Leg cramps eeesshhh!

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So last night while I was sleeping I had about 5 leg cramps in my calfs. I would fall asleep and all of the sudden would be wide awake with crazy pain in my calfs. Does anyone have a special trick that works for them at keeping these charlie horses away? It just seems in the last few days i've become extremley pregnant my stomach has popped and i'm falling apart
September 26th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Stay hydrated!!! But here is some information I hope will help you.

Quote:
How can I prevent leg cramps?

Try these tips for keeping leg cramps at bay:

- Avoid standing or sitting with your legs crossed for long periods of time.
- Stretch your calf muscles regularly during the day and several times before you go to bed.
- Rotate your ankles and wiggle your toes when you sit, eat dinner, or watch TV.
- Take a walk every day, unless your midwife or doctor has advised you not to exercise.
- Avoid getting too tired. Lie down on your left side to improve circulation to and from your legs.
- Stay hydrated during the day by drinking water regularly.
- Try a warm bath before bed to relax your muscles.

Some research suggests that taking a magnesium supplement in addition to a prenatal vitamin may help some women avoid leg cramps. However, other research showed that magnesium supplements had no significant effect on the frequency or intensity of leg cramps during pregnancy. Check with your provider before taking any kind of supplement during pregnancy.
You may have heard that having leg cramps is a sign that you need more calcium, and that calcium supplements will relieve the problem. Though it's certainly important to get enough calcium, there's no good evidence that taking extra calcium will help prevent leg cramps during pregnancy. In fact, in one well-designed study, pregnant women taking calcium got no more relief from leg cramps than those taking a placebo.
What's the best way to relieve a cramp when I get one?

If you do get a cramp, immediately stretch your calf muscles: Straighten your leg, heel first, and gently flex your toes back toward your shins. It might hurt at first, but it will ease the spasm and the pain will gradually go away.

You can try to relax the cramp by massaging the muscle or warming it with a hot water bottle. Walking around for a few minutes may help too.
Source: Baby Center - Leg Cramps During Pregnancy

September 26th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get these at night! I just try and stretch my leg so that the pain will stop. It takes awhile to go away. They suck! Luckily I haven't had one in a month or so. I too feel so pregnant lately. My stomach is getting big and last night I was so uncomfortable while sleeping. I felt like I couldn't breath and every position I tried was not working for me. I can tell the 3rd trimester is near.

September 26th, 2012, 11:07 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Hope you don't mind me jumping in from another DDC. The only time I have ever had charlie horses is when I have been pregnant. And they are INCREDIBLY painful. From what I understand, many times they can occur because you are low on potassium. I try to eat a banana every day. So far this time, I haven't had any (knock on wood), but I can't remember at exactly what point I usually get them.

Also, my mom gets them now, and she swears by dill pickle juice. Maybe gross, BUT she says it works much quicker than a banana. She doesn't drink the whole jar, but a good swig of it.

September 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I get these during the night too. I drink a ton of water during the day and have a banana almost daily, but it isn't helping. I have to get up and walk around to make mine go away when they happen.

September 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Veteran
I have also heard the banana thing. I do try and eat one a day.

If you place your feet on something cold (bathroom floor or something) they will go away right away. Maybe keep a frozen ice pack by your bed and should keep cold till morning as when I get them I cannot make it to bathroom floor. Hope this helps as they REALLY hurt.

Mom to Ryan (11) and Ashley (4)
Expecting #3 January 9/2013

September 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Veteran
I usually just try and flex my toes upward and heel downward as soon as I feel one coming on and it helps!
September 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Host of March '10 PR
Owwie those things really hurt! I haven't gotten any this pregnancy but had a few last pregnancy. I used to get them a lot on college because I'd walk/stand in heels a lot.
Many good tips have been posted, I hope you find some relief!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search