I Failed **Got 1 hour numbers

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2012, 06:17 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
I was going to write the EXACT same thing! You are NOT bad mom! It has nothing to do with how much sugar you do or don't eat. There is likely nothing you could have done to change the outcome. It's all about how pregnancy effects your body and it's mechanics.

Pregnancy is an insulin resistant state. The reason for this is because some sugar needs to be retained in your blood to be passed to the baby to help fuel growth. Usually insulin keeps your sugar in-check, but during pregnancy, your insulin needs to be lower to allow your baby to get some sugar.

For some women, their body naturally produces even smaller than typical amounts of insulin, which can cause GD and it's related issues, especially with fetal growth (some women with GD have bigger babies because they are getting more sugar than is average).

Also keep in mind that false positives happen. Just because you "failed" the 1 hour test does not mean you have GD. If the one hour test was enough to diagnose it, there wouldn't be a three hour test. Having different levels of testing is all a process of narrowing down the women most likely to have GD.

Please don't beat yourself up. There is still a lot that's not known about GD: all the causes, all the triggers, all the risk factors, etc. Heck! You can have GD with one pregnancy and then not with the next. And there really doesn't seem to a whole lot of explanations at to why.

The fact that you are feeling bad is proof you are a GOOD mother! You want to do everything you can to ensure the best start for your baby. Bumps in the road happen... and it's okay to upset when they do. Just don't blame yourself! Vivi is lucky to have such a conscientious mommy!

The more I learn from you guys and talking with a nurse the more I am starting to see that some extra cookies or too much ice cream one day couldn't have caused this. It might mean those things go away the remainder of the pregnancy, but I guess I couldn't have prevented it. It's just not something I thought I would have to deal with and I am an anxious person to begin with. Like any mom I just want a healthy baby and don't want to do anything that might hurt her.

On the bright side, this has been a real wake up call that, GD or not, I am going to be more careful with my diet and exercise! 20-30 min a day of walking minimum plus some light weights and whatever else I can throw in there!
Lucky Mama likes this.

September 28th, 2012, 06:59 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Got my 1 hour numbers when I went to pick up lab stuff: 159. Anything over 130 is considered high. Not sure just how bad that is but it's definitely over :/

September 28th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad you are feeling a little better and not blaming yourself. Pregnancy is known for it's curve balls, for sure. Some you have control over, some you don't. You just do your best.

Did they have you fast for the test? Just curious.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September 28th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
aww I"m sorry you didn't pass I've heard of people not passing the 1hr one but passing the 3hr so then they don't have GD. Hopefully thats the case for you

Like the other ladies said, it doesn't make you a bad mom! I get high blood pressure, somtimes eating salt sets it off and sometimes it just gets high. Doesn't make me a bad mom, just pregnancy is crazy! And I'm pretty sure its not your weight because I am DEF OVER weight and didn't have it with DS (wasn't over weight then though) and don't have it this time.

Hope its just a fluke

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search