Oye.

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marybeth76

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
*This post has no point except to complain about my MIL, lol.

So, tomorrow is my level II u/s at MFM. We only have one car right now (shopping for a minivan but haven't purchased yet) and hubby can't take off work tomorrow and he is required to have a car while at work because he travels to visit people at their homes (he's a chaplain).

So my only options were to rent a car and go there by myself with both kids, or ask my MIL to come help. I was terrified at the prospect of lying on the u/s table for a half hour with my kids running free and dismantling the room, so I asked her to come. I have NEVER EVER asked her for help with ANYthing, because I can't stand her and the feeling is mutual and she is just ridiculous. She is an alcoholic, and about 6 months ago we told her she was no longer welcome around our children until she went to AA and got a 6 month chip (this was after she drank two bottles of wine and fell on top of my 5 year old when she tried to give him a hug). So she supposedly got her 6 month chip, but the last time she was here, she and her husband went off for lunch by themselves (which they have NEVER done before, we are always included) and when they got back to our house she was acting the way she used to, nasty and mean and staggering into walls, etc. Then she was "sick" the next day and laid in our recliner all morning with her eyes closed.

Anyway, of course she jumped at the chance to come "help", because she is always telling me she will come help if I need her, blah blah blah. So she will be here in a few hours because of course she has to spend the whole day here today since the u/s is tomorrow . . and I have no clue when she's even leaving, for all I know she may be staying through the weekend.

I'm planning to just have her watch the kids while we are all together, but I'm not excited about her sticking her nose all up in my biz while I'm with the GC and the doctor. She is the type who will try to take over doctor appts and do all the talking, etc. and I swear I might punch her in the face. We'll see. I figure me being annoyed is the lesser of two evils, because I don't actually trust her to watch my kids if I can't at least see what's going on. I really just want her in the u/s room to make sure the kids don't get into things they shouldn't, etc. I'm moderately worried they might tell me that no one is allowed in the u/s room except for me, since I've never been to this place before.

September 26th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry you have to be in that position. It is never easy dealing with a family member that is an alcoholic. It is very smart to have her come along and at least if she has to stay out in the waiting room with them there will be other people there too. Good luck today, and enjoy seeing your little one.

September 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH and DD were allowed in the US room for the entire level II scan. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

I dont trust my mother around my kids AT ALL.

This is the women who, after we lost bothh my dad and stepdad in 12 months, phoned up my 12 year old niece and starting yelling about how lazy her mother (my sister) is and how SHE (my mother) is DYING of stomache cancer and no one cares.

My niece cut up herself after that call and none of us knew why.

Of course my mum was lying. She is healthy as a horse. But she needs ALL the attention ALL the time and will go to insane lengths to get it.

So, I hear ya, and I agree with everything you have done.

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Last edited by Briar08; September 26th, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
September 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys. She has been here all afternoon and is driving me CRAYYYYYYYYYY.

Only good thing is we're going out for dinner in a bit so at least we'll be out of the house where it's easier to ignore her. Plus hubby will be with us so that makes it a little more bearable.

She's asking all these weird questions, like when I told her why I am going to this particular place for the u/s (because I am farther along than they typically do the anatomy scan) "So what does it mean to be farther along ..." "Umm, I'm ... farther .. along .. in the pregnancy?" "Yes, but what does that MEAN .." "Umm, I'm . . more weeks pregnant? Closer to delivery? Baby is older?!?" "I know what it means . . but what does it MEAN .."

OMG. I have NO IDEA what she is asking. Plus she is getting onto the kids for every.little.thing and it's driving me bonkers. And she brought a bunch of fruit and english muffins for them to eat, which SEEMS nice enough, but not when you know that it's a not-so-subtle dig at how she assumes we parent. She always brings them food and tells them how "THIS is a HEALTHY snack" because she thinks we let them eat junk food 24/7. One of these days I am going to tell her that my kids eat PLENTY HEALTHY and FFS someone who drinks 95% of their calories has NO BUSINESS telling anybody how to eat anyway.
Lacey_619 likes this.

September 26th, 2012, 02:04 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh that really sucks :-( hugs to you! I haven't talked to my mother in weeks, and she lives five minutes from me, visits my aunt who lives 10 ft next door...and it feels awesome! I sure could use the tiny bit of help she occasionally gave but I don't miss it that much lol

Hopefully her stay is short lived!

September 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry for you guys who your own mamas are the ones you have to avoid I did have some extremely rough years with my mother and went a few years w/o talking to her because of it, but now she is my best friend and I am SO grateful for her. I wish SHE lived here near us instead of my MIL. At least MIL lives almost 3 hours away so it's not like we see her a LOT.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search