How much clothes does baby actually need?!?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SaraSmiles
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I was going through all the stuff I bought for the little one on the way, and I think I should be pretty good on outfits, but then my friend came over (also preggo due Jan as well) and told me that I need a lot more than what I got. At first I thought she was being cray cray (stolen from you guys haha) but then I started thinking....do I not have enough??

I bought about

10 onsies (all with print/designs etc)
10 pants
5 shirts
5 footie nighties
1 zip up hoodie (I just could not resist it lol)

all in size new born.

The only thing I was going to get was probably a few packs of solid onesies for the stay around the house days. And of course I would still pick up a few things here and there when I saw something cute. Oh and I also need a bring home outfit.

But do you think thats enough for size NB? I didnt want to go to crazy because I dont know what size baby I will have and how long he would even fit in NB. Idk, maybe im under estimating the amount of clothes he will go through???

What do you think?

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
September 22nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's probably enough NB, but you might want to start getting some 0-3 also. Babies do go through a whole lot of clothes, but I mean it's not like you can't wash whenever you want. I probably wouldn't buy a lot more NB because they grow out of it SO FAST, but I'd start getting some 0-3 and even 3-6 because it won't be long and lots of babies can wear 0-3 right away even.

September 22nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth76 View Post
That's probably enough NB, but you might want to start getting some 0-3 also. Babies do go through a whole lot of clothes, but I mean it's not like you can't wash whenever you want. I probably wouldn't buy a lot more NB because they grow out of it SO FAST, but I'd start getting some 0-3 and even 3-6 because it won't be long and lots of babies can wear 0-3 right away even.

I have tons of BRAND new NB size clothes that my DS hadn't worn and DS was 6lbs 10 oz when born. I would get 0-3 months about same amount as NB u have but focus on 3 to 6 and 6 to 9 My DS can still wear some of his 6 to 9 t-shirts from like babies r us and Macy's etc. He's 13 months and wear 12 months and some 18 month tops.

September 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds like plenty. I agree get more 0-3 stuff since you don't know how big the baby will be. Maybe a pack of long sleeved/short sleeved onesies, a few sleepers or footie pjs, and I'd throw in a pack of bottoms. The one thing my mom keeps reminding me is don't go crazy with the cute outfits. Babies want to be snuggly and cozy so those pjs and sleepers are going to come in handy!

I would rather not have enough than have too much. If worse comes to worse you have DH run on to target or Walmart to grab another set of onesies or something for under 10 bucks.

Also everyone will have their own opinion on what you do and do not need based on their own experiences/formed opinions. Every baby is different and you'll do what's best!

Sounds like you have a terrific NB spread at your house!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
September 23rd, 2012, 06:21 AM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I think that's enough NB. And I agree about the cutesy outfits. When DD was a NB she lived in baby gowns and sleepers... that's all they do at that point anyway, might as well be comfy.

All the NB I've seen only goes up to 8 lbs. When DD was born she was 8lb 8 oz, so we were really only in NB for a VERY short period. I would personally buy more 0-3 if you're worried about not having enough.

But at 0-3 I would definitely have more than 10 onesies, unless you do laundry daily or every other day. Leaky diapers, leaky bottles, and spit up can have you changng clothes more frequently than you might think.

September 23rd, 2012, 06:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Also, if you feel like you might have a surplus, leave the tags on some of it so if you end up not using it, you can re-sell it for a decent price.

September 23rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
In reality babies don't need a TON of clothes in one size, just cause they grow and most people can wash the clothes quickly when they start running out. *I* have to buy a ton though because we don't have a washing machine so its usually only once a week that we wash clothes.
September 23rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i honestly wouldnt even buy "newborn" im starting with all 0-3 because x was in newborn for maybe a week, and i do not even think that long. he was 8lbs 13ozs when born...so im figuring this one to be around the same.

since we are having winter babies i am thinking i will buy more and more oneies and stuff because that is what baby will be in the most....

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

September 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would also say you have enough newborn. I am also not buying any newborn. My first daughter was 7 lb 10 oz and my second was 8 lb 9 oz. Newborn goes up to 8 lbs and neither of my girls needed it.

DH and I personally loved the gowns the most for the first few weeks though and most of them are set to fit at birth. They make diaper changes the easiest.

September 24th, 2012, 11:08 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok thanks guys! So I am done with newborn and will just start getting a few 0-3. And worse comes to worse, I can always have DH run out to walmart and get some packs of onesies if I dont have enough clothes when hes born.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
September 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSmiles View Post
Ok thanks guys! So I am done with newborn and will just start getting a few 0-3. And worse comes to worse, I can always have DH run out to walmart and get some packs of onesies if I dont have enough clothes when hes born.
I think you are in much better shape than you realize! It seems like it is really hard to tell if you have enough until that peanut is born but onesies and sleepers are good investments! Also blankets are always good so that if you think the baby is cold, just wrap them up! Unless you are birthing a toddler sized infant, blankets will always fit
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
September 24th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran
I think that is plenty for nb, especially if you'll be washing every few days I would go on to stocking bigger sizes now, like the other gals have said! I'm going to be sewing some for my newbie and I'm planning to do 7-10 of each style in the layette pattern, so I think that's plenty.
September 24th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Like you mentioned, it might not be a bad idea to wait until he's born to get more if need be.

*Most* babies out grow NB pretty quick or so it seems from what I've heard others mention. We didn't have to buy DS hardly any clothes until he got past 12m because we had gotten sooo much from people. We had a TON of NB! He was 8lb 4oz and wore NB for about 1 1/2 months. I thought it was quite funny cause I've heard people say their babies were like 7lbs and only wore NB for 2wks or so and then here is my 8lb baby who just didn't grow quick I guess lol so it never hurts to wait and see how your baby will be
September 24th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree! I think you have plenty of newborn stuff! Way to be on top of it, mama!

I am another one who doesn't even bother with newborn sized stuff. My girls were 8 lbs 15 oz and 8 lbs 2 oz and neither of them used newborn clothing. Just all that sweet baby chub, I guess.

I agree that sleepers are AWESOME! I have girls clothes out the wazoo, so I'm not buying much of anything in the way of attire for Bean... except more sleepers! I never seem to have enough of those! Plus, most fit from birth to 9 months, so you know they will fit for a while and you'll get some good use out of them.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search