Quick question for STM moms--baby shoes

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2012, 09:12 PM
mrssws's Avatar Veteran
OK I'm finally doing my registry and I had a question about shoes. Do newborns go through size 0 fast? Is it better to start off getting size 1 shoes? Also someone had suggested to not even get newborn shoes and just have LO wear socks the first couple of weeks??? I am so lost.

September 24th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I use socks when they're little. Easier and cheaper.
mommysc2 likes this.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 24th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use socks that look like shoes! Shoes for newborns are a waste of money. Most of the time they just fall off. Yes they might look cute, but they are worthless otherwise.
Lacey_619 and mommysc2 like this.

September 24th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Host of March '10 PR
Although they are adorable, infant shoes dont really serve any other purpose than looking cute. They don't stay on so they are more of a pain in the butt than anything. Until they are crawling/walking, there is really no need for them.
Jamiesquared and mommysc2 like this.
September 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
I personally am not doing shoes either, their so adorable and Im tempted to get some just to put around rearview mirror, but they are quite useless until their up and around on their feet

September 24th, 2012, 10:03 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used socks but even if i had wanted to use shoes the newborn size wouldve NEVER fit my DS' big feet hehe!

September 25th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was that FTM who had all the cutest NB shoes and I'll tell u by the time we got out the house one shoe would be off and both would be in diaper bag by the time we got to destination. Socks are the best way to go, u can also get socks that look like shoes/sneakers.

September 25th, 2012, 06:07 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We skipped the shoes, too! I'm a big fan of the Robeez shoes/slippers!!! We've owned several pairs!

September 25th, 2012, 06:20 AM
mrssws's Avatar Veteran
Thanks ladies!!!

September 25th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Host of March '10 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post
We skipped the shoes, too! I'm a big fan of the Robeez shoes/slippers!!! We've owned several pairs!
I'm a big advocate of soft-bottomed shoes for young children and early walkers... but we've got quite some time before we get into these conversations
MommaTooters likes this.
September 25th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, skip the shoes! In FL I even find socks to be a huge PITA, lol, and we almost never wear them, but I'll need to stock up on them for this January baby I guess.

September 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Pregnant with #2
Yep I say skip the shoes too! My son did not wear shoes until he was at least 4 months old. He wore socks mostly when we went out but in the house he always had PJs/sleepers/swaddled at night so he didnt use them then either.

September 25th, 2012, 07:55 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd skip on buying them til after baby's a little older. You don't know how their feet will be. My son doesn't fit into any shoes well. He's 13 months old and mainly just goes everywhere earing socks. Really need to find some soft soled shoes for him, but I'm nervous to order stuff online cause his feet are so wide I rather try them on him first.

September 25th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Pregnant with #2
^ I agree with that. My son has a high arch and some chubby fat on top of the arch so he also needs wides. He cant wear shoes that are not velcro straps yet because we cant get his foot in. It can be common to have wide feet for the first couple of years until they thin out as they get bigger. I am a shoe snob and would rather invest in a good pair of shoes that fit him properly at Stride Rite than have 5 stylish pairs from Gymboree/Childrens Place that arent comfortable or the right support for where he is at with walking. No offense to people who do but feet support and proper growth is very important to me.

September 25th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just used socks. DS had shoes but they always got kicked off so he honestly hardly ever wore them until he started walking at 11months.

BUT had we used shoes as a NB, size 0 would have fit him for a long time! He was only in a 3 when he started walking and those were kinda big on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1984 View Post
I'd skip on buying them til after baby's a little older. You don't know how their feet will be. My son doesn't fit into any shoes well. He's 13 months old and mainly just goes everywhere earing socks. Really need to find some soft soled shoes for him, but I'm nervous to order stuff online cause his feet are so wide I rather try them on him first.
DS also has chubby/wide feet! I never could find wide so I had to get a size bigger to get them to fit! They are alot better now and he can wear the correct size lol

If you don't care to buy shoes from Walmart or Kmart, we got DS's first pair of 'real' shoes that he used for walking there. They fit him perfectly and are made for when kids start walking. They are white and soft soled. Not so soft that they can't walk around outside with them but are good for when they are just starting out. And they are only $15 *I think* so no wasting money on shoes they won't wear long

September 25th, 2012, 08:12 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, shoes on littles are useless. I think the first pair I even tried to put on my son was a size 3 and that was just for pictures then they came right off. He wore a 4 for a short time when he started walking, but rarely wore shoes when learning to walk, it's so much better for them to be barefoot when learning to walk. We then got some softsoled shoes for outside for a couple months before moving to hard soles.

September 25th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiesquared View Post
^ I agree with that. My son has a high arch and some chubby fat on top of the arch so he also needs wides. He cant wear shoes that are not velcro straps yet because we cant get his foot in. It can be common to have wide feet for the first couple of years until they thin out as they get bigger. I am a shoe snob and would rather invest in a good pair of shoes that fit him properly at Stride Rite than have 5 stylish pairs from Gymboree/Childrens Place that arent comfortable or the right support for where he is at with walking. No offense to people who do but feet support and proper growth is very important to me.

Yes! This! I sold children's shoes for a high end retailer for years, and people don't realize how malleable kid's feet are. Not as babies, of course, but it is a huge mistake to buy bigger shoes for a child to grow into, that is just going to make a child's foot wide and possibly flat.

I'm a 5.5WW, btw, (my feet are practically round) can you tell I grew up poor, lol?
Jamiesquared likes this.

September 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Host of March '10 PR
Since everyone else is admitting to it, I'll profess that I'm a "shoe snob" too.

Also, as many are saying, lots of babies tend to start off with really chubby, wide feet that are impossible to fit a shoe to. My DD was the opposite- she had tiny, narrow feet so shoes wouldn't stay on. Even her socks were gigantic for the longest time! She's 2 1/2 now and wears a toddler size 6 regular width. Not sure if that's normal or still considered on the small side?
Jamiesquared likes this.
September 25th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Shoes arent something babies need. In fact they say its best to let them crawel and walk around bare foot as much as possible. Their bones are soft annd malliable still and putting their feet in shoes with arches that are too high or too low cann damage their feet. Used shoes are esp bad for this.

Since we are in Canada, we throw some Robeez on the little ones when we go out.
Jamiesquared likes this.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
September 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Pregnant with #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadieBug View Post
Since everyone else is admitting to it, I'll profess that I'm a "shoe snob" too.

Also, as many are saying, lots of babies tend to start off with really chubby, wide feet that are impossible to fit a shoe to. My DD was the opposite- she had tiny, narrow feet so shoes wouldn't stay on. Even her socks were gigantic for the longest time! She's 2 1/2 now and wears a toddler size 6 regular width. Not sure if that's normal or still considered on the small side?
My son will be 22 months 10/7 and he is currently in a 6.5W, I dont think his feet look big but maybe they are for his age?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search