i can sell him on Vivianne. He does seem to be warming up to Alice though. Now watch this kid will come out a boy and we'll be screwed - we haven't been debating boys names at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post
LOVE the names! I was going to try and tell you what my favorite are but gosh, they are all so cute! For boys, though, I really love Ridley, Asher, and Liam. Oscar is awesome too, but I think that one would really have to matter what kind of middle and last name you have!
I like Oscar because i'm stuck on the nickname of Oz. And i LOVE Liam, but DH doesn't like how our last name sounds. It's a French last name, two syllables, starts with LeM....

Ridley is really starting to grow on me though.

Last edited by mal91011; September 20th, 2012 at 06:05 AM.
September 20th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Expecting #1
Are you going to try to narrow it down to one girl name and one boy name before baby gets here or keep a small list and decide once you meet him or her?

All the names are great and at least your list is a lot smaller now. Even if you went to the hospital with your list, once you have the baby your list will be narrowed down by 50% once your little one is here and you find out the gender

I know you want to narrow it down and be your planner self (I am exactly the same way), but you have time and your DH will probably come around in another month or so. At least he chimed in on not loving the name Liam because of your last name. It seems like you can't go wrong with any of the names you chose though, they are all great!

September 20th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Nope, i'm comfortable going into the delivery room with a list like this and waiting till we see the kiddo to decide on a name. My only fear is that DH will read this shortlist that i've created and decide that he hates everything on it. It'd be simpler if he would suggest names in seriously, rather than joking about everything!

September 20th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Girl
Alice
Ilsa
Vera
Vivianne
Cecelia
Coraline

Boy
Maximus
Ridley
Asher
Liam
Wyatt
Oscar

A lot of your girlnames are on our "short" list, too! I love Alice! Love, love, love!

My hubby is the same way. I bring up a name and he respopnds with some ridiculous suggestion. These silly husbands of ours. Don't they know these babies won't name themselves?!

Vivianne is one of my personal favorites, but it sounds too close to one of my other daughters names. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. It's gonna be so hard to wait until January to find out what you two decide on!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 20th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
A lot of your girlnames are on our "short" list, too! I love Alice! Love, love, love!

My hubby is the same way. I bring up a name and he respopnds with some ridiculous suggestion. These silly husbands of ours. Don't they know these babies won't name themselves?!

Vivianne is one of my personal favorites, but it sounds too close to one of my other daughters names. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. It's gonna be so hard to wait until January to find out what you two decide on!
I really hope he agrees to Alice. It was my great grandmothers name and my grandmothers middle name.

Pretty much all of my girls names are personal to me. Anne is my middle name and my grandmother first name, so that's where Vivianne comes from. Coraline is a throw back to my maiden name. Ok, i guess half of my girls names have personal meanings. Oh and Ilsa is from Casablanca - love that movie! None of the boys names have personal meaning to me.

September 20th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Dee
Cecilia is one of my favorite girl names ever, but honestly I think both lists are great. I hope your hubs is willing to discuss seriously for 5 minutes soon. (I have one like that and I love him, but it can be frustrating when you need a straight answer!)
mal91011 likes this.
September 20th, 2012, 01:08 PM
It makes me feel better knowing that i'm not the only one with a husband problem when it comes to names!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search