Travel with a newborn

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mrzvvz
  • 1 Post By Lintu
  • 1 Post By mistletoe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Host of March '10 PR
Interested in thoughts from BTDT moms who have traveled with a newborn/infant, or mommies who are planning on traveling with this baby in the early months.
We've been offered the opportunity to travel to Europe when this baby would be around 3 months. I'm still weighing it all out in my head but would love to hear from mommies who have BTDT!
September 24th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Veteran
would like to hear more about this too, we are planning to travel to Asia from US when my baby is 2-3 months
LadieBug likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

September 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So much easier to travel with an infant than a six month old! I'm planning on visiting with the in-laws in FL (they go for a month every year). We've never been so I told dh that we're going while in on maternity leave!

September 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would do it. It's so easy to travel with a newborn!
LadieBug likes this.

September 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Pregnant with #2
We took Brendan to Aruba when he was just under 4 months old. We will be going in April when baby girl is going to be around 2 months old. What types of information are you looking for? Just overall experience?

September 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Host of March '10 PR
I suppose my biggest concerns are time difference, sticking to babies schedule, and health risks of traveling with a newborn. And the biggest question running through my mind- will the trip actually be worth it? Will it actually be enjoyable, or will I be too preoccupied with making sure baby is ok?
September 25th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm flying from Germany to Chicago in may, Traveling from Europe to America(fall asleep in the early evening and wake up ealry am) is easier than flying from America to Europe(fall asleep in the early am and wake up in the early evening) I've made the trip over 20 times but you can start changing the babies patterns 1-2 weeks before you leave otherwise you might find yourself up all night and sleeping all day when you arrive, and remember Europe closese early 7pm/8pm stores close..It can be done and it can be enjoyable with a little prep work
September 25th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Pregnant with #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadieBug View Post
I suppose my biggest concerns are time difference, sticking to babies schedule, and health risks of traveling with a newborn. And the biggest question running through my mind- will the trip actually be worth it? Will it actually be enjoyable, or will I be too preoccupied with making sure baby is ok?
Let's see...I did not experience time zone issues just because we stayed in ET the whole time. In terms of sticking to the babies schedule, you have a daughter so think back to when she was about 3 months old...thats when they are just able to start a schedule really (and thats with a willing infant lol) so if you look at it as though you can just wait it out a little longer to start one you will be A-OK! Also infants that age can sleep almost anywhere through anything. Brendan was just starting to get used to a 7pm bedtime when we went to Aruba and we were able to stick with it just because he was so young. We would go back to our room around 6 and feed him while we got showered up and by 7 we wrapped him a light blanket and into the stroller he went where he would sleep while we ate dinner, walked around etc. It worked out well for us just because he slept so much at that age I think the biggest inconvenience of the trip was taking all of his gear (bottles, formula, diapers, clothes and since he was young he needed a lot of all that stuff). He was the EASIEST part of the trip! At the time our pedi told us the same thing pretty much that the age is great for traveling because of how much they sleep, how they cant move much so you arent chasing them everywhere in unknown areas, no need for child proofing etc. and it was really true for us. Now we had an easy baby...he slept really well, ate steadily, wasnt much of a crier etc. Maybe if that had been a little different then our trip may have gone different too? I love looking back at the photos of our first family trip

September 25th, 2012, 07:08 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We'll be taking ours over to Europe for a little more than a month when she's 3-4 months old.

My father and mother's first trip to Europe was a camping trip that included my 6-week old younger sister, me at a horrible 2, another sister at 5 and my 80+ year old grandfather. The baby even had colic. It is still an incredible memory for them -- if filled with a few exasperating -- and now very funny -- stories. So even as a FTM, I'm a firm believer that it can work and be great.

And as for the "stuff," you can buy the diapers, formula, etc. over there. And in my personal opinion, the clothes patterns in Europe are far cuter, so if you run short, you have a good reason to go shopping. (I'm kind of planning on this. ) I've also found that many countries in Europe that I've lived in or traveled through are a lot more courteous and amenable to having a child.

In the end it's certainly a personal decision, but I know that I'm really looking forward to our travels.
Jamiesquared likes this.
September 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Pregnant with #2
It depends on where you are going on whether they will have the stuff you are using and whether the price is dramatically increased. For us, we were going to an island that has huge import taxes so diapers/formula etc are double the cost of the US (if you can believe that!). Also, they did not have Enfamil formula so thats another reason I had to bring it...I didnt want to use Similiac or the Dutch brands they had.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search