Found out something scary about Graco strollers...

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By marybeth76
  • 2 Post By Briar08
  • 2 Post By Babyschultz
  • 1 Post By mommysc2
  • 1 Post By WENDYLL22
  • 1 Post By Xtapolapocet
  • 2 Post By Jamiesquared

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
So...we went to Babies R Us about the stroller. Someone decided to get one for us as a gift and opted not to get the one we registered for, but one they thought was better for us. Needless to say we both were irritated and decided we were going to go and get the one we wanted...that is until we met a very informative salesman!

When we were looking at the strollers a very well trained salesman assisted us, we advised him the stroller we had selected (Graco) and the reasons for it. He promptly stated that he was not an advocate of Graco. We asked "why?" He took his hand, hit the 'handle' to the car seat/carrier portion of the stroller and it flipped out backwards and landed face down on the floor -- it was locked in when he did this. My husband and I just stood there in shock! We asked him which stroller he advocated, he directed us to the Chicco. After demonstrating how the car seat locks into place with metal brackets and the one button setup and take down, we were sold.

While the price of a Chicco is higher than a Graco, one can never put a price on their child's safety. Please consider a different brand than Graco if you're selecting a stroller, the car seats are high rated and the design of the stroller is much more 'user friendly'. It's certainly worth looking into for anyone (like us) who are complete n00bs at this parent thing.

This is the unit we selected

September 24th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you got a carseat and stroller you like!

However, I just wanted to put a word in for Graco. We had a Graco stroller/carseat combo with both of our kids and the carseat locked in and would not flip out. Believe me, I've seen our kids knock the entire thing over and send it flying and the carseat didn't budge (there was no baby in it at the time, lol!). I've also seen newer Graco strollers that have a locking mechanism over the foot of the carseat so that it won't flip out. So either he wanted you to buy something more expensive, or maybe each individual stroller is different, but there are lots of great Graco options out there. I just didn't want people to be scared away by misinformation. I have heard really great things about Chicco as well.

September 24th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree.

Evenflo had an issues years ago that the handle onthe carseat would flip while you were carrying it. Only 2 models out of like 12 models had this issue. I didnt bother boycotting it but I did as you are doing and spread the word.

Even better, ask for the make/model of the stroller he showed you and then try that little experiment yourself elsewhere.

I find that toys r us doesnt always put their showcase items together fully since its not going to be sold. It could be that this wasnt constructed properly bc it wasnt going to be sols.

But, if this is an issue at other stores also....then I would look at boycotting THAT model and make and finding all the models within that make. (bc several will be listed)

Mykelti James 01.21.13
September 24th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had a Graco since my DD was born 6 years ago and we've had no issues with them whatsoever.

Glad you found one you liked and are comfortable with though.
Lacey_619 and Xtapolapocet like this.

Last edited by Babyschultz; September 24th, 2012 at 05:49 AM.
September 24th, 2012, 06:39 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I always had a Graco stroller and and this is baby #3 for us and we never had a problem or even heard about any problems. We are also using graco this time around.......I am happy you got a stroller you feel more comfortable with though.....
Xtapolapocet likes this.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
September 24th, 2012, 07:45 AM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Geez. I am a bit of a klutz when it comes to anything mechanical so I would have appreciated a salesman showing me the operation errors and such. I am just glad overall that you got what you went for and came out satisfied. I wish I did more research on baby products sometimes.
Xtapolapocet likes this.

September 24th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Veteran
I had a graco with both my kids and had no issues. Thanks ladies for who posted the positive comments as I was nervous reading the first post. And I do agree about BRU not putting stuff together properly. And there are good and bad stories about everything out there.

Mom to Ryan (11) and Ashley (4)
Expecting #3 January 9/2013

September 24th, 2012, 07:52 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a graco travel system that I've used for my previous two kiddos. Haven't had any major issues with it. THrew out the carseat though cause it's expiring. Doubt I'll get a travel system again cause I don't really think I'll need to use the carseat in stroller during the winter months.

September 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth76 View Post
I'm glad you got a carseat and stroller you like!

However, I just wanted to put a word in for Graco. We had a Graco stroller/carseat combo with both of our kids and the carseat locked in and would not flip out. Believe me, I've seen our kids knock the entire thing over and send it flying and the carseat didn't budge (there was no baby in it at the time, lol!). I've also seen newer Graco strollers that have a locking mechanism over the foot of the carseat so that it won't flip out. So either he wanted you to buy something more expensive, or maybe each individual stroller is different, but there are lots of great Graco options out there. I just didn't want people to be scared away by misinformation. I have heard really great things about Chicco as well.
Thanks for posting this!!

I don't think he did it just for us to buy something more expensive, he showed us the locking mechanisms on them (plastic) and the locking mechanisms on the chicco were metal. He was showing us multiple strollers and some of them were very poorly constructed, others seemed to be better by design. The scary part was that the unit was locked and it flipped out, I don't know how old the strollers were that you've used (they may have been better designed). Apparently this is a flaw with some of the new units, I suspect they'll be recalled after a while due to this.

I know nothing about any of this stuff, but I am sure glad we went and found someone who does! The entire thing is a mess trying to sort out what is best for the little one. Seeing as this was a newer model that did this, I wanted to make sure and share that information for anyone who is out shopping for strollers currently.
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

September 24th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post
I agree.

Evenflo had an issues years ago that the handle onthe carseat would flip while you were carrying it. Only 2 models out of like 12 models had this issue. I didnt bother boycotting it but I did as you are doing and spread the word.

Even better, ask for the make/model of the stroller he showed you and then try that little experiment yourself elsewhere.

I find that toys r us doesnt always put their showcase items together fully since its not going to be sold. It could be that this wasnt constructed properly bc it wasnt going to be sols.

But, if this is an issue at other stores also....then I would look at boycotting THAT model and make and finding all the models within that make. (bc several will be listed)
Thanks for the post!

I really should find out which model that was, apparently it has a flaw. It's the only one he demonstrated for us (they did have other Graco's there, but the one I am speaking of is the one we were thinking about getting).

I am not sure what the issue is with assembly, but anyone could make a mistake while putting a unit together (even an inexperienced new parent), I guess I would rather take the safest route possible. The only security Graco has for their car seat/carrier portion is elastic straps with plastic ends (which we all know elastic does not stay strong, the more the elastic is stretched/pulled). Chicco isn't dependent on elastic and plastic (on the unit we purchased), it's all metal. So it's metal brackets with metal locking mechanisms. I guess I am just afraid that if that plastic on the store model is already that bad from being 'tested' by parents/shoppers, it will not be safe with daily wear and tear. It's all so frustrating!!!!!

I had done a lot of research on Graco, which is why we had chosen that model, they were all high reviewed by parents. The safety wasn't really something touched on in the reviews, the biggest complaints was the bulk and heaviness of their products (all of them). There was a LOT of griping about it. The things reviewed didn't include safety, the only issue of safety was in the company review who said their car seat was safety rated. The car seat he flipped out of there...we had already locked it in (ourselves) and had tried to pull it out and it wouldn't budge. We just did not know that it could flip out if tugged or pulled on just right. I want it to be secure not only vertical but horizontal as well! Which is (again) why we ended up with the one we have.

The next time we go to BRU, I will check and see which model that was and pass that information along. Hopefully we won't have to be in there for a while yet..hahaha I've been in that store too many times over the last 2 months, I don't want to see them for a while.

Either way...I appreciate all of the feedback! It's been one scary experience trying to figure out what is best (even with reading all the reviews), especially when one demonstration shows you the things the reviews don't tell you!

September 25th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Pregnant with #2
We all have to make decisions on safety, pricing, options for all of our baby gear but I would definitely research more before going off of a sales rep at any baby store
joellejello and Babyschultz like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search